Anyone use Zoom with a medallion net?

tampabrat22

Unfortunately this will be my first “working cruise” and I will need to use Zoom for a 2-3 hour meeting one day. Has anyone had success with this? I’ll be on the Sky in the Caribbean.

Also does anyone know if you are able to access a VPN network via their internet? To access my work emails I have to log in via VPN and I’m hoping that is possible. 

I really wish I could get away from work completely but things have come up that I have to be available for.😕

Edited by tampabrat22

I did a “working” cruise on Majestic last month. No issue with WebEx (similar to Zoom). Voice was very clear on both ends. No issue with VPN connection. Internet speed was relatively fast, I didn’t notice any difference between working from home or working at sea. If your VPN requires 2-factor authentication then you may need to have internet connection for 2 devices for both your laptop and your phone (assuming you use authentication app linked to your phone).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dhanakorn said:

I did a “working” cruise on Majestic last month. No issue with WebEx (similar to Zoom). Voice was very clear on both ends. No issue with VPN connection. Internet speed was relatively fast, I didn’t notice any difference between working from home or working at sea. If your VPN requires 2-factor authentication then you may need to have internet connection for 2 devices for both your laptop and your phone (assuming you use authentication app linked to your phone).

Thank you! I am very worried I wont be able to gain access via VPN. I do have the 2 factor authentication on my phone, so I will make sure I purchase the internet package for multiple devices.

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

There are a few other threads the indicate it worked without any problems. I'm counting on it. 

Fingers crossed for both of us. I'm most worried about accessing it via VPN. Even if I can just get on the call without video, that will work.

11 hours ago, tampabrat22 said:

Unfortunately this will be my first “working cruise” and I will need to use Zoom for a 2-3 hour meeting one day. Has anyone had success with this? I’ll be on the Sky in the Caribbean.

Also does anyone know if you are able to access a VPN network via their internet? To access my work emails I have to log in via VPN and I’m hoping that is possible. 

I really wish I could get away from work completely but things have come up that I have to be available for.😕

As far as VPN goes, I would just double check with your IT folks that there is not an issue with location.  I know my employer does not allow out of country VPN access unless it is pre-arranged as an exception individually.

• Thanks 1

As a backup, IF you are in a US port, you can use your cellphone as a hotspot and connect while in the port.  (I have often delayed some of my work until I was in a port so that I was using my phone rather than the ship's internet, though this was still in the days when Elite had a limited number of 'free' minutes which I used to download email from the server).

• Thanks 1

I was on a TA and we had no internet for the majority of the  cruise.  Everyone received a 100 credit. Even as we approached FLL, it was very challenging to complete documents and check ins for flights. I have two TAs coming up and hoping to be able to do some work from both of them.

• Like 1

I just finished two weeks on the Caribbean Princess and working remotely.

I don't use Zoom, but used Teams for a bunch of meetings. It was ok, but getting about 200ms ping time, so there is a tad delay when speaking to people on the conference call. I did not turn on my video as some of the videos coming in were getting a bit pixelated.

It was 30M down and 25M up on a good day and 2M down and 1M up on a bad day. Overall, better than Royal Caribbean, but still nothing compared to land (I have gigabit internet at home)

If you require a lot of video calling, I would not 100% recommend it, but it is doable.

The ship does use a WAN accelerator and seem to be caching some data incorrectly. So if you have a laptop that requires SSL to work, you might have some website issue, especially with some file sharing site.

No issue with VPN.

Edited by GateGuardian
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE...just wanted to follow up. The wifi worked great on the ship, my VPN, not so much. Second day of the cruise I started having issues so I went to the internet cafe and the worker helped me get on, not sure what he did but somehow I was able to access our work servers. The next day my VPN was blocked again, I tried everything and then went back for more help and this time he couldn't get me back in, it was blocked. So if you need to access VPN definitely contact your employers IT dept. to make sure this is something they allow or if they can make an exception for you. My job does not allow any international access to their servers which we were not aware of.

Zoom worked great on the Enchanted last cruise and I'm counting on using it again this Wed provided the satellite signal is strong enough. 

We had a 2 hour meeting and I didn't lose connection one time.