Edge Sunset Veranda

Hawkstar33

2 hours ago, jwlane said:

Apex 7315

2021-07-18 10.32.09.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive - especially on Cruise Critic. Thank you jwlane!!

Was it difficult to access the closet? We've had the bed by the balcony for all of our previous sailings, so have never had to deal with this configuration.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:36 AM, jwlane said:

1st week was in 12265, 2nd was in 7315---it was more like we noticed 7315 to be bigger!  Both are very roomy, nice open space between the couch and the balcony door. (1st is 11272, 2nd is 7315)

2022-02-04 18.46.05.jpg

2021-07-18 10.31.47.jpg

I'm in 11272 Apex for an upcoming cruise.   Looks like there is a lounger on the veranda!!!!   Awesome.

Thanks for the pic!!

We had talked about trying out an aft balcony for decades ... but we weren't sure if we'd like the experience.  

Whenever we'd walk on a ship's wrap-around Promenade deck (usually on deck 6, 7 or 8), we'd appreciate the beautiful view, but to be honest, found the "roar" of the wake, at that level, to be nice for a walk, but didn't know if we'd find it a bit much for an entire cruise.

When the E-class ships came out, we knew immediately that we weren't interested in the IV "balcony" cabins, so when we booked for our September Edge cruise last September, we decided to pull the trigger and finally try out a SV.

We booked 10280, and thought it was fantastic.  NIce big balcony (seems like the balconies are larger in the middle of the aft and get a tiny bit smaller as they work out to the sides, before the S1's.  With cabin decks above and below us, we heard absolutely nothing from public areas.  The sound of the ocean was not at all overwhelming, but was very soothing.  We felt no vibrating at all, and we had expected to.  We did experience a little bit of soot, but that was easily taken care of, and wasn't an issue at all.  There were 2 loungers out on the balcony when we arrived.  

An FYI:  In that cabin, the bed was by the balcony, and while that does give you slightly more maneuverable access to the closets, we didn't think it was that big a deal and would have been fine either way.

For us now, for E-class ships, it's definitely aft all the way!

100_4263.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Robkat said:

We had talked about trying out an aft balcony for decades ... but we weren't sure if we'd like the experience.  

Whenever we'd walk on a ship's wrap-around Promenade deck (usually on deck 6, 7 or 8), we'd appreciate the beautiful view, but to be honest, found the "roar" of the wake, at that level, to be nice for a walk, but didn't know if we'd find it a bit much for an entire cruise.

When the E-class ships came out, we knew immediately that we weren't interested in the IV "balcony" cabins, so when we booked for our September Edge cruise last September, we decided to pull the trigger and finally try out a SV.

We booked 10280, and thought it was fantastic.  NIce big balcony (seems like the balconies are larger in the middle of the aft and get a tiny bit smaller as they work out to the sides, before the S1's.  With cabin decks above and below us, we heard absolutely nothing from public areas.  The sound of the ocean was not at all overwhelming, but was very soothing.  We felt no vibrating at all, and we had expected to.  We did experience a little bit of soot, but that was easily taken care of, and wasn't an issue at all.  There were 2 loungers out on the balcony when we arrived.  

An FYI:  In that cabin, the bed was by the balcony, and while that does give you slightly more maneuverable access to the closets, we didn't think it was that big a deal and would have been fine either way.

100_4263.JPG

I've only been in aft cabins on all my cruises,   as I over heard on my first cruise from my neighbor "once you go aft you never go back"   I agree 🙂

• Like 1

We booked SV 9322 on Beyond.  This connects to the suite beside.

can someone confirm that connection of such cabins on Edge classs ships are exterieur in hallway, similar to connecting  verandas on Silhouette etc and not via inside doors ?

8 hours ago, lara h said:

Do you recommend a tip to "secure" loungers?

Both hubby and I have leg issues so to be able to stretch them out on a lounger would be a great help.

Just ask your stateroom attendant when you first meet.  They are very accommodating.

9 hours ago, lara h said:

Do you recommend a tip to "secure" loungers?

Both hubby and I have leg issues so to be able to stretch them out on a lounger would be a great help.

Oh yes will tip him/her for that.  I only ask for one other thing usually.  A Full ice bucket a couple times a day. And that gets them a tip.   

11 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Oh yes will tip him/her for that.  I only ask for one other thing usually.  A Full ice bucket a couple times a day. And that gets them a tip.   

You may find there is already a lounge chair on your balcony. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 5:08 PM, FionaL91 said:

I've noticed that on a March 2024 trip around NZ, the sunset veranda is cheaper than an infinite veranda. Is that normal for the Edge? 

I don't know about the Edge, but I booked a sunset veranda on the Beyond for January 2023, for less than an IV. Booked it last month while we were onboard the Millennium. Those prices have since gone up. We've never been in a sunset veranda before, and I'm really excited about it. Haven't been in Edge class yet either. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 2:31 PM, Robkat said:

100_4263.JPG

Do you know if your balcony connected to 10273 which would have been to your right as you faced the water?

4 hours ago, Peteymil said:

Do you know if your balcony connected to 10273 which would have been to your right as you faced the water?

Hey there,

So, we didn't have a need to open up the balconies, so we can't tell you 100%, but we did find these two photos which can tell you a little.  On the left side of the balcony (as you face the water), there is a definite bulkhead wall, so it's obvious that those 2 balconies wouldn't be able to connect.

But, on the balcony wall connecting with cabin 10273, it's a different set up.  If you enlarge the photo, think you can make out a small lock, which would be used to open up and connect those two cabins.

Again, won't claim this as 100%, but the photos seem to show it leans that way.

100_4263.JPG

100_4264.JPG

20 hours ago, Robkat said:

Hey there,

So, we didn't have a need to open up the balconies, so we can't tell you 100%, but we did find these two photos which can tell you a little.  On the left side of the balcony (as you face the water), there is a definite bulkhead wall, so it's obvious that those 2 balconies wouldn't be able to connect.

But, on the balcony wall connecting with cabin 10273, it's a different set up.  If you enlarge the photo, think you can make out a small lock, which would be used to open up and connect those two cabins.

Again, won't claim this as 100%, but the photos seem to show it leans that way.

100_4263.JPG

100_4264.JPG

Thank you so much for your response. That is what I thought too, so I will cross my fingers.

We've stayed in 12166 on Edge for a 7-nighter. Here are my cons:

• The noise from chairs being moved around above us was annoying and never seemed to stop--it was constant. I won't book another SV on the 12th floor again because of it.
  • There was some soot on the lawn chairs on the balcony. I say lawn chairs because they weren't anything that one could lounge in. It was disappointing to have the space of the balcony and such confining furniture.
  • This is more a personal preference--We took this vacation to relax and escape the go-go-go of our lives. I found that watching the churn of the boat from balcony always made it feel like we were on the move. I just wanted to drift away on this vacation but the churn (both the noise and visual) were a constant reminder that we were on the go. For this reason, I probably wouldn't book a SV again, but I know this is probably not a common sentiment.
  • Wife found the walk to the elevators to be burdensome. I didn't mind it.
  • We are new to cruising so we don't have great sea legs. The back of the boat did seem to produce more motion than other areas of the ship.

All of the good we found with the room has already been covered in the thread. We still had a great time despite these drawbacks.