New Travel Requirements For Canada to be Announced

Keata

19 minutes ago, Froufie said:

No more than 24 hrs is different that day before?  (which may be longer than 24 hrs??) - most confusing.

And on the website it states day PRIOR to travel so now everyone who is flying out day of disembarkation is also confused  - wording definitely needs to be changed or clarified.....LOL....

• Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.

This is VERY confusing indeed. The minister said 24 hours, I watched the press conference. That is different from "the day before". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

It's $79 CAD to buy a SwitchHealth one that you can bring with you.  

We are flying out of Houston.  I didn't want to rely on getting a free one.  It's better than the $150 RT Lamp test I was going to buy or the $300 USD airport one.  I did make the mistake of booking our flight same day as the end of our cruise. 

ETA - I just realized it is $79 for two tests.  Even better. 

My understanding is the two tests are for one person in case one fails.

Royal offers testing for $99.  Still ridiculously expensive but at least the results are guaranteed immediately same day.

Wonder how they'll handle the testing requirement before re-entry since we're sailing out of Vancouver. Does that mean if we test positive we need to camp out in the terminal building right in front of the customs line for 11 days. 😄

In all seriousness, enough with the baby steps. I'm not saying to hell with all precautions but we do have to get back to some semblance of normalcy sooner rather than later. Provinces are starting to accelerate the winding down of their restrictions, the feds need to get in lockstep with them.

For me it will be interesting to see how many more changes happen before our Aug. Alaska cruise. But regardless, we'll deal with it when the time comes. Good thing is that both our cruises are grandfathered and X will be providing (paying for) the test as our "Plan A".

27 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

Wonder how they'll handle the testing requirement before re-entry since we're sailing out of Vancouver. Does that mean if we test positive we need to camp out in the terminal building right in front of the customs line for 11 days. 😄

In all seriousness, enough with the baby steps. I'm not saying to hell with all precautions but we do have to get back to some semblance of normalcy sooner rather than later. Provinces are starting to accelerate the winding down of their restrictions, the feds need to get in lockstep with them.

For me it will be interesting to see how many more changes happen before our Aug. Alaska cruise. But regardless, we'll deal with it when the time comes. Good thing is that both our cruises are grandfathered and X will be providing (paying for) the test as our "Plan A".

Transport Minister Alghabra said at today's press conference that information with respect to testing of cruise passengers arriving at Canadian ports would be announced "very soon". Stay tuned!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaddyandMax said:

Royal offers testing for $99.  Still ridiculously expensive but at least the results are guaranteed immediately same day.

I am comfortable enough to roll the dice and just take one each. We should be able to find one locally before our flight if our switchhealth test fails. 

And if not, the rapid test at the airport is not crazy expensive. 

I was looking at the Canada website on covid border testing that they do.  Definitely an increase in Dec and early January  but the numbers starting to drop in late January.  Like to see the Feb numbers. If they are like last year , I would hope that would compel the dropping of the antigen test all together as the percentile of travelers with Covid was extremly low before omicron.  I would think the random testing when you get back into the country would be enough.   If not all travelers  into  Canada, at least with travel to and from from the U.S.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/testing-screening-contact-tracing/summary-data-travellers.html

14 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I am comfortable enough to roll the dice and just take one each. We should be able to find one locally before our flight if our switchhealth test fails. 

And if not, the rapid test at the airport is not crazy expensive. 

Oh definitely. I agree.  I've done so many rapid tests at this point visiting people in LTC that I don't think I could possibly screw one up.  But a lot of people haven't and don't notice the fine print about the switch tests 🙂

We are traveling with nervous parents who want to know they will for sure get their test results in time so we will be using Royal and paying through the nose.  It's frustrating.  If you can get a rapid test here in Canada for $20 there is no way in heck they should be charging US$99...

16 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Oh definitely. I agree.  I've done so many rapid tests at this point visiting people in LTC that I don't think I could possibly screw one up.  But a lot of people haven't and don't notice the fine print about the switch tests 🙂

We are traveling with nervous parents who want to know they will for sure get their test results in time so we will be using Royal and paying through the nose.  It's frustrating.  If you can get a rapid test here in Canada for $20 there is no way in heck they should be charging US$99...

With todays announcement I expect the Antigen Test will increase in cost and furthermore, Walgreens and other will be charging non US residents.

1 hour ago, cdn_tbird said:

1 hour ago, cdn_tbird said:

We booked our May Alaska cruise with Royal Caribbean, this was when they were still providing the PCR test for anyone who needed one, and we were understanding that our cruise would be grandfathered in, but, apparently not. I emailed Michael Bayley and they replied that we are on our own, no grandfathering in. Funny how two companies, same owners, have 2 different sets of policies.

Edited by Bronx12

9 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

With todays announcement I expect the Antigen Test will increase in cost and furthermore, Walgreens and other will be charging non US residents.

If they were not charging for the more expensive PCR tests why would they now start charging for the antigen tests?  I guess the assumption is more Canadians would be travelling to the US now and there would be an increase in antigen test demand?

If that is the case then I think most travellers would be willing to pay the extra cost (way cheaper than PCR tests) and would factor that into their vacation budget?  My fear would be them shutting down this option, even if you were willing to pay!

