Issues with CVS for Rapid testing

DaveOKC

I have been trying to book a Rapid Covid test for our cruise with CVS and are having trouble booking ahead of time (other than today).  We used them in Dec and booking was easy for up to two weeks ahead.  I know this likely varies by area, but has anyone else had this issue - is it something new for CVS?

17 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I have been trying to book a Rapid Covid test for our cruise with CVS and are having trouble booking ahead of time (other than today).  We used them in Dec and booking was easy for up to two weeks ahead.  I know this likely varies by area, but has anyone else had this issue - is it something new for CVS?

I just checked our CVS and they are booking two weeks out.  Also, had open appointments for this afternoon and every day for next two weeks.  

Our CVS is accepting reservations only on the current day.  Not a problem as the volume of testing is down so much they have a dozen or more appointments open even when I check at 9 AM (have done so for the last 5 days to make sure).  If I was worried about getting in, I'd set the alarm and log on at 5 AM or so.  We're doing our anitgen test on Friday and will be booking around 8 AM for a 2 or 3 PM test that day.

We've seen CVS changing their reservation policy at several locations, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Another option are the proctored home tests.  They cost a little bit, but on our most recent cruise I didn't want to take a chance on getting a same-day appointment at CVS and chose to go this route.

https://store.optum.com/shop/category/tests-devices/covid-19-home-tests/

• Like 1

Groundloop, are the proctored tests idiot/goof proof? Going to do ours on Monday & was wondering if we had a screw up would HAL administer tests at the port. I read a lot of info with directions. Just hoping for good results.

9 hours ago, WFBgal said:

Groundloop, are the proctored tests idiot/goof proof? Going to do ours on Monday & was wondering if we had a screw up would HAL administer tests at the port. I read a lot of info with directions. Just hoping for good results.

Well nothing is idiot proof. They make better idiots all the time. However, this idiot has managed to take a few without screwing up, and even walking my wife through them a few times. The proctor will talk you through it via their script, watching a video a few times helps. If you are in the US, order your 4 free ones (won't help by monday, just noticed) or grab a few home tests covered by insurance at your local drug store (medicare may not cover yet), you can use one of those as practice as they are the same, just not proctored. 

• Thanks 1

The zip code for the B Street Pier (where most cruise ships dock in San Diego) is 92101.  If you use that zip code when searching for a CVS rapid antigen test in San Diego https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/?icid=cvs-home-hero1-link4-in-person-covid-testing, you'll see your options.

As of today (2/17) it looks like the closest CVS to the pier to get a rapid test is 5644 Mission Center Rd, about 6 miles away.  It appears they're booked up until 2/21, but they are booking 13 days out & there are a lot of open appointment times.

Since fall, this particular CVS is the closest one I've seen to the pier that does the rapid test.  Have used it for a couple of cruises so far.

On Jan 30th on the Zuiderdam we arrived at the port and they tested us before we could walk on the ship. Surprise for sure no one told us they would be testing us, wish I hadn’t spent $183.00 for the binax tests we did the day before ( we brought extras in case we screwed up), so they do have the tests at the port.   Good luck

On 2/16/2022 at 11:33 PM, WFBgal said:

There is a potential pitfall that's explained in another thread: "Glitch in new version of Abbott/emed kits." You might want to read that to hopefully dodge any problem.

Edited by jhannah