Hawaii Cruise Oct/Nov

caseyg51

Planning a cruise to Hawaii from Calif.   I would like suggestions which month (as a rule) offers calmer seas Oct or Nov.   Of if there is a better month for the cruise please feel free to offer advise.  Thanks for your help

I did 4 days in Kauai and 4 days in Oahu. I agree that spending the time there was absolutely fantastic. The same can be said for many other islands as well.

Hawaii, especially venturing to all of the hotspots, is no easy or cheap feat, any way you slice it. Flying there is costly, hotels are a pretty penny, transportation around, food, etc. I'd say it was worth it, but not for everyone and every trip. Most of the cruises go to 3-4 of the different islands and travel there while  you sleep. Some of the stops are 12 hours. A cruise makes it a lot more accessible for a lot of people. 

I do wish we would get rid of archaic rules that require this itinerary to go out of its way and not focus on the beauty that is Hawaii. Either way, I will definitely be doing a Hawaii cruise one day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I did 4 days in Kauai and 4 days in Oahu. I agree that spending the time there was absolutely fantastic. The same can be said for many other islands as well.

Hawaii, especially venturing to all of the hotspots, is no easy or cheap feat, any way you slice it. Flying there is costly, hotels are a pretty penny, transportation around, food, etc. I'd say it was worth it, but not for everyone and every trip. Most of the cruises go to 3-4 of the different islands and travel there while  you sleep. Some of the stops are 12 hours. A cruise makes it a lot more accessible for a lot of people. 

I do wish we would get rid of archaic rules that require this itinerary to go out of its way and not focus on the beauty that is Hawaii. Either way, I will definitely be doing a Hawaii cruise one day.

I agree. We are going to the Hawaii as a stop over (flying ) to pick up a cruise in SF.  The cost of everything on Oahu is through the roof from hotels to rental cars. Its made me look at the Pride of America cruise which everyone  says is $$$ from a different POV . May well do that in a future year. 

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

Small remote islands are more expensive anyway because of the cost of freight. Plus Hawaii is very popular so demand pushes prices up. 

Thanks, i live on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria near Western Sahara, but prices here are not much different than on mainland Spain. I do note that, Hawaii is a lot further to mainland America. 

9 hours ago, gerryuk said:

Thanks, i live on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria near Western Sahara, but prices here are not much different than on mainland Spain. I do note that, Hawaii is a lot further to mainland America. 

I've just booked flights - its 5.5 hours HNL-SFO I suspect LAX is slightly closer. Its 8.5 hours from AKL-HNL.  And NZ already has a much higher cost of living than Spain.

I'd love to get  to the Carnaries! 

20 minutes ago, lissie said:

I've just booked flights - its 5.5 hours HNL-SFO I suspect LAX is slightly closer. Its 8.5 hours from AKL-HNL.  And NZ already has a much higher cost of living than Spain.

I'd love to get  to the Carnaries! 

Actually,  due to the shape of California,  and the curve of the earth, SFO is slightly closer than LAX. Not a lot..about 160 miles.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We cruised to Hawaii from LA the last few days of October through the first two weeks in November. The seas were not rough on our sailing but the first couple days were cooler. Otherwise we had perfect weather and conditions. Maybe others can advise on other times of the year but this was our November experience. I’ve heard the seas can be rougher in the winter so it’s possible our experience may not be the norm but we had no problems with that at all. We’re going again in January from San Diego so we’ll see!

Generally speaking the seas are rougher in the winter vs the summer. Another thing to keep in mind is our rainy season runs November through mid April…though you will get quick passing showers anytime of year. If I were to do a Hawaii cruise I would try and go during the month of May, everything and I mean everything is in bloom..it’s just a spectacular time of year. 

41 minutes ago, JBethM said:

I would love ideas of what to do in Kuai. (No hikes). We plan to have a rental car, and will be there 2 days. So far  I have a helicopter tour planned. After researching the different islands, this seems like the best island to do that. Would you agree? Any other ideas?

I would agree that Kauai is the best island to do the helicopter tour, Kauai is known for its lush dramatic scenery. The northern coast of Kauai and Oahu have stunning beaches, perhaps a beach day? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bocadude85 said:

I would agree that Kauai is the best island to do the helicopter tour, Kauai is known for its lush dramatic scenery. The northern coast of Kauai and Oahu have stunning beaches, perhaps a beach day? 

I definitely want a beach day. My husband & mother in law probably won't, but they can drop me off & maybe find something else to do. They can maybe shop for souvenirs or something like that. I'd looked at Kalapaki or Poipu beaches. Would these be good choices? Are they close to ship? Any places to shop close by for my family? I sincerely appreciate your helpful advice! 

