FCC to cash refund - is it possible?

Hi all. 

I have been popping on here the past week trying to see if anyone else has mentioned this particular topic, so I do apologize if this is a repeat / duplicate of what I imagine is a common thread. While I have learned a lot about the current FCC usage rules, which is a really big help (especially being able to use as far out as 12/31/2022), I haven't found an answer to my specific question.

Our FCCs originated from two cancelled sailings, one in May 2020 and one in July 2020. They cover three passenger names.

We combined them and applied them in June 2021 towards a sailing dated April 2022. We (naively) assumed everything would be 'back to normal' by then.

We have received the updated Health Protocols ('Healthy Sailing Update') which is valid for cruises through April 14 2022 -- which is when ours departs. It's clear that vaccines are still mandatory, as are wearing facemasks etc.

Regardless of our actual vaccine status, am I able to telephone Royal Caribbean and request to cancel my cruise based on the health protocols, and ask to receive a monetary refund (of 100% of cruise moneys paid, NOT the 125% provided on the FCCs) for my future sailing?

Any experience or advice on this subject is very much so appreciated. We have over $3000 (almost $4000 with the 125%) tied up in this and while we have happily supported Royal Caribbean over the past two years, I'm in a position where I'd rather have my money back and be able to plan a cruise in the future that we want to take, as opposed to being forced to take one that doesn't suit our interests or needs simply because there is an expiry date involved.

Thank you for your time and help.

Edited by londongal796

Just now, londongal796 said:

Hi all. 

I have been popping on here the past week trying to see if anyone else has mentioned this particular topic, so I do apologize if this is a repeat / duplicate of what I imagine is a common threat. While I have learned a lot about the current FCC usage rules, which is a really big help (especially being able to use as far out as 12/31/2022), I haven't found an answer to my specific question.

Our FCCs originated from two cancelled sailings, one in May 2020 and one in July 2020. They cover three passenger names.

We combined them and applied them in June 2021 towards a sailing dated April 2022. We (naively) assumed everything would be 'back to normal' by then.

We have received the updated Health Protocols ('Healthy Sailing Update') which is valid for cruises through April 14 2022 -- which is when ours departs. It's clear that vaccines are still mandatory, as are wearing facemasks etc.

Regardless of our actual vaccine status, am I able to telephone Royal Caribbean and request to cancel my cruise based on the health protocols, and ask to receive a monetary refund (of 100% of cruise moneys paid, NOT the 125% provided on the FCCs) for my future sailing?

Any experience or advice on this subject is very much so appreciated. We have over $3000 (almost $4000 with the 125%) tied up in this and while we have happily supported Royal Caribbean over the past two years, I'm in a position where I'd rather have my money back and be able to plan a cruise in the future that we want to take, as opposed to being forced to take one that doesn't suit our interests or needs simply because there is an expiry date involved.

Thank you for your time and help.

I have been able to get FCC's refunded for clients sailing in March who cancelled as they could not meet protocols

• Like 2

I have had very good results with RCCL regarding FCCs and refunds but it rarely has been quick.  It seems if you talk to enough different people you eventually get what you need.  I have had FCCs switched to cash refunds and I even have had cruise fares paid with Gift Certificates returned as cash refunds.  I have retroactively applied FCCs to down payments and I have used FCCs to pay taxes and fees by booking a higher fare and then downgrading and getting a refund of the fare difference.  And this is all on the same booking.    

• Like 2

We canceled a Feb cruise in late Dec. They first told our TA we had to take a FCC. But a couple days later the TA emailed to say Royal was offering a refund. It sounded like Royals decision. (3 cabins involved all booked with thus TA.) We were so happy to see the refund in about 2 weeks.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that as long as the FCCs are a result of Cruise With Confidence they can be refunded in cash. In December  we got a cash refund for a cruise we cancelled that had 4 large CWC FCCs applied.  It can be done but it might take finding someone competent to help you make it happen.

• Like 2

I have a client that cancelled a cruise in 3/20 and received a FCC.  I rebooked him (and his son) for 3/21, then that did not happen.  I then rebooked them for 7/21, then that did not happen.  Keep in mind, each time I called in, I requested a full refund and was told no, they were not eligible.  Finally rebooked for 3/22.  When cruises started getting cancelled in January, he started getting concerned and said he did not want to go.  He was concerned about Covid in general and wasn't too thrilled with the whole Covid protocol. 

I called in January and asked to cancel.  I let the rep know that he was not interested in a FCC as he has absolutely no plans to cruise in the next year or 2.  I asked if I could get the clients money back and they said YES!  Refunds are taking 30-45+ days, but he's thrilled.

So LONG story short...IF you're cruising "soon" and you are not happy with the current Covid protocol (requirements, etc) then YES you can get a full refund. ($ actually paid)

• Like 3

Just a final note to add -- many thanks again all. I called up the 'cancellation' number and the first person I spoke to, after a 10minute hold, was able to sort it for me. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences so I knew to expect the 30-45day period for the refund to be processed. This gave me assurance that I was on the right path. I've noted all the details of my conversation and will keep an eye on my credit card statement. Thanks again everyone! 

Very sorry not to be cruising anytime soon but we'll get there eventually!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@londongal796 - keep us posted.  I'm on the fence post at the moment as well.  Remember when the days of going on a holiday meant joy?  Now, instead, with all that's going on around our big blue marble ... I'm just into staying put for abit with my cat in my lap and a warm cuppa tea as the snow starts to melt here in my part of Canada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lolly Pop said:

@londongal796 - keep us posted.  I'm on the fence post at the moment as well.  Remember when the days of going on a holiday meant joy?  Now, instead, with all that's going on around our big blue marble ... I'm just into staying put for abit with my cat in my lap and a warm cuppa tea as the snow starts to melt here in my part of Canada.

