Ruby Princess reversed course, medical emergency onboard

PescadoAmarillo

9 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Captain Stephen Lewis just announced that there is a non-COVID medical emergency onboard and the Ruby Princess, en route to Hawaii, has been instructed to reverse course back to California for a rendezvous with a medical helicopter. 

IMG_0285.MOV

Wow!  Our prayers go out to the Ruby...  🙏

• Like 3

This happened to us on a Hawaii HAL cruise out of San Diego a few years ago. The ship had a camera that allowed the passengers to view the rescue on the stateroom TV.  Those Coast Guard guys are amazing. It was a crew member that had to be evacuated and the captain advised  everyone a few days later that the person was ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Captain Stephen Lewis just announced that there is a non-COVID medical emergency onboard and the Ruby Princess, en route to Hawaii, has been instructed to reverse course back to California for a rendezvous with a medical helicopter. 

IMG_0285.MOV

wow - how many hours / days are you into the cruise ??  

This happened to us on a Regal Transatlantic a few years ago.  We were also a full day in, sailed back as fast and far as we had to to meet the helicopter, they did the evacuation, then we *hit it* across to make all our ports!  I was sure we'd miss at least one due to the delay, but we didn't.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pompeii said:

This happened to us on a Regal Transatlantic a few years ago.  We were also a full day in, sailed back as fast and far as we had to to meet the helicopter, they did the evacuation, then we *hit it* across to make all our ports!  I was sure we'd miss at least one due to the delay, but we didn't.  

Agree. According to Cruisemapper, Ruby Princess is presently making 22 knots with a top listed speed of 23 knots. We had similar situation of lost days due to a man overboard. Coincidentally also a Hawaii cruise out of San Francisco. The ship made up for lost time and lost no port days. We could really hear the engines roar! To those aboard, in our experience, Princess will try to make things right in some way.

• Like 1

I’m not saying Ruby is cursed, but we had:

1) Unexpected medical tender in Cabo

2) Unscheduled call in Ensenada (crew exchange)

3) Route diversion due to sailing into a hot gunnery/torpædo range. 
4) Tsunami alert

Maybe it’s Captain Lewis . . . 

Edited by VibeGuy

It's fairly common, especially on long cruises with many older passengers. I had one with an emergency going to Hawaii, but we were in the middle of the ocean, so the Captain cranked up the speed and we got to Hawaii a day early. I was really happy, because I realized I'm not really able to handle 7 days at sea without a port stop. As someone terrified of heights, I think a helicopter medevac from a ship would be a nightmare--I couldn't watch when I saw Astoria harbor pilots being lifted off ships by helicopter.