Suite Boarding Time

JFasbender

Hey all, we originally booked a balcony relatively last minute (last week) and we sail this weekend.  When we booked I selected the earliest check-in time which was 12:30.  Since then, we have upgraded to a suite.  Do we still need to arrive at 12:30 even though suites get priority boarding and will all likely be boarded by that time?  In the past when we have had either a suite or FTTF we would arrive early and usually be the first on the ship.  TIA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFasbender said:

Hey all, we originally booked a balcony relatively last minute (last week) and we sail this weekend.  When we booked I selected the earliest check-in time which was 12:30.  Since then, we have upgraded to a suite.  Do we still need to arrive at 12:30 even though suites get priority boarding and will all likely be boarded by that time?  In the past when we have had either a suite or FTTF we would arrive early and usually be the first on the ship.  TIA!

Good question!  Same thing happened to us, upgraded to a suite on Sunshine.  At embarkation in Charleston for Sunshine there wasn't any delineation between suites and everyone else.  Everyone was herded out to a shuttle to the terminal or you could hoof it, which is what we did.

When we cruised Sept 2021 on Magic, everyone waited then suites were allowed onboard first.

So I think it can vary, but I would get to the port as early as 10:00am since you have a suite.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

So I think it can vary, but I would get to the port as early as 10:00am since you have a suite.

Have a great cruise!

I agree - we have been on 5 cruises since cruising resumed and it was slightly different at each port.  But in our experience, guests in suites always boarded first regardless of check-in time.  You just show them on your boarding pass that you are in a suite.

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JFasbender said:

It doesn't matter what cabin you are in when it comes to check in time.  You selected 12:30 so that's when you should check in.  Some ports won't let you enter the terminal until your check in time.  Once checked in, then your cabin selection allows you to board the ship before others.

17 hours ago, JFasbender said:

They are not currently doing "Priority Boarding" as in the past. (EDIT: "Due to Covid") Suite passengers receive the ability to select their boarding appointment two days earlier than everyone else, the same with Platinum and Diamond level cruisers. In that way you can chose the earliest time if you wish. Since you have already chosen your time that's when you board but being that it's a reservation the line does move pretty quickly since only those with that reservation time are allowed in. You can go back in and see if there's an earlier time left and change if you'd like but you can do that no matter where you're staying on the ship. OH and for the smart a-es on here that responded snark to you, I understand you wanting to get on quickly. I've been on a dozen cruises and I'm still excited to board and get my vacation truly started. There's nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with checking on the status of a perk within a certain stateroom category. 

Edited by Jasonsterling
  • Like 1

We upgraded to a suite for our upcoming Legend sailing but it was before check in was available. We were able to check-in and selected noon, which was the earliest available. That is when we will show up at the port. OP I would check your planner and see if it still reflects you check in time of 12:30 and if so that is when you show up. (I understand that there is a separate line for those with priority boarding but one can no longer just show up whenever they want.)

When we had our suite on Sunshine Jan 22 we were hustled through until we reached "the chairs" where there was a separate area for suite passengers and a bigger area for everyone else.  Then it was a free for all.

On Magic Sept 21 we were checked through at the terminal till we reached "the chairs" which had a separate area for suites and a larger area for everyone else.  Passengers in suites were allowed on first, didn't matter if they were a first time cruiser or not.

When you arrive at the terminal walk up with your boarding pass in hand, show it to the gatekeeper and indicate that you are in a suite and they will direct you.  I did have one gatekeeper not see we were in a suite and initially directed us to the incorrect line.  I asked if that was for suites and they immediately corrected their directions.

I would be there early if you want to be onboard early.  Have a great cruise!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 2

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Check-in and boarding are two different things.  There is currently no priority check-in line for anyone...not Suites, not Platinums, not Diamonds.  Those people get to select their check-in time two days before everyone else but if you show up early you risk being turned away and told to come back later.  Even if Suites board first you can't board if you haven't checked in yet because it's before your check-in time.

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Check-in and boarding are two different things.  There is currently no priority check-in line for anyone...not Suites, not Platinums, not Diamonds.  Those people get to select their check-in time two days before everyone else but if you show up early you risk being turned away and told to come back later.  Even if Suites board first you can't board if you haven't checked in yet because it's before your check-in time.

We're in a suite and our boarding pass says 'Priority'. But, I'm not expecting anything 'Priority' until after check-in, like you say. Fine with me.

They did give us a 10:00 check-in. I didn't know there was a check-in that early.

2 hours ago, auburn77 said:

We're in a suite and our boarding pass says 'Priority'. But, I'm not expecting anything 'Priority' until after check-in, like you say. Fine with me.

They did give us a 10:00 check-in. I didn't know there was a check-in that early.

Me too I chose 10 for check in and today when I was looking around I saw we now had 930 available so I switched.  My boarding pass also says Priority.