PCR Test Required Before Arrival at Check-in

Calliope

I just received my documents today for an upcoming Str. AMERICAN QUEEN cruise. Clearly stated within the precruise/check-in information  is the new Covid testing policy. It is now the passenger's responsibility to obtain within 48 hours of boarding a PCR test. And furthermore it must be a PCR test. Antigen tests will not be accepted. 

I found a walk-in location, or make an appointment, across the river in Gretna, LA that provides rapid PCR testing 7 days a week. It's not too far, just across the Greater New Orleans Connecter Bridge from downtown New Orleans. It is quite price though at $200.00 per test.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, strickerj said:

This is the first I've heard of a cruise line requiring a PCR test rather than an antigen; is this new?

We sailed on Royal Caribbean to Alaska in October, 2021and they also required a PCR test 2 days prior to sailing.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blctlc said:

We sailed on Royal Caribbean to Alaska in October, 2021and they also required a PCR test 2 days prior to sailing.  

Oh really? I guess I've only checked Holland America but I thought they'd all be the same. Guess not then.

6 hours ago, Calliope said:

I just received my documents today for an upcoming Str. AMERICAN QUEEN cruise. Clearly stated within the precruise/check-in information  is the new Covid testing policy. It is now the passenger's responsibility to obtain within 48 hours of boarding a PCR test. And furthermore it must be a PCR test. Antigen tests will not be accepted. 

I found a walk-in location, or make an appointment, across the river in Gretna, LA that provides rapid PCR testing 7 days a week. It's not too far, just across the Greater New Orleans Connecter Bridge from downtown New Orleans. It is quite price though at $200.00 per test.

There is another post that would benefit from this information.  It starts with the title English woman...  It would be great if you could share this to that post as well.  😃

AQSC has clearly changed their policy. When we sailed on the Queen in September, the cost of the PCR test was included. The test was required of every guest, and they were performed at the hotel the day before departure. We got the results by email in about an hour. This system seemed to work fine. Can’t imagine why they changed it, except to save money. 
1B450BEF-BD74-4E30-92DD-CD80BEC0F7DC.thumb.jpeg.750b37f01c9275607a9642e4054ef428.jpeg

I will probably be cancelling my Alaska cruise on the Ocean Victory in June. I have flights arriving Sunday to stay two days in a hotel before the ship leaves on Tuesday. I had planned to get the COVID-19 test at the hotel as they promised earlier. I can't get a test at home before leaving because it is more than two days. The only place to get PCR tests in Sitka is available from noon to 3 pm Monday through Friday and from noon to 2 pm on Saturday. So the earliest I can get a test is noon Monday before Tuesday embarkation. The provider says I will have results in 24 to 48 hours.

I've asked my travel agent to contact someone in American Queen management to find out if they have any way for me to take the cruise. I still have a couple of more weeks in the $250 cancellation penalty period, and I will cancel before the end of that period if I don't get some resolution.

Their current policy makes it almost impossible for me to take the cruise - but they will still charge me a cancellation penalty to cancel. I was happy with my Mississippi River cruise with them and booked a couple of more. However, I do not currently plan to book with them again and I would not recommend them to anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are flying out from California March 3 to New Orleans for the March 7 American Queen boarding NOLA to Memphis, so we can't do PCR test at home to be within the 3 days, but I found a close walk-in (not drive-through) testing site right on Canal St. https://www.nolacovidtesting.com/ and they are cheaper than the Gretna site that AQSC recommended; I called and the woman said it's $60 for the rapid PCR ("results within 30 minutes") and free for the 24-hour PCR (but that is for US Citizens with insurance). They are walk-in and don't require an appointment but say it is preferred, so I made appointment on that site. They did not send me a confirmation email so you if you  make an appt. write down their confirmation number. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the information!  I hope you have a wonderful cruise.  We'll be taking the same trip on March 21, so I'll be interested in hearing about your experience.

We booked this trip last summer, when we opted to keep our travels within the U.S., thinking that  it might be less of a hassle than traveling to Europe for another river cruise (we have done 9, all of which we thoroughly enjoyed, with the exception of our trip with Viking).  When we booked, AQ stated that they would provide Covid testing (at their expense) at the hotel before we embarked on the cruise. When I talked to a rep in January, this was still the case.  Since then AQ has modified that, making it the passenger's responsibility at their own cost and time to obtain the test, first stating that this must be done within 48 hours of embarkation and now allowing the test to be done 72 hours before embarkation.  I'm hoping that by the time we take our cruise they will lift the testing requirement completely.

This is my first experience with AQ, and so far I have been very disappointed.  In addition to the testing requirement changes, I also was told that when we disembark in Memphis we have to be off the boat by 9 a.m.  I fully expected to have to be out of our cabins early, but I was hoping we would be able to have a leisurely morning before heading to the airport.  Our flight doesn't leave until 1:30, and unfortunately the only excursion offered doesn't allow enough time at the airport.  I asked if we could at least store our luggage on the boat while we explored the area and I was given a definite "NO".  

