Taking cash to Norway?

SarahHben

Just wondering if it’s necessary to take any Krone currency when we cruise to Norway? I’ve read that you can pay by card for most things, but then as I was laying awake for most of last night I started thinking about things like tipping excursion coach drivers etc.

What would you recommend for a 7 day Norwegian cruise, 4 port days with 2 booked excursions so far.

Thanks

We took about £50 worth for the reasons you mentioned and emergency - but paid by card for most things - only used about £20 worth in the end - for some coffees and food from markets etc

Can get it on the ship if you need to - not a great rate but it’s available.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

We took about £50 worth for the reasons you mentioned and emergency - but paid by card for most things - only used about £20 worth in the end - for some coffees and food from markets etc

Can get it on the ship if you need to - not a great rate but it’s available.

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We paid by card, or Euro's. Many shops near the port had signs up with the exchange rate. I think it was 1 euro= 10kr.

I didn’t realise you could pay with Euro’s, that’s handy to know, thanks.

1 minute ago, SarahHben said:

I didn’t realise you could pay with Euro’s, that’s handy to know, thanks.

I'm sure not everywhere, but near the ports many took euros. If you give the coach driver 5 Euro, I can't imagine turning his nose up.

• Like 1

We always take relevant cash to every country we visit. We were once on a cruise and stopped in Bergen and there was a couple panicking because he wanted to use the toilet and he couldnt get into public lavatory because he didnt have any cash only cards. 

• Like 1

We have never had a problem paying by card in Norway or any of the other Nordic countries even for small amounts like coffee and cake.  I travelled to all of the Nordic countries for work and even in small towns / villages most shops cafes etc take card payments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianI said:

You can also withdraw Norwegian krone from a Norwegian ATM using a UK bank card.

Brian

I know Norway is expensive but dont think you will need a bank note to use Public Conveniences and on a wet Sunday morning with nowhere open he was really panicking.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Decision made, we will  take a small amount of cash, don’t want to get caught out not being able to use a public loo! Brings back bad memories of running around frantically looking for a loo, for my desperate daughter, in Salisbury a few years ago and then having to root around for some cash once we did find one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks everyone. Decision made, we will  take a small amount of cash, don’t want to get caught out not being able to use a public loo! Brings back bad memories of running around frantically looking for a loo, for my desperate daughter, in Salisbury a few years ago and then having to root around for some cash once we did find one.

I think it is always wise to have some local currency. And it’s all part of the adventure!

Some years ago I had to pay by credit card to get into the toilets near the Tourist Information Office in Bergen (cash not accepted). Thank goodness I had a card with me!!!!  As others have said a small amount of NoK and/or € proved perfectly adequate. 

We also take a Halifax Clarity Mastercard which allows us to withdraw cash from ATMs without charge and at a very good  exchange rate - much better than than the High Street. (I think Nationwide card does too).  Although the bank doesn't charge for cash withdrawals, some ATM's do so you need to check.   It's useful as you can top up if you've spent more cash than expected part way though your holiday.  Just be aware though that interest becomes payable from the day cash is withdrawn unlike other transactions which only attract interest after payment becomes due.  

23 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Just wondering if it’s necessary to take any Krone currency when we cruise to Norway? I’ve read that you can pay by card for most things, but then as I was laying awake for most of last night I started thinking about things like tipping excursion coach drivers etc.

What would you recommend for a 7 day Norwegian cruise, 4 port days with 2 booked excursions so far.

Thanks

We usually take some cash and carry a debit card just in case. We never change any leftover cash back to sterling as we know we will likely be going to Norway again, plus with current interest rates a small amount of cash in a drawer is no biggie. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We usually take some cash and carry a debit card just in case. We never change any leftover cash back to sterling as we know we will likely be going to Norway again, plus with current interest rates a small amount of cash in a drawer is no biggie. 

Yes I was thinking last night that there wouldn’t be much point changing back currency to sterling. Hubby would love to do a Northern lights trip at some point so it won’t go to waste

• Like 1

As a lady of  certain age that loo trip is always on my mind wherever I go home or broad. I rarely get off the ship now but still have currency just in case.

We went to Norway on our first cruise in 2005. Knowing little, we bought what we thought was enough krone which turned out to be too much. A couple of fjords cruises later, we still had some left which we tried to spend a couple of years later only to be told that the notes were obsolete because they had changed their banknotes (like we have done over the last few years).
We still have a couple of hundred euros we bought a few years ago before cruising ground to a halt. I just hope we can use them in November this year when we hope to resume cruising.

Edited by pete14

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

We went to Norway on our first cruise in 2005. Knowing little, we bought what we thought was enough krone which turned out to be too much. A couple of fjords cruises later, we still had some left which we tried to spend a couple of years later only to be told that the notes were obsolete because they had changed their banknotes (like we have done over the last few years).
We still have a couple of hundred euros we bought a few years ago before cruising ground to a halt. I just hope we can use them in November this year when we hope to resume cruising.

That happened to me but luckily we visited Bergen and there was a national bank office there which changed them for nice new ones.

9 hours ago, davecttr said:

That happened to me but luckily we visited Bergen and there was a national bank office there which changed them for nice new ones.

I was in Tromso (I think). A local gave me directions to the National bank but it wasn’t where he said it was so, as it was cold and snowy, I gave up. Last stop was Stavanger which probably has a National Bank somewhere but as the weather was stormy, the captain decided to deprive me of the opportunity to nip to the bank and back, by heading for home. ☹️

On the topic of new/replacement Norwegian Krone notes, this happened to us a few years ago.  We had a few of the £5 and £10 (50kr / 100kr) notes I think which were no longer useable, and the Norges Bank in Oslo was closed because it was the weekend.

If you have the same problem then you can actually send the bank notes off (there is a form on their website - in English) and the bank will transfer to your card the value of the old bank notes.  Fairly painless!

It did cost a £1 or so to send the bank notes back to Norway and yes there is always the risk that they get lost in the post, but given that they are worthless to you anyway, worth doing.  You can insure higher values.  All sorted in 2 weeks.

There are various websites who will take old notes in any currency and do the same, but there are often transaction fees and poorer exchange rates.  Clearly, if you have valid bank notes and do not intend to go back to the specific country then a bureau de change can also help.

Never spent cash in Norway and its about 12 years since our first trip.  Cards everywhere.  As I haven't spent any cash in the UK for months I doubt Norway is using more cash now.

If you decide to spend serious money on something, don't forget to claim the VAT back.