Clam Shells - HMC

starstruck05

We are going on our first cruise since the pandemic finally in April on the Dream going to Half Moon Cay. I discovered that there are no beach umbrellas on. I see Clam Shells available to be rented. A cabana would be too expensive just for the two of us. The reviews on the clam shells are horrible however. Anyone have any recent experience with getting one? My mom is disabled so we plan to be closer to the dock as possible. Any tips would be very welcomed!

DH and I always rent a clamshell when we go to Half Moon Cay (all Holland America cruises). It is a cheap way to get some shade on the beach if you want it. Or, you can put the loungers outside of it. There is a staff person on the beach to take you to one. I haven't read the reviews, but I can't imagine why they would be horrible. With a disabled person you might want to ask the staffer to get one close to where the beach starts as it is difficult to walk in the sand if disabled.

We always rent a clamshell when we go to HMC.  It's a good price and provides a lot of shade and personal space.  Some people say that you can walk on down the beach and find shade and I am sure that's true, but we prefer to just rent a clamshell.  For us, it's money well spent.  

The last time we were there, we rented from a hut near the lockers.  Then we were able to choose the clam shell.

1 minute ago, Djptcp said:

DH and I always rent a clamshell when we go to Half Moon Cay (all Holland America cruises). It is a cheap way to get some shade on the beach if you want it. Or, you can put the loungers outside of it. There is a staff person on the beach to take you to one. I haven't read the reviews, but I can't imagine why they would be horrible. With a disabled person you might want to ask the staffer to get one close to where the beach starts as it is difficult to walk in the sand if disabled.

I rented one and I think the complaints were they are close together and if you don't get there early you may have a hard time finding one or someone to help you. 

We rented a clamshell while there last September.  The clamshell itself was perfectly fine, it was nice to be able to relax and have some shade. 

The problem, especially for someone with mobility issues, is that unless you get there early you're going to have to walk A LONG WAY down the beach to get a vacant one.  Priority on the tender was given to guests who had excursions, and clamshell rental wasn't considered an excursion.  HOWEVER, once I rented a clamshell online I was prevented from signing up for an excursion.  I don't know if there's a way around that, possibly sign up for an excursion once on the ship.  Or maybe see if guests with mobility issues get priority on the tender.

We did an excursion and had no trouble finding an available clamshell after. It was near a lifeguard and relatively close to the food at lunchtime. If your mom is disabled, I don't think she will want to walk further down the beach for possibly free shade. 

2 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Thanks for the responses! I think we will get it and see what happens and where we end up on the beach.

I'll be there before you, I'll let you know how it goes for us too. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

We are going on our first cruise since the pandemic finally in April on the Dream going to Half Moon Cay. I discovered that there are no beach umbrellas on. I see Clam Shells available to be rented. A cabana would be too expensive just for the two of us. The reviews on the clam shells are horrible however. Anyone have any recent experience with getting one? My mom is disabled so we plan to be closer to the dock as possible. Any tips would be very welcomed!

Do whatever you feel is best--but we have routinely brought a collapsible beach umbrella (cheap) which is pretty light and easy to pack. Makes it alot easier to pick your own spots, and not be in a clamshell which gets SUPER hot in the weather conditions there.