American Queen questions

Babcia7

We are on the American Queen March 21- 28 cruise from New Orleans to Memphis.  When should we expect to get our travel documents?  Will the River Bar and Grill be open?  On the day we disembark in Memphis, the cruise provided shuttle to the airport departs at 8 a.m.  Since our flight isn't until 12:45, we're opting to line up our own transfer to the airport.  I'm sure we have to be out of our cabins early in the morning, but can we remain on the ship for a leisurely breakfast? What time do we have to be off the boat?

10 hours ago, Babcia7 said:

On the day we disembark in Memphis, the cruise provided shuttle to the airport departs at 8 a.m.  Since our flight isn't until 12:45, we're opting to line up our own transfer to the airport.  I'm sure we have to be out of our cabins early in the morning, but can we remain on the ship for a leisurely breakfast? What time do we have to be off the boat?

Hope somebody can answer these questions, because we've been wondering about this as well.  Our flight isn't until 1:00PM, and the airport transfer PDF seems to indicate that the transfer begins at 7:30AM, with arrival at the Memphis airport at 8:00AM.

The "Elvis" excursions don't arrive at the airport until about 1:00PM, too late for us.  There's a bus to the airport ($1) but would have to leave the ship by 8:30AM to catch it.  I guess taxi is the only option; from what I can find, that would cost $30 w/o tip. 

On 2/9/2022 at 3:13 PM, DaveinCharlotte said:

Hope somebody can answer these questions, because we've been wondering about this as well.  Our flight isn't until 1:00PM, and the airport transfer PDF seems to indicate that the transfer begins at 7:30AM, with arrival at the Memphis airport at 8:00AM.

The "Elvis" excursions don't arrive at the airport until about 1:00PM, too late for us.  There's a bus to the airport ($1) but would have to leave the ship by 8:30AM to catch it.  I guess taxi is the only option; from what I can find, that would cost $30 w/o tip. 

Hi DaveinCharlotte,  Can you tell me more about the $1 bus to the airport in Memphis, please?  Where do you catch it and what time does it leave from it's location?  Is it only once a day?  Thanks very much, Vicki

16 hours ago, amoba said:

Hi DaveinCharlotte,  Can you tell me more about the $1 bus to the airport in Memphis, please?  Where do you catch it and what time does it leave from it's location?  Is it only once a day?

OK, here's what I've found out so far.  MATA's Bus #28 (www.matatransit.com) leaves from the Hudson Transit Center every two  hours at 7:15AM, 9:15AM, 11:15AM, etc.  It is a 30-minute ride to the airport, and cost $1 per-person, cash to driver.

From Beale Landing (I'm assuming that will be the ship's location, but could well be somewhere else), it's a two-block walk east to the corner of Beale St. and N. Main Street.  There is a covered trolley stop there where every 12 minutes a northbound trolley will take you 1.4 miles north to the end of the trolley line at the Hudson Transit Center.  This trip is 13 minutes and also costs $1 cash.

When I used Google Maps to schedule the trip, it said: Leave Beale Landing at 8:35AM, walk to trolley, board trolley 8:43AM, arrive Hudson Transit Center 8:56AM, board Bus #28 at 9:15AM, arrive Memphis airport 9:45AM.  This is tempting, as our flight isn't until 1:00PM, and we only have carry-on luggage.  We could stay on the ship one extra hour, shave almost 3 hours off our long airport wait, and save $54 in the bargain. 

Hi!   We're leaving next friday for the 2/20 cruise NOLA to Memphis. We just got our documents yesterday, because our travel agent said they wait for everyone to complete online check-in before sending out documents. The paperwork says we'll disembark in Memphis at 9:00am. 

One thing we're wondering is what the included excursion will be in Nottoway since the Plantation is still closed?

Thank you very much, DaveinCharlotte, for the detailed info on the trolley to the bus to the airport in Memphis.  That is very tempting for those with only carry-on bags.  Also, to pookeysmom, that's interesting about final documents being sent only after everyone has completed online check-in?  Do you know how far in advance we can check-in on-line or how late it can be done?  Thanks, Vicki

7 minutes ago, amoba said:

Thank you very much, DaveinCharlotte, for the detailed info on the trolley to the bus to the airport in Memphis.  That is very tempting for those with only carry-on bags.  Also, to pookeysmom, that's interesting about final documents being sent only after everyone has completed online check-in?  Do you know how far in advance we can check-in on-line or how late it can be done?  Thanks, Vicki

I'm not exactly sure how soon you can check-in, but I'm thinking as long as you have the confirmation # you could go to the website & complete the passenger information form & I would do it as soon as possible for that reason. I'm guessing the sooner everyone does it, the sooner they can send the docs 🙂

OK, thanks, pookeysmom, I've now completed the passenger information form so will see what happens.  Is this the same as checking-in?  Is anyone on a roll-call for a winter or spring 2022 Mississippi cruise with AQ?  I'm very much looking forward to seeing a new (to me) part of the US on this trip.  Thanks for all the info, Vicki

My husband and I are on the same trip with you. Hopefully, our tickets will come tomorrow from the travel agent.