I thought taking a Mississippi cruise with AQ would be a better option than traveling to Europe, but not only is it costing us almost twice as much as a 7 - 10 day European river cruise, just the experience of dealing with the company has been quite disappointing.  I'm hoping that once on board the boat I will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, amenuensis said:

We are flying out from California March 3 to New Orleans for the March 7 American Queen boarding NOLA to Memphis, so we can't do PCR test at home to be within the 3 days, but I found a close walk-in (not drive-through) testing site right on Canal St. https://www.nolacovidtesting.com/ and they are cheaper than the Gretna site that AQSC recommended; I called and the woman said it's $60 for the rapid PCR ("results within 30 minutes") and free for the 24-hour PCR (but that is for US Citizens with insurance). They are walk-in and don't require an appointment but say it is preferred, so I made appointment on that site. They did not send me a confirmation email so you if you  make an appt. write down their confirmation number. 

We are on the Mar 14th sailing from Memphis. We are flying all day on the 12th and have an excursion on the 14th/board on the 14th. So, we would have to test on SUNDAY the 13th. I can't find any PCR testing on a Sunday for under $150, that would guarantee results before boarding.

Does anyone have a recommendation for Memphis on a Sunday or Friday night?

We've taken five cruises since August and all have either tested passengers for free at embarkation (Azamara) or required a monitored Antigen test. Even Italy (really, really a royal pain to go through their hurdles) allowed a monitored Antigen test. It's fine if they want a PCR test, but if they are that picky, they should provide it. At least provide it for a discounted price. I'm really fed up with all of the random, last-minute rule changes---don't get me started on the long list of protocol changes we have endured--many with absolutely no notice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, amenuensis said:

Did many people have a test that wasn't accepted? 

Can you ask the people checking the tests if they accept a NAAT test as a PCR test?

Thank you!!

Diana (3/14/22 sailing)

Edited by Cruizer Diana

1 hour ago, Cruizer Diana said:

Did many people have a test that wasn't accepted? 

Can you ask the people checking the tests if they accept a NAAT test as a PCR test?

Thank you!!

Diana (3/14/22 sailing)

I am just seeing this. I will ask but I doubt it. We got our PCR test in NOLA testing site it was easy and close (on Canal St.) and we didn't pay anything because we chose the 24 Hour PCR test. The 15 minute one was $60. We took the test at 10:20 am and got our results the next morning via emailed PDF. I didn't even have to print it out I just showed it to the checkin person on my cellphone.  I see they are changing their policy soon? There was a couple there that hadn't gotten tested yet and they said they could get tested at the hotel for $20, which was news to us! 

Anyway we are on board and just completed the muster drill and so far so good. My only caveat is the Hilton room where we checked in was FREEZING and you're in there for awhile on one line then another, so wear a jacket! I had a sweater on and I was still cold. Also if you don't want to stray far from the hotel waiting to board the boat, there is a Riverwalk Shopping Mall that you can walk to without going outside, theres an inside walkway connecting the Hilton to it and there are lots of stores and food courts etc. It's a little convoluted to get there from the lobby but I just asked the concierge. I'll keep trying to post, the wifi seems fine but we are still docked in New Orleans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amenuensis said:

I am just seeing this. I will ask but I doubt it. We got our PCR test in NOLA testing site it was easy and close (on Canal St.) and we didn't pay anything because we chose the 24 Hour PCR test. The 15 minute one was $60. We took the test at 10:20 am and got our results the next morning via emailed PDF. I didn't even have to print it out I just showed it to the checkin person on my cellphone.  I see they are changing their policy soon? There was a couple there that hadn't gotten tested yet and they said they could get tested at the hotel for $20, which was news to us! 

Anyway we are on board and just completed the muster drill and so far so good. My only caveat is the Hilton room where we checked in was FREEZING and you're in there for awhile on one line then another, so wear a jacket! I had a sweater on and I was still cold. Also if you don't want to stray far from the hotel waiting to board the boat, there is a Riverwalk Shopping Mall that you can walk to without going outside, theres an inside walkway connecting the Hilton to it and there are lots of stores and food courts etc. It's a little convoluted to get there from the lobby but I just asked the concierge. I'll keep trying to post, the wifi seems fine but we are still docked in New Orleans.

Thank you for your reply. Hope you get more info. Wish Memphis had an option as easy as yours. $20 would be a good deal. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

22 hours ago, amenuensis said:

Thank you for posting!  We are looking forward to our trip in less than 2 weeks and are so happy that the company decided to once again provide testing at the hotel. I'll be checking for any updates that you post! Have a wonderful trip!