Viking Homelands 2022 Season

NeilP57

32 minutes ago, duquephart said:

This is not fair to those in the higher category staterooms who paid extra, in part, for the perk of earlier booking. Imagine a person in the owner's suite being "beat out" of a popular excursion because his window did not open until everyone elses.

Regardless of the external circumstances that created the issue of delayed access to Shore Excursion bookings, Viking has the responsibility to its paying customers to uphold its booking priorities based on cabin selection due to its tiered pricing.

Viking could can solve the problem by creating extra capacity on the tours (extra coach, extra guides, etc.) - to do otherwise would result in false or misleading advertising of cabin level purchase benefits.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Regardless of the external circumstances that created the issue of delayed access to Shore Excursion bookings, Viking has the responsibility to its paying customers to uphold its booking priorities based on cabin selection due to its tiered pricing.

Viking could can solve the problem by creating extra capacity on the tours (extra coach, extra guides, etc.) - to do otherwise would result in false or misleading advertising of cabin level purchase benefits.

If capacity was available, I have no doubt Viking would happily add additional seats.

However, capacity is the root cause of the issue. Due to COVID many shore-ex vendors are no longer in business and those that are, struggle to find sufficient guides and drivers.

To put it into perspective. For our next cruise, I have contacted 3 vendors, I have used before, and 2 of the 3 have shut down the business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are just thankful that we get to be in a gorgeous suite in an amazing part of the world.  We understand things are beyond their control which created the need to adjust the itinerary, which in turn created chaos with excursions.

I/We refuse to let this tarnish the experience.   If it is something we cannot imagine missing out on we will hire a private tour.  Although, I was looking forward to an Artic Detox on sea day and that we cannot hire out lol 

Life is good!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TeamBAlways said:

We are just thankful that we get to be in a gorgeous suite in an amazing part of the world.  We understand things are beyond their control which created the need to adjust the itinerary, which in turn created chaos with excursions.

I/We refuse to let this tarnish the experience.   If it is something we cannot imagine missing out on we will hire a private tour.  Although, I was looking forward to an Artic Detox on sea day and that we cannot hire out lol 

Life is good!

Indeed. And ----- it would be even better if Viking would play straight with us. I firmly believe this could have been handled more efficiently.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:16 PM, Mrs Miggins said:

On another source it is reported that the 2022 cruisers are getting a 15% reduction plus $250 pp OBC.  It also said that only the OBC is being offered to those booked for 2023.

Correct. We are booked for May 2023 (postponed from May 2022) and have been offered AUD$250.00 per head OBC.

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

Has anyone seen this $250 post to their account and/or credited against excursion bookings?

It is an on board credit and does not show on MVJ.  If you call and ask for an updated invoice - or request the invoice from MVJ - you will see the credit.

If you don't use the OBC for excursions, you can apply it to gratuities if you have not paid those in advance.

Just now, CDNPolar said:

It is an on board credit and does not show on MVJ.  If you call and ask for an updated invoice - or request the invoice from MVJ - you will see the credit.

If you don't use the OBC for excursions, you can apply it to gratuities if you have not paid those in advance.

Oh, and you can only request an updated invoice yourself on MVJ if you did not book through a TA.  If you booked through a TA, that option is not available on MVJ.

On 4/12/2022 at 4:09 PM, dottythecat said:

We are on Homelands May 19 sailing ending in Stockholm. We are staying 2 extra nights at the Courtyard Stockholm, not Viking's post-extension. Any thoughts if we were to test positive on the 24 hour Covid test? Is there a particular location at which we would have to isolate? Stay where we are? I am Googling around making sure we have a Plan B.

My understanding from knowing others that this has happened to, is that if you test positive while still on the Viking ship, Viking will assist you with the arrangements for isolating off the ship.

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Oh, and you can only request an updated invoice yourself on MVJ if you did not book through a TA.  If you booked through a TA, that option is not available on MVJ.

I booked through a travel agent and requested and received an updated invoice from Viking Guest Services at 

Vikingguestservices@vikingcruises.com
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, dwlmg said:

Along with the port changes comes a $250 per person onboard cruise credit and a voucher for 10% of cruise fare paid to be emailed after we return home..

Booked in Australia and have have been granted AUD$350.00 per person OBC. No mention of future discounts.

7 hours ago, aussieal said:

Booked in Australia and have have been granted AUD$350.00 per person OBC. No mention of future discounts.

