Questions about Carnival's Alaskan Cruise out of Seattle

Eli_6

Please don't move this to the Alaskan board as I am specifically asking about CCL's Alaskan cruise.

My husband and I along with our 2 boys (age 8 and 9) are going on the Carnival Freedom May 24 to 31 out of Seattle to Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria.  Any general recommendations?  We have never been on either this ship or to Alaska before.

My other question is that on day 3 of the cruise, we are cruising the Tracy Arm Fjord, but the ship does not dock.  I booked the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer as it is the only excursion allowed and board directly from the ship.  It is $600 for 4 of us to do this excursion and I was wondering if it was worth it from the standpoint of being able to get a much better view, etc. or is will we basically be able to see the same thing from the ship?  We will be taking a helicopter to a glacier at Juneau so will get to see a glacier up close.  

If you're interested in seeing the coastline up close with a local guide explaining the sights this is the excursion you want. The glaciers are moving and the sound of it cracking apart at the waters edge is something you have never heard. When a sheet of ice crashes into the water it gives meaning to the power of nature. Now any good visit to a pristine natural area should include wildlife. Though sometimes shy, they are there. I feel an up close look is worth the price of the ticket.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Please don't move this to the Alaskan board as I am specifically asking about CCL's Alaskan cruise.

My husband and I along with our 2 boys (age 8 and 9) are going on the Carnival Freedom May 24 to 31 out of Seattle to Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria.  Any general recommendations?  We have never been on either this ship or to Alaska before.

My other question is that on day 3 of the cruise, we are cruising the Tracy Arm Fjord, but the ship does not dock.  I booked the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer as it is the only excursion allowed and board directly from the ship.  It is $600 for 4 of us to do this excursion and I was wondering if it was worth it from the standpoint of being able to get a much better view, etc. or is will we basically be able to see the same thing from the ship?  We will be taking a helicopter to a glacier at Juneau so will get to see a glacier up close.  

With going so early in the season, the fjord will still have quite a lot of ice so the ship will not get nearly as close to the glacier as the small excursion boat.  If you want to get as close to the glacier as possible, go with the excursion.   We’ve done Alaska twice….once early June and once 3rd week of July.  I could not believe how much closer we were able to get to the glacier in late July.  It was a whole new experience!  

• Like 1

That is the one excursion that we are absolutely, definitely going to take.  I've heard absolutely magical things about it - well traveled souls proclaiming it to be the best excursion they've ever taken.  

We are still waffling about flightseeing, though I expect sometime soon I'll find myself willing to shell out for a flight excursion that includes a glacier hike. This is all alien to my Florida bones, and I think I'd regret worrying about the cost when we got home if we didn't do these special explorations.  It would be like going to the Galapagos and not taking any of the day tours!

• Like 1

We did that exact same itinerary when my kids were 12 & 14. I chose not to book Tracy Arm excursion and did not feel like we missed out on anything. The day was still amazing and the ship got pretty close and we definitely saw calving.

However, I am sure the excursion is even more amazing but for me it came down to price. There are so many great excursions on the Alaska cruise and I just couldn't justify the extra $600. Someday when my kids are older I would love to cruise again with just my husband and then I would choose that excursion. My children's greatest memories of Alaska is playing with musher puppies and sledding (Skagway). 🙂

• Like 1

We went on that same itinerary when my son was that age. It was amazing. We took the tour.  You definitely get much closer and thought it was worth the money.  We saw a big calving happen that they had been waiting on for a month they said, we saw seals on ice bergs, we got some great pictures of the ship as well while we were nearing the glacier.  Either way, you'll have a great time!!

• Like 1

Get ready to be amazed!  Don't forget binoculars.  On day 2 (if I recall right) a scientist/naturalist will board the ship and replace the annoying cruise director, talking on and off all day about what you're passing, as well as amazing facts about Alaska, animal facts and sightings, glaciers, Aurora Borealis, etc.  The naturalist will be on the bridge and announce things like "coming up on starboard side there's a grizzly bear with cub and she just caught a salmon. Look on the beach below the cliff 200 yards ahead on starboard side".

Unlike carribean cruises where you're at sea most of the time, you are going to be passing sights not-to-be-missed the entire cruise - you're not out in the Pacific, but sailing the "inside passage" which itself has amazing history.

In Skagway you can just walk around town, the buildings are still there from the 1800's, the wide streets, saloon doors, etc.  All of the towns the ship visits are real towns, charming to no end.  Window shopping is great in all three towns.  There is a Thai restaurant just off the main street that serves just-caught pacific salmon (much more delicious than atlantic salmon).

The small boat excursion is an excellent choice in Tracy Arm Fjord.  Tracy Arm Fjord is amazing even before you sail in it as you can see the water change color at entering, and watch eons of time - the naturalist will explain how the glacier once went all the way to the end of the fjord and provide details about how the retreating glacier over thousands of years is evidenced by the changing plant life - when you first enter there are trees, soon replaced by only bushes, later just tall grasses and last lichen and mosses only.

We were never expecting to cruise to Alaska, but we got one of the free cruise offers and when I asked my daughter where she wanted to go on the free cruise she said "whatever is most expensive".  I used to think we'd only go to sandy, warm water places on cruises but I couldn't have been more wrong.  We've now cruised to Alaska three times and it is my favorite Carnival cruise itinerary.  You are so good to treat your kids to this amazing experience!  Prepare to be amazed!

• Like 2

I will preface my post with ALASKAN EXCURSIONS are EXPENSIVE!

Did that (Tracy Arm Fjord) in August, good excursion to do. Also consider:

Skagway: White Pass Train early, that gives you time to wonder around the town.

Juneau: Helicopter, Airboat, glacier excursion. Very pricy but it was a bucket list item. Wife hates to flay but thought this one was awesome. Prepare to pay around 2K if all 4 of you do it. It was a blast.

Ketchikan: We did the crab boat thing with all you can eat Dungeness crabs, and then wondered around town. Wife bought jewelry, should have stayed on the ship that day.

Good luck and enjoy

• Like 2

Loved the Tracy Arm Excursion as did my entire traveling party.  DRESS WARM AND FOR WIND!  You are going up close to a glacier so it is freezing.  We all wore rain gear including rain pants with jackets, hats and gloves.  We were able to stay outside for the best views even thou it was drizzly. 

IMG_6847.JPG

• Like 1

We have cruised Tracy Arm Fjord twice. The second time was in September 2015 on the Crown Princess. The Captain was able to get us ALL THE WAY down to Sawyer Glacier and it was beautiful. I think the time of year was what helped as there was more time for the fjord to warm up. We stayed on the ship the whole time and there was a commentator onboard. Personally, I would not consider getting off of the ship for an excursion here, especially this expensive. We just moved around the ship a bit and took it all in.