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I watched the entire press conference, and can assure you that Minister Duclos stated that changes to the short trip requirements might be considered in the future but are not included in the forthcoming changes.

Thanks.  Let's hope that "future" is before March 11th for us.  Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

This is the reason why it is suggested that you get a ride to the border, cross on foot and get a taxi/uber from there. While not included in this first round of easing restrictions, I'm pretty sure that it will come in the not-too-distant future, barring another wave.

Unfortunately, we need to cross at either of the 2 crossings in Detroit or the one in Sarnia to catch our flight from Detroit.  All 3 do not permit foot traffic.  This is not like other crossings that permit you to simply walk across.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Something else to consider is the fact that few Americans now require antigen test, but with Canada relaxing its requirements, there are going to be significantly more heading north for holidays who will now require the tests.

So, so disappointed in today's relaxation? of the rules.  I don't see why international people can arrive from anywhere here and we can't cross the border by car, empty our mail box, get gas and some groceries and come home in less than two hours without having to test.  And yes, we're triple vaccinated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ehogan said:

“As of Feb. 28, a negative rapid antigen or PCR test results will be accepted to meet entry requirements. These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work.”

Does this mean no Switch tests?

The switch health antigen test approved for US travel qualify as the test is proctored. One uses a phone or other camera equipped internet connected device so the test can be monitored.

46 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

So, so disappointed in today's relaxation? of the rules.  I don't see why international people can arrive from anywhere here and we can't cross the border by car, empty our mail box, get gas and some groceries and come home in less than two hours without having to test.  And yes, we're triple vaccinated.

I think that's going to change in the next announcement (cross the border and back within 3 days, no testing required).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hockeyluver said:

Antigen test will be required withing 24 hours of travel back to Canada.   AND  the downgrade in travel advisory is great,  it now means our insurance will cover everything. 🙂 

It’s still to be determined what they are doing with the cruise advisory. It falls outside the level 3 down to level 2 travel advisory. 

16 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

We are expected to have 2 tests per person?   We ordered 2 packs for our family of four.  

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

We are expected to have 2 tests per person?   We ordered 2 packs for our family of four.  

Technically yes.  They say each box with two tests is for one person.  Because there is a chance that one of the tests will not work.  So I guess it depends on your risk aversion whether you buy two boxes for 4 people or 4 boxes for 4 people.  I'm a prepare-for-the-worst type person so if I was buying switch tests I would buy 3 boxes to have a couple of extras just in case.

I'm also wondering if they have codes and won't allow the two tests used on 2 different people.  Anyone use switch tests and shared a box that could let us know?

4 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Technically yes.  They say each box with two tests is for one person.  Because there is a chance that one of the tests will not work.  So I guess it depends on your risk aversion whether you buy two boxes for 4 people or 4 boxes for 4 people.  I'm a prepare-for-the-worst type person so if I was buying switch tests I would buy 3 boxes to have a couple of extras just in case.

I'm also wondering if they have codes and won't allow the two tests used on 2 different people.  Anyone use switch tests and shared a box that could let us know?

Thanks for the quick reply.  Maybe we should order more then.

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the quick reply.  Maybe we should order more then.

This was the response I received when I asked if I could use one test from the kit and my child the other test from the kit. Or if we had to each purchase a kit. 

Hello,

You can both use a test from the same package. Each test comes with a separate QR code.

Thank you,

Switch Health

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

This was the response I received when I asked if I could use one test from the kit and my child the other test from the kit. Or if we had to each purchase a kit. 

Hello,

You can both use a test from the same package. Each test comes with a separate QR code.

Thank you,

Switch Health

Thanks so much for reporting back.

I can 100% confirm there is no issue with using one box of 2 tests for 2 individuals.  I had one box containing 2 tests, and used one for myself and one for my wife (we had a SDM test booked as a backup) and there was zero issues.  

The bloody stickers are SO easy to tear.  Thankfully there are backup stickers in each box (2 for each test).  

• Like 1

I agree with the fact that the stickers are very fragile and hard it’s hard to avoid damaging them. We were very thankful that there were 2 backup stickers in the box as we tore two of them before we got the hang of it. That was the hardest part of the whole test! We used one box between the two of us, the agent did both tests on the same call. In fact she asked to see my test strip after she did my DH’s test. She pronounced it unofficially negative. I would definitely use Switch Rapid Antigen tests for the next trip, but I will be packing 2 boxes(4 tests) for peace of mind. 

Well, a few days prior to the announcement we ordered and received our Switch Lamp tests for our end of March return.  

I'm still glad we have them as we are not relying on testing in Ft. Lauderdale.  Given the constant changes to rules, it would be just our luck that Princess would stop offering post cruise testing, or testing near the port would be reduced etc etc.    We will take these tests and have them, and decide which ones to use once the day arrives.  

My big question is What Are the Rules if the Test is Positive????? 

Do we still have to quarantine for 11 days outside of Canada before we are permitted to return (with out paying the huge fine)? 

THAT is the only thing that is a significant change in the policy, imho. 

Edited by CruisinFinsUp