Carnival Document of Recovery - Have you had to use it?

jediyoda9008

I know Carnival just updated their policy to include the document of recovery as an option within the past couple of weeks, but has anyone used that process yet? Please share your experience. I am booked to cruise on March 5th and tested positive for Covid back on Monday. Making plans for if I am still testing positive closer to cruise time.

For anyone that has used the Document of Recovery to be able to sail, what did the secondary screening include? I know the policy says permission to board will be a case by case situation; I wonder what could cause a denial of boarding still if I have all required paperwork and am not showing symptoms (no fever, etc.). 

21 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I have one but will only use it if my at home antigen test tomorrow is positive. I'd rather not use it because it involves the extra step of being screened by medical at the port.

I completely understand that, fingers crossed your at home test comes back negative! If you do end up having to use the document of recovery, please come back by and let me know the process and how it went! 

• Like 1

I can't see what could cause them to deny boarding if you have no signs or symptoms. I'd like to know what's involved in the secondary screening as I'll be going to the doctor next week to get a letter for my cruise on the 28th due to a positive test last week. I have no symptoms and feel fine. 

5 minutes ago, jediyoda9008 said:

I completely understand that, fingers crossed your at home test comes back negative! If you do end up having to use the document of recovery, please come back by and let me know the process and how it went! 

Definitely. I've taken antigen tests since having COVID and they were negative.

2 hours ago, Rudyard said:

I can't see what could cause them to deny boarding if you have no signs or symptoms. I'd like to know what's involved in the secondary screening as I'll be going to the doctor next week to get a letter for my cruise on the 28th due to a positive test last week. I have no symptoms and feel fine. 

That's what I'm thinking, if I have all my documentation and I have no symptoms, they SHOULDN'T deny boarding, but the way the policy is worded makes me nervous if that is the route I have to go. I'd be out 1 night's hotel room plus airfare to Miami so I'm just trying to think through all possible scenarios. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, testing positive on a rapid test well after infection is relatively rare.  I'd get your documents in order, and take a home test a little early just so you know what to expect.  Odds are you'll test negative, but you'll have your docs all ready as backup.

If you are one of the unlucky souls who does keep trading positive, I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you.  I don't think I've read any first hand accounts of the process yet.

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I have one but will only use it if my at home antigen test tomorrow is positive. I'd rather not use it because it involves the extra step of being screened by medical at the port.

Given the fact that you have already tested negative, you should be fine. But keep in mind that the document of recovery is in place of testing, it doesn’t negate a positive test. I believe at check in, they ask if you have tested positive in the last 10 days. If the answer is yes, you will be denied boarding.

41 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Given the fact that you have already tested negative, you should be fine. But keep in mind that the document of recovery is in place of testing, it doesn’t negate a positive test. I believe at check in, they ask if you have tested positive in the last 10 days. If the answer is yes, you will be denied boarding.

That would definitely torpedo my plan.