Bittersweet video from the former Celebrity Horizon...

Stockjock

Some know that Celebrity Horizon was transferred to Pullmantur, a Spanish cruise line which was 50% owned by RCCL.  Unfortunately, Pullmantur seems to be history, as they've filed for bankruptcy and scrapped 2 of their 3 ships.  Horizon is still out there somewhere, likely off the coast of Greece (they turned off their transponder in 2020) and I'm not sure of her ultimate fate.  I do believe that the likely initial plan was for Celebrity to transfer Infinity and Constellation to Pullmantur so that they could start sailing again with 2 of 3 "new" ships, but at this stage, I think that likely won't happen.

I've sailed on Horizon under Pullmantur and while the ship had definitely seen far better days, the crew was terrific, the food though simple was outstanding, the ports were varied and somewhat unusual and the value was extremely good.

Sometimes, we may forget about the fallout when a ship is scrapped or a cruise line shuts down.  In the case of Pullmantur, it seems that the crew was generally quite happy.  

I belong to a group mostly consisting of their former employees and they miss their guests, they miss their jobs, they miss their friends, they miss their former lives and they miss their ships.  It's kind of sad to see that many are praying for a Pullmantur comeback, although at this stage I doubt that will happen.  I have a couple of their employees who contact me periodically asking me if I've heard anything about a return of the cruise line, but I haven't recently and am not at all optimistic.

This is the sort of sentiment that is sometimes shared.  Bittersweet.  For those who sailed on Horizon, likely under Celebrity's flag, it may bring back some memories.  Not sure if this link will work for everyone, but it should work for some or most.
https://www.facebook.com/100034219265621/videos/434733644343941

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Leela said:

Pour one out for Horizon. I miss her and Zenith.

When I sailed on Horizon a few years back, they called her "human sized".  I liked that description and came to appreciate some of the smaller ships.

• Like 2

Great video, thanks. Always bittersweet when your first ship ceases operation. Our first cruise was on the Carnival Imagination, and there was a twinge of sadness when she was scrapped last year. Tough to see, knowing that she opened up the world of cruising to us and our kids. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

Sailed Horizon back in the early 90's. Was the ship that gave me a love for cruising, especially with Celebrity. Still one of the best experiences cruising after 20 plus cruises!

Agree, she was brand new, Celebrity’s first new build.

• Like 1

My favorite ship was the Century….I had 20+ cruises on her in 15 months. My time on her was a total of 35, estimate. She was intimate, very nicely decorated, great food, but the best staff and crew anyone could wish for. I literally broke into tears when they cut open the ship to install the balconies in 2006. She was still beautiful after that. I always felt I was home when I walked onto the gangway to board.

• Like 2

You just brought tears to my eyes. My husband and I cruised on her during our early years of marriage.  (We recently celebrated our 51st anniversary.) My parents and Godfather were with us. They have since passed into cruise heaven. To add to the impact of this memory, I just watched Titanic for the 10th time last night. It was a different era of cruising with rented tuxedos and  gown-like dresses for women. We all walked in to dinner single file as we were greeted by the captain. I still have beautiful family pictures taken on this ship. Your question was how we felt watching this........... a bit overwhelmed with beautiful memories. Thank you for that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruising is my passion said:

My favorite ship was the Century….I had 20+ cruises on her in 15 months. My time on her was a total of 35, estimate. She was intimate, very nicely decorated, great food, but the best staff and crew anyone could wish for. I literally broke into tears when they cut open the ship to install the balconies in 2006. She was still beautiful after that. I always felt I was home when I walked onto the gangway to board.

My first Celebrity cruise was on Century, I think it was 1998 or so.

I thought she was magnificent!  They gave us a "free upgrade", which basically meant moving us to a higher floor.  Even though it was probably not really a better cabin, my then GF and I were thrilled.

We were also the first ones on the ship, and they applauded us as we stepped over the threshold and onto the ship.  Got invited to the Captain's table for dinner after the first night aboard.  Hasn't happened since.  I think it was because my GF was so good-looking and chesty, lol.

Edited by Stockjock

• 2 weeks later...

It was Celebrity Horizon that introduced my family to cruising. First trip was on Horizon to Bermuda out of Hampton Roads VA, in 2005. Such great memories. I still love smaller ships, but their numbers are decreasing quickly.