From what I gather the OBC won't show up until you are aboard or just before and the 10% only once current cruise is completed.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, CDNPolar said:

Yes STP is a huge draw.  One of the major reasons that we booked this, however, world events are what they are and no one, especially Viking is responsible for what is happening.  We have always wanted to see Russia, but because of the humanitarian crisis that Russia has created with the Ukrainian people, I don't think that I will ever now or in the future step foot on Russian soil.

I don't think that we should expect onboard credit from Viking because of a war breaking out.  Viking is not responsible.

Now, might Viking offer something in good will?  Perhaps, but I don't think that anyone should expect that.  This is outside of Viking's control.

We are headed on the British Isles Scandinavia cruise in 2024; my wife and I were given a $500 onboard credit  (if I remember correctly) for each of us.

Our itinerary now includes extra days in Norway; the stop in Estonia was removed as well.

Edited by longterm

On 4/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, longterm said:

We are headed on the British Isles Scandinavia cruise in 2024; my wife and I were given a $500 onboard credit  (if I remember correctly) for each of us.

Our itinerary now includes extra days in Norway; the stop in Estonia was removed as well.

Actually, my wife corrected me--we got $250 OBCs each.

1 hour ago, Weddlefour said:

Is anyone concerned that this cruise will be cancelled if Sweden and Finland join NATO this spring vis a vis Russian aggression?

It's added to the list as are the recent riots in Sweden. But we more or less abandon certainty some time ago. We plan to go, we hope to go, but we recognize it may not happen or it may morph (again) into a different cruise entirely. Viking has demonstrated their ability to pivot so, as of now, are we.

• Like 4

Ok.  It is clear to me what Viking are doing now with the Ship Board Credit and the FCC voucher.

Now that we have purchased / booked our excursions for our Homelands cruise, the invoices that are returned to us, show the use of credits that we had that can be used "Pre-Sailing" and the SBC that Viking issued for the change of itinerary, are still on account and can only be used on board the ship.

Viking do this because this SBC given for the change is only a credit if you board the ship.  You cannot spend it in advance, cancel, and then walk away with the value in a voucher.  Likewise, the 10% FCC is only awarded to you once you have sailed and completed the cruise.  These are "gifts" that are given if you continue with your booking, but you would lose them if you change or cancel. 

13 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Ok.  It is clear to me what Viking are doing now with the Ship Board Credit and the FCC voucher.

Now that we have purchased / booked our excursions for our Homelands cruise, the invoices that are returned to us, show the use of credits that we had that can be used "Pre-Sailing" and the SBC that Viking issued for the change of itinerary, are still on account and can only be used on board the ship.

Viking do this because this SBC given for the change is only a credit if you board the ship.  You cannot spend it in advance, cancel, and then walk away with the value in a voucher.  Likewise, the 10% FCC is only awarded to you once you have sailed and completed the cruise.  These are "gifts" that are given if you continue with your booking, but you would lose them if you change or cancel. 

We are going to use our ship credit on our drink package when we get on board.
We booked our shore excursion this morning 5am Aussie time 🙈 

So our credit will be used as soon as we board ! 
We now need Viking to drop daily testing! Such a big risk 😡

Edited by Rabbit27

2 hours ago, Rabbit27 said:

We are going to use our ship credit on our drink package when we get on board.
We booked our shore excursion this morning 5am Aussie time 🙈 

So our credit will be used as soon as we board ! 
We now need Viking to drop daily testing! Such a big risk 😡

What is your sailing date? Trying to estimate when/if excursions will/may open for our departure. Thanks!

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I've been told that I already used it buying excursions.

2 hours ago, janetcbl said:

What is your sailing date? Trying to estimate when/if excursions will/may open for our departure. Thanks!

Your Viking invoice will tell you when excursions will open for you.  It is based on Cabin class.  This is on page 6 of our invoice, but that will be different based on the length of your invoice.image.png.587f22abd53b829365917992623820d1.png

Just now, CDNPolar said:

Your Viking invoice will tell you when excursions will open for you.  It is based on Cabin class.  This is on page 6 of our invoice, but that will be different based on the length of your invoice.image.png.587f22abd53b829365917992623820d1.png

That is the idea. However, in reality it isn’t what is happening. Our excursions were to open for us on March 30th;  they still aren’t listed.  And no guarantee that when they do open it will be by cabin category.  Glad yours worked out!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Our date 28th June 2022 Leaving Bergen!

plus our $350 AUD is now showing on our invoice  with our shore excursion dates and time.

Edited by Rabbit27