1 hour ago, JBethM said:

I would love ideas of what to do in Kuai. (No hikes). We plan to have a rental car, and will be there 2 days. So far  I have a helicopter tour planned. After researching the different islands, this seems like the best island to do that. Would you agree? Any other ideas?

It’s spelled Kauai. 
Dinner at the Beach House Restaurant with a west/southwest facing “window” table that will have you seated just prior to sunset. Call now.
The county museum in Lihue is one of the best places in the islands (besides the much larger Bishop Museum on Oahu) to see/understand the history and culture of Hawaii.
Beginner snorkeled? Lydgate State Park in Kapa’a. Advanced snorkeler? The Tunnels up  north. Drive up north to Princeville for gorgeous scenery along the way (stop at the Tahiti Nui Bar in Hanalei for a cocktail (just like Clooney in “The Descendants” and  also try to drive up the west side of the island to see Waimea Canyon.
More snorkeling at Poipu. Great botanical garden not far from Port Allen. Eat at Duke’s Canoe Club.

Catamaran cruise with Captain Andy on the NaPali Coast.

Now that’s about a week’s worth of stuff beyond the daily beach hangouts. If you were there longer on a land trip, I’d also say stay at the Hyatt Regency in Poipu and do a luau too.

BUT, understand one thing: After Kauai, you’ll never want to go to the Caribbean again. Polynesia? Maybe (no, definitely). But say “bye bye” to the Caribbean. Soooo boring!

Get a real lei at Flowers Forever in Lihue (order weeks ahead - see choices online- but understand that the truly beautiful ones are at least $50 [and worth every penny]). Not far from there, have lunch with the locals at Hamura Saimin.

44C037F5-98B2-4239-AC92-B59864ED37CA.jpeg

06B5A2BB-DEF3-40A9-8AF0-73E81C8F8C9C.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s spelled Kauai. 
Dinner at the Beach House Restaurant with a west/southwest facing “window” table that will have you seated just prior to sunset. Call now.
The county museum in Lihue is one of the best places in the islands (besides the much larger Bishop Museum on Oahu) to see/understand the history and culture of Hawaii.
Beginner snorkeled? Lydgate State Park in Kapa’a. Advanced snorkeler? The Tunnels up  north. Drive up north to Princeville for gorgeous scenery along the way (stop at the Tahiti Nui Bar in Hanalei for a cocktail (just like Clooney in “The Descendants” and  also try to drive up the west side of the island to see Waimea Canyon.
More snorkeling at Poipu. Great botanical garden not far from Port Allen. Eat at Duke’s Canoe Club.

Catamaran cruise with Captain Andy on the NaPali Coast.

Now that’s about a week’s worth of stuff beyond the daily beach hangouts. If you were there longer on a land trip, I’d also say stay at the Hyatt Regency in Poipu and do a luau too.

BUT, understand one thing: After Kauai, you’ll never want to go to the Caribbean again. Polynesia? Maybe (no, definitely). But say “bye bye” to the Caribbean. Soooo boring!

Get a real lei at Flowers Forever in Lihue (order weeks ahead - see choices online- but understand that the truly beautiful ones are at least $50 [and worth every penny]). Not far from there, have lunch with the locals at Hamura Saimin.

44C037F5-98B2-4239-AC92-B59864ED37CA.jpeg

06B5A2BB-DEF3-40A9-8AF0-73E81C8F8C9C.jpeg

I was corrected above by someone else for misspelling Kauai. I do apologize. I'm having a hard time with the spelling & pronunciation of all things Hawaii. 

I do think the Caribbean is beautiful. I listed it as my favorite place to cruise because it is the only place (minus Alaska) that I have cruised. I can't wait to experience Hawaii though & many other places in the future. 

Thanks so much for this info! I'm making a note of it! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JBethM said:

I was corrected above by someone else for misspelling Kauai. I do apologize. I'm having a hard time with the spelling & pronunciation of all things Hawaii. 

I do think the Caribbean is beautiful. I listed it as my favorite place to cruise because it is the only place (minus Alaska) that I have cruised. I can't wait to experience Hawaii though & many other places in the future. 

Thanks so much for this info! I'm making a note of it! 

You’ll figure out Hawaiian language basics eventually. After all, the alphabet only has 13 letters.

Here’s the absolutely best guidebook for Kauai:

AB99E468-7D36-41B2-A6B7-641B380A2AC1.jpeg

• Like 2