Travel insurance and FCC

Langevin7

I am hoping someone can help me. My husband and I were scheduled to cruise in March of 2020. We went ahead and canceled the cruise because things were starting to get crazy with Covid. We had travel insurance through Royal. We were issued a FCC. We scheduled another cruise for 2021 which was canceled by Royal. Again we were issued a FCC. At this point we have no interest in trying to book something and complete the cruise by the end of this year. Any hope of getting a refund at this point? Since we had travel insurance I feel like it is holding us back from getting a refund. Anyone else deal with this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Having travel insurance has nothing to do with the reason you received Fccs.  There are many of us with FCCs to use by end of dec 22.    

Unfortunately I do not know of a way to get a cash refund at this time.    

There have been some rare instances where people were able to get cash refunds.  Not sure what they Royal to get it.

If you are over 70 or 75 yrs old you can transfer the FCC to someone else.  Anyone in your family that may want to cruise?  

19 minutes ago, Langevin7 said:

I am hoping someone can help me. My husband and I were scheduled to cruise in March of 2020. We went ahead and canceled the cruise because things were starting to get crazy with Covid. We had travel insurance through Royal. We were issued a FCC. We scheduled another cruise for 2021 which was canceled by Royal. Again we were issued a FCC. At this point we have no interest in trying to book something and complete the cruise by the end of this year. Any hope of getting a refund at this point? Since we had travel insurance I feel like it is holding us back from getting a refund. Anyone else deal with this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, you no longer need to book/use your FCC by the end of the year.

5 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Yes. Please explain further. 

RCCL has now removed the "book/redeem by" deadline.  FCC's can now be redeemed anytime up until the expiration date listed on the certificate.

They also indicated if you have multiple certificates, you can combine them to use on one cruise.

2 hours ago, KALCJ1 said:

This isn’t entirely true. They ended the book by April date but most of the certificates still have to be used by the end of 2022 or one year from when your original cruise was canceled. I would confirm your certificate with RCCL just to make sure

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KALCJ1 said:

RCCL has now removed the "book/redeem by" deadline.  FCC's can now be redeemed anytime up until the expiration date listed on the certificate.

They also indicated if you have multiple certificates, you can combine them to use on one cruise.

6 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

This isn’t entirely true. They ended the book by April date but most of the certificates still have to be used by the end of 2022 or one year from when your original cruise was canceled. I would confirm your certificate with RCCL just to make sure

What CruisingHogFan said. The FCC"s have a sail by, and now expiration date of Dec. 31, 2022. As I understand it. The only way to extend that date, would be to have another cruise booked and the FCC applied, then cancel it, so the new FCC would have the new one-year expiration date. 

Perhaps I am missing something, because I don't understand how that is advantageous. 

And after Cruise with Confidence expires, I believe the $100 p/p penalties apply? 

I don't know. So many date and rule changes the past two years. 

3 hours ago, KALCJ1 said:

3 hours ago, Langevin7 said:

Thank you! I didn’t realize that I could hold my FCC for longer. Do you know what the new date is?

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

Yes. Please explain further. 

3 hours ago, KALCJ1 said:

Royal removed the book by date of April 30, 2022.  The sail by date of Dec 31, 2022 still applies to most certificates. The exception being is if you had n FCC issued For a sailing after Jan 1, 2022 the the expiry date is 12 months from the date if the cancelled sailing.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 6:12 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Having travel insurance has nothing to do with the reason you received Fccs.  There are many of us with FCCs to use by end of dec 22.    

Unfortunately I do not know of a way to get a cash refund at this time.    

There have been some rare instances where people were able to get cash refunds.  Not sure what they Royal to get it.

If you are over 70 or 75 yrs old you can transfer the FCC to someone else.  Anyone in your family that may want to cruise?  

I am not able to find anything regarding the last sentence....."If you are over 70 or 75 years old you can transfer the FCC to someone else" -- is this correct?  I was only able to find that you can give it to a person who was on the original booking, but was not able to find anything about transferring FCC to someone else.  

3 hours ago, Californian said:

I am not able to find anything regarding the last sentence....."If you are over 70 or 75 years old you can transfer the FCC to someone else" -- is this correct?  I was only able to find that you can give it to a person who was on the original booking, but was not able to find anything about transferring FCC to someone else.  

@Ourusualbeach   Hi Ken, Was I correct in saying that someone 70 or 75 years old is able to transfer their FCC to someone else?      See above question.

4 hours ago, Californian said:

Not sure it is actually written anywhere but it is allowed

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure it is actually written anywhere but it is allowed

Ok.  Thanks very much for your response.  I don't know if we will cruise anytime soon.  I think we would rather get a refund if we can; but knowing that we have the option to transfer our FCC to someone else because of our age will be helpful.  Thanks again!