Required 2nd test at pier?

I cruise on Sunday from Port Everglades. I just received an email to complete my mandatory health questionnaires.  It states we will be tested at the pier.  

“All guests must present original proof of COVID-19 vaccination and a
negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of embark at
cruise check-in. We will also perform an additional COVID-19 test at the pier
prior to cruise embarkation, so please plan to arrive at your scheduled time to
speed your testing and check-in process.”

Is this statement NEW?  Are they testing all passengers at the pier?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 0106 said:

We are on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise.  

I am wondering if this is a new HAL policy.  If so, why do I need to have a proctored test two days prior to boarding.

Your at pier test may be a Panama requirement....seems I heard about that. Just like Hawaii is requiring a test at the pier.

• Like 1

This year, previous cruises on Zuiderdam from Port Everglades through the Panama Canal did not require a test at the port.  It was a test onboard (see Zuiderdam quarantine thread).

I am trying to find out if this is a new HAL policy or just part of a form letter that arrived with the Health Questionnaire. 

46 minutes ago, 0106 said:

…why do I need to have a proctored test two days prior to boarding.

It may be because it weeds out some positive passengers in advance,

1)sparing the passenger the hassle of finding out they’re positive upon boarding which allows isolation in one’s own home in most cases (and in addition to moving their cruise-trip to a future date, hopefully flights and hotels, etc., before the trip even took place), and

2)sparing HAL from having to pay for isolation expenses and all the logistics that come with a last-second change.

Best Wishes!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 0106 said:

This year, previous cruises on Zuiderdam from Port Everglades through the Panama Canal did not require a test at the port.  It was a test onboard (see Zuiderdam quarantine thread).

I am trying to find out if this is a new HAL policy or just part of a form letter that arrived with the Health Questionnaire. 

As I recall the second test on the Zuiderdam was a surprise, somewhat last minute, added by Panama. The Hawaii situation was known in advance. 

1 minute ago, ottahand7 said:

I just went through the pdf attachment from HA about the requirement to complete the Health Questionnaire and there was no mention about testing when we arrive for boarding so I think it is probably for Panama bound passengers. 

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I guess I would rather be denied boarding instead of quarantining for 10 days on the ship. 

If I test positive at the port, I won't be able to fly home.  I wonder if HAL will put me up or if I'll have to find my own quarantine hotel.?

On 2/10/2022 at 5:01 AM, 0106 said:

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I guess I would rather be denied boarding instead of quarantining for 10 days on the ship. 

If I test positive at the port, I won't be able to fly home.  I wonder if HAL will put me up or if I'll have to find my own quarantine hotel.?

I agree.  I would rather know at the port then get on board and have to miss out being in quarantine.  I believe I have read through other threads elsewhere that the quarantine hotel is arranged through HAL but then you have to work with your insurance on how to pay.  If I test positive at pier, I'll be heading straight to Tampa to family home.  This is all kind of nuts and I know we have to put up with it, but if we test negative 2 days before then test positive at pier, you have to wonder a little bit about how these tests work.  

I just got a response from someone currently on ED on Panama Canal trip and this is what THEY did for their voyage:

Me:  "Tony, I'm on the next cruise to PC on Eurodam. There seems to be a lot of talk about testing on Eurodam to be able to go on excursions or to go into port in Panama. I know that these policies can change in a moment, but can you comment on your cruise and what has happened with on board testing? Thanks."

Tony:  "We were tested to go through the Panama Canal. We were called in groups then we isolated for half an hour. It was a few days before entering the canal. They called us in by blocks of rooms.

We needed our original vaccine cards in Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Cartagena. Some places didn’t check while others recorded the cards.
That was it. Masking was gently enforced on board the ship. Such as when getting a muffin after a finishing a superb omelette. Cost Arica and Colombia were very firm about mask wearing. Hualtuco and Guatemala required masks but were less absolute.
HAL provided comfortable KN95 masks that were replaced during the voyage.

Spoke to my PCC last night.  There will be testing at the pier.  Just passed our 2 day prior Covid test.   Worried about the boarding process with the first time requiring testing.  Hopefully will pass again on Sunday and set sail. Will finally be able to relax after I am on the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I agree.  I would rather know at the port then get on board and have to miss out being in quarantine.  I believe I have read through other threads elsewhere that the quarantine hotel is arranged through HAL but then you have to work with your insurance on how to pay.  If I test positive at pier, I'll be heading straight to Tampa to family home.  This is all kind of nuts and I know we have to put up with it, but if we test negative 2 days before then test positive at pier, you have to wonder a little bit about how these tests work.  

Considering how infectious Omicron is very easy to go from undetectable to detectable levels in a couple of days.

That said the antigen tests will miss as much as 50% of non-symptomatic infections.

Just finished an Hawaii cruised.  Tested before, tested at pier, tested on board.  Basically 3 tests in five days.  Cases were found at each of the 3 stages.  Though fewer during the test on board at day 3, than tested positive at pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JEH said:

Had our tests today for Sunday's embarkation. I remarked to the Tech about having to take the same test again on Sunday , she stated that's insane. It should be very interesting Sunday . 

Don't know why she would say that is insane because from reports from the Hawaii cruises additional cases were caught at the pier  and some cases were caught during a third test on board.

• Like 2

Just a few "words of wisdom" from one who has continued to travel throughout the Pandemic and resumed cruising last July.  We can all have a lot of fun here on CC speculating about this test and that test and this restriction and that restriction.  And it is no wonder that folks following all these threads just toss up their hands and stay home!

As a frequent traveler (now living in Mexico for the winter and soon to take a cruise to Europe) I would suggest just "rolling with the waves" and not becoming overly concerned about changing rules.  Just check on the latest rules a couple of weeks before your cruise/trip and comply!  If they want to test you at the embarkation port just smile and open your nostrils.   If they do not want to test you at the port just smile, show them whatever documentation is required, and board your ship.  If they require masking at some indoor places just put on a mask and remove it when permitted (which usually means once seated).  If you can only remove your mask when eating or drinking, and you do not like masks, just make sure to have a drink or food most of the time :).  

I do not have any suggestions for those embraced by anxiety due to COVID.  They will either get over it...or they will not!  Nothing I can say will change how those folks feel.  But for those of us who are "over it" and can deal with the changing rules, life is very good.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 0106 said:

Spoke to my PCC last night.  There will be testing at the pier.  Just passed our 2 day prior Covid test.   Worried about the boarding process with the first time requiring testing.  Hopefully will pass again on Sunday and set sail. Will finally be able to relax after I am on the ship.

Good luck to you.  We sail Wednesday.