I couldn't have put it better myself -- I used to be so excited about my next big adventure and now the thought of international travel fills me with dread. There are sadly many unknowns and for myself, literally every single time we have travelled, a new variant has emerged which has nearly cancelled our plans every single time (and we've felt ourselves lucky!).

I called through to C&A as I am Diamond Plus, and asked for help resolving the issue. They put me on hold for a while and came back and their explanation is that the normal cancellation process causes the FCC to be created, but that there is still a ticket in the queue for them to process a full refund. So as long as I don't touch the FCC, they can still process the refund.

I'll take them at their word for now but I've noted down all the details of our conversation. They did assure me I will still receive a refund to my credit card, and it will be a few more days. We're about 2 weeks away from the '45 days max' period, so I'll keep an eye on my credit card for now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick update to confirm that I have received a full refund -- it appeared on my credit card on 19 March and I have given a good week just to make sure it fully 'landed' there. It's definitely there so I'm thrilled to have had a full refund. No idea what's up with the FCC, I was the only one of my party to receive one (there were three of us, and the FCC was only for my portion), I'm not going to try using it though as I have no need for it! I am very glad to have had a full refund in the end. I wish Royal Caribbean all the best and hope to cruise again with them in 2023 or later, but I couldn't see myself sailing this year. 

Wishing all the best to all of you as well, whether cruising or getting refunds! Take care!

• Like 2

I'm curious to see if anyone has received a refund on the FCCs's thru Celebrity.

I have a cruise booked for Alaska in August 0f 2022 and am not able to travel due to vaccination status.

Originally was booked for 2020 Caribbean which was cancelled then 2021 for Alaska also cancelled and finally 2022 Alaska.  I had hoped the protocols would have been relaxed but it doesn't seem that way.  I booked my cruise with Priceline and the original agent was not willing to help at all, she advised I email Celebrity and gave me an  inccorect email address.  I called and spoke to another agent last week.  She seemed more willing to help but never got back with me.  Yesterday I spoke to yet another agent, she spend all day trying to resolve the problem.  Going back and forth with Celebrity and finally was able to get a correct email address to the resolution team.  I forwarded the original message and was told would take 7 to 10 days before I would have an answer as to a cash refund instead of FCC's.

If anyone has had luck with refund from Celebrity and has any advise I would appreciate it.

I am totally bummed out that I will not be able to cruise this year and possibly ever!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gabriellarupert said:

If anyone has had luck with refund from Celebrity and has any advise I would appreciate it.

Welcome to CC and coming out of lurk mode.

You might get better replies if you posted this in the Celebrity section - this section is for RCI and info can and is likely to be different.

I have all of my FCC's accumulated from 2020 and 2021 cruises that were cancelled put on two cruises on Grandeur out of Miami in Nov 2022 and Dec 2022. If in Summer 2022 when I have to "pay up" on these 2 bookings, protocols have not been relaxed , I don't want to throw good money after bad. Could those who posted here offer their opinion as to whether I could get Cash back from all these FCC's (there were over a dozen ) or would the sailing have to be closer to today do you think. Royal is so hazy. Like someone else posted, I don't think if I cancel these we will ever cruise again. 

1 minute ago, Sirlancelot said:

Could those who posted here offer their opinion as to whether I could get Cash back from all these FCC's (there were over a dozen )

Very unlikely you'll get refund for any of them unless RCI cancels the sailing(s).

3 hours ago, Sirlancelot said:

I have all of my FCC's accumulated from 2020 and 2021 cruises that were cancelled put on two cruises on Grandeur out of Miami in Nov 2022 and Dec 2022. If in Summer 2022 when I have to "pay up" on these 2 bookings, protocols have not been relaxed , I don't want to throw good money after bad. Could those who posted here offer their opinion as to whether I could get Cash back from all these FCC's (there were over a dozen ) or would the sailing have to be closer to today do you think. Royal is so hazy. Like someone else posted, I don't think if I cancel these we will ever cruise again. 

Back in Nov/Dec I was able to cash out 4 large (~$25K total) FCCs that had been lumped into the payment for a Symphony cruise, which was cancelled due to COVID protocols.  At that time, there were basically 3 fundamental rules for cashing out FCCs

1.  You had to wait until the COVID protocols were announced for your sailing date

2.  You had to declare that you were cancelling due to COVID protocol.  Just tell them that your party is unvaxxed…happens to be true for us.

3.  (This is the hard one) you had to make final payment if that date rolls around before #1 happens.

There was also a rule #4 which we were fortunate enough to circumvent.  That rule stated that only Cruise With Confidence FCCs would be considered for cash.  Since these 4 FCCs were really about 6 other FCCs that had been “rolled up” into these 4, the non-CWC FCCs might have been obscured.  I will never really know what happened there, but I am grateful that they were included in the final cash refund.

It so happened that #3 did apply to me, so I had to “throw good money after bad” as you described, but due to the FCCs that had been applied, the final balance was fairly small.  Eventually I got almost everything back (the cruise itself had been an earlier L&S and there was a penalty that applied). I am very relieved to be DONE with FCCs and I will not accept any more in the future.

I have read plenty of posts since that time that declared that they are no longer giving cash refunds for FCCs.  All I can do is relate what happened to me.  I will also add that my [bulldog] TA handled all of this for me, for which I am eternally grateful.

Best of luck.  I hope you get all of your money back !