There is one question that you can answer here for myself and the English women with the Covid testing questions. Is Covid testing offered by the American Queen Co. during the check in at the hotel the afternoon before or is it now our responsibility to find a testing location and be tested?

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, Calliope said:

My husband and I are on the same trip with you. Hopefully, our tickets will come tomorrow from the travel agent.

There is one question that you can answer here for myself and the English women with the Covid testing questions. Is Covid testing offered by the American Queen Co. during the check in at the hotel the afternoon before or is it now our responsibility to find a testing location and be tested?

Thanks.

We did Memphis to New Orleans in October 2021. American Queen Voyages provided testing at the hotel in the afternoon before embarkation. You check in for the cruise then test. It is the swab in the lower part of your nose test not the brain swab. We had the results back in the early evening.

EDIT: I just read some other posts. It seems things have changed (as they always do). Please check the current requirements on their website. It looks as though you now need to do your own test 48 hours before embarkation. Sorry.

Edited by adstz

11 hours ago, adstz said:

EDIT: I just read some other posts. It seems things have changed (as they always do). Please check the current requirements on their website. It looks as though you now need to do your own test 48 hours before embarkation. Sorry.

They have indeed changed. Proof of a negative PCR test less than 48 hours old is required to be obtained by the departing passenger on their own before arrival at check in.  Also it is a PCR test and not an antigen test that is required. Information sent with the tickets clearly states those with an antigen test will be denied boarding.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the 4/12/22 Countess cruise from NO to Memphis with a group of retired nurses.  I just received news from my travel agent that a PCR will be offered free of charge at the Hotel in NO prior to the cruise.  Good news as we are flying 4/10/22 and spending and extra day in NO.

Hi,  Does anyone know if there is an airport shuttle from New Orleans airport that goes to town, near where the AQ hotel is?  I'm not sure if the info I found on the internet is current.  Also, if there is a shuttle, how late does it run and does it run every day?  Thanks so much, Vicki

I’ve always taken an Uber or a taxi (set rates for going downtown) to the Hilton.

Many years ago I took a shuttle and it seemed to take forever stopping at a bunch of hotels along the way.

1 hour ago, amoba said:

Hi,  Does anyone know if there is an airport shuttle from New Orleans airport that goes to town, near where the AQ hotel is?  I'm not sure if the info I found on the internet is current.  Also, if there is a shuttle, how late does it run and does it run every day?  Thanks so much, Vicki

When I was looking for transportation I went directly to the Louis Armstrong Airport website and searched under Ground Transportation. Here is link:  https://flymsy.com/ground-transportation/           

I had the same experience as AQJazz with taking a shuttle.  Now I prefer taking a cab. I believe the shuttle was $24 per person and a cab was a set fare of $36 for 2 people. Three people and over were $15 each.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 6:24 AM, DaveinCharlotte said:

OK, here's what I've found out so far.  MATA's Bus #28 (www.matatransit.com) leaves from the Hudson Transit Center every two  hours at 7:15AM, 9:15AM, 11:15AM, etc.  It is a 30-minute ride to the airport, and cost $1 per-person, cash to driver.

From Beale Landing (I'm assuming that will be the ship's location, but could well be somewhere else), it's a two-block walk east to the corner of Beale St. and N. Main Street.  There is a covered trolley stop there where every 12 minutes a northbound trolley will take you 1.4 miles north to the end of the trolley line at the Hudson Transit Center.  This trip is 13 minutes and also costs $1 cash.

When I used Google Maps to schedule the trip, it said: Leave Beale Landing at 8:35AM, walk to trolley, board trolley 8:43AM, arrive Hudson Transit Center 8:56AM, board Bus #28 at 9:15AM, arrive Memphis airport 9:45AM.  This is tempting, as our flight isn't until 1:00PM, and we only have carry-on luggage.  We could stay on the ship one extra hour, shave almost 3 hours off our long airport wait, and save $54 in the bargain. 

Hi DaveinCharlotte,  I just wanted to let you know that your information on public transportation to Memphis airport worked perfectly.  Instead of from Beale Landing, I went from 3rd and Union (where my hotel and also the Peabody Hotel is located) on bus 39 to Hudson Transit Center.  It was simple, cheap, and only 45 minutes altogether.  No one at the hotel where I stayed knew anything about local buses going to the airport so I'm very glad for this information from you and MATA.  Thanks again, Vicki

Glad to hear this worked out OK, amoba.  Sometimes the info sounds great on the web, but then in reality, you find out it's not quite what was advertised.  Ironically, won't be taking my own advice.  We've decided to rent a car at the airport for an early departure instead of taking a mid-day flight home -- so will be opting for the ship's 7:30 AM airport transfer after all, not the bus.