Playing shows on TV that you have saved on your phone.

jeno

From a previous thread....

1.    Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.

2.    Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

3.    Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly).

4.    Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device."

Turning off the TV when finished, reset it to the original input when turned back on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

1.    Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.

This is the most difficult part of the instructions.

You need small hands or a pair of long nose plyers in order to plug in the HDMI cable. 

8 hours ago, jeno said:

I thought there was a thread about this, but I can’t find it.  Is it possible to play movies or TV shows you have saved on your iPhone or iPad onto the TV in your  cabin? 

Depends on the ship and the TV. I was able to do it on Regal and Royal, but not on Majestic.

• Like 1

I've seen a few threads where people have said that they are "locking" the remotes so that you cannot get into the TV menus to switch inputs, etc.  Some have said that you *might* get around that by taking your own universal remote...but if the "locking" is done at the TV level then that won't work.

Don't be too disappointed if you are not able to do this...

On 2/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, jeno said:

I thought there was a thread about this, but I can’t find it.  Is it possible to play movies or TV shows you have saved on your iPhone or iPad onto the TV in your  cabin? 

I don't think it's been mentioned that your IPhone or iPad will probably have a Lightning port on it, so you would need a Lightning to HDMI cable to connect from your device to the TV.

6 hours ago, culvercitycruiser said:

We were able to do this on the Majestic last month. 
there is a video that my boyfriend used to connect his laptop to the hdmi port. The hardest part was connecting the cable. There is a small space between the wall and the TV.  Bring you own cable and connector

This has always worked for us on all Princess ships.

Plus the added benefit of having my Roku unit remote which has earphones for silent viewing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 7:59 PM, culvercitycruiser said:

We were able to do this on the Majestic last month. 
there is a video that my boyfriend used to connect his laptop to the hdmi port. The hardest part was connecting the cable. There is a small space between the wall and the TV.  Bring you own cable and connector

Does anyone know if this is possible on the Ruby?

Or you can just get a big tablet or Chromebook and watch it that way, without having to deal with HDMI cables or constantly switching the settings on your tv. There are probably 100 or so movies on the ship system, along with many tv series, especially travel, and of course MUTS and entertainment on the ship. The other advantage of a tablet is that it's easier to use for wifi and the Princess app, so I find it easier to order food and drinks or to make dining reservations. Personally, I try to avoid sitting in my room watching a movie on a screen, because I can do that at home and I find the ocean and a cruise ship more interesting than any movie, even outside at night. The only thing I watch on the tv is the forward bridge cam, weather/location checks, and classical music streaming. 

• Like 1

In past years Princess did provide some movies that were considerable newer on their TV's but from what people have been posting lately almost all of them are old

The TV series programs were also very old an unless you've been living in cave for the last year, there not very entertaining unless you like to watch reruns, like the Love Boat. LOL 😁