Reserve SPA or wait for onboard specials

skivoodoo

I don't think there is anything to gain by booking in advance.  Your cabin will be peppered with fliers for different deals, and spa specials are pretty frequent.  Not only port days, but if bookings are slow there are specials like a menu of services - pick 3 for 99.  

I've even found deals that weren't advertised posted outside the spa, or had staff tell me about specials when I stopped by.  

Have never, ever had trouble booking an appointment / been told they are booked up.  

• Like 2

If you want a 60 minute massage, it doesn’t matter. If you are open to whatever is offered on a port day deal (usually a combination of treatments of some sort), wait. I always get a port day deal. Usually get a mini massage and facial of some sort.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skivoodoo said:

We are trying to decide on if we should book a SPA treatment ahead of time or wait to see what type of deals are given once onboard. 

Any advice is appreciated!

Very overpriced! Some ports you visit offer "beach" massages by locals so if you don't mind being outside, it can be a refreshing change (and less expensive).

2 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

Do the spa staff still give you the hard sell? I have avoided spa treatments for years because I felt badgered to buy products in the past. 

I had my first on board massage back in November, and the lady wrote out the stuff she recommended and told me about each item but wasn't at all pushy when I told her I needed to talk to my husband and see what was in the budget.  She just gave me the list she wrote down so I would know what to get if I came back.

13 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

Do the spa staff still give you the hard sell? I have avoided spa treatments for years because I felt badgered to buy products in the past. 

I've not typically had a bad experience with that.  I say no thanks, I don't need it, and that's that.  Only once, on a recent cruise, did the lady keep persisting and not give up.  I ended up telling her that I had said no, that she had now tried to sell this (I don't know, I counted 3x to keep trying the sell) and that she was spoiling my spa experience.  I then added I had planned on tipping but if she said anything more about buying products it wouldn't happen.  

It didn't spoil my experience but I did note it on the evaluation form you fill out afterwards.  It was still a decent massage.  I love getting a massage on a cruise, the motion of the ship just makes it that much more relaxing.  And that was an unusual experience for me - the pushy sales pitch.  I think most people can tell when they are getting a solid "no thanks."

20 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

I’ve never received a hard sell. Once they start offering items I tell them that I’m not purchasing any product and they let it go. Think it’s a wishy washy response like ‘let me think about it’ that gets them to sell harder.