Quest Diagnostics - PCR test

I did a search prior and didn't have much luck.  Can anyone that used Quest Diagnostics pre-cruise let me know your experience?  I have my 11 year old unvaccinated son scheduled for a PCR test Thursday 3/3 for a Sunday 3/6 cruise.  Obviously timing wise that stresses me out...My husband and I are vaccinated and using the at home test.   Quest shows 1-2 days for results.  I don't like not being in control of my vacation and worry we will get to Galveston without results.  I don't like this variable and am wondering why I did this to myself, lol.  I had said we wouldn't cruise until this was over with but my friends wanted us to join them.  

4 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

I did a search prior and didn't have much luck.  Can anyone that used Quest Diagnostics pre-cruise let me know your experience?  I have my 11 year old unvaccinated son scheduled for a PCR test Thursday 3/3 for a Sunday 3/6 cruise.  Obviously timing wise that stresses me out...My husband and I are vaccinated and using the at home test.   Quest shows 1-2 days for results.  I don't like not being in control of my vacation and worry we will get to Galveston without results.  I don't like this variable and am wondering why I did this to myself, lol.  I had said we wouldn't cruise until this was over with but my friends wanted us to join them.  

Can you find a rapid PCR test, results in 5 hours. Assuming Royal will accept a rapid pcr for kids. 

17 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Rapid PCR is not Antigen. 

Correct, needs to be a Lab Test.  I have just scheduled another test for CVS, obviously I will only take him for one but I want to have options until I hear more about people's experience with this.

thanks!

3 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

Correct, needs to be a Lab Test.  I have just scheduled another test for CVS, obviously I will only take him for one but I want to have options until I hear more about people's experience with this.

thanks!

I'd be so nervous about it not coming back that I'd have him tested at two places and hope at least one comes through in time.

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

PCR tests should be coming back much quicker now that Omicron is on its way out

Nature of the tests and need for labs means they'll still take a day or so for some areas.  Doubt you can get results from  a PCR lab test inside an hour or two.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Nature of the tests and need for labs means they'll still take a day or so for some areas.  Doubt you can get results from  a PCR lab test inside an hour or two.

A rapid PCR and a NAAT (like Walgreens offers) would satisfy the unvaccinated requirement.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

A rapid PCR and a NAAT (like Walgreens offers) would satisfy the unvaccinated requirement.

Good to know for the OP.  Hope she reads it. 

Me, I'm vaxed and booster and have had Omicron.  Rapid antigen is all I can do now

• Like 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

That's my general rule. If you don't explicitly need a PCR test, never take a PCR test.

My son had Covid October 2020 and again January 2022.  I wish we could take the Rapid...the not having control of the results is making me crazy.  

1 hour ago, tkportersat said:

Bear in mind that they changed the testing requirement from 3 days prior to 2 days prior.  If you leave Sunday, the earliest you can test is Friday and not Thursday. 

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Bear in mind that they changed the testing requirement from 3 days prior to 2 days prior.  If you leave Sunday, the earliest you can test is Friday and not Thursday. 

That is for vaccinated, it is 3 for unvaccinated.  

34 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

My son had Covid October 2020 and again January 2022.  I wish we could take the Rapid...the not having control of the results is making me crazy.  

Is this the same son who is cruising?  Does he fall under the 90-day post-COVID program, where you get a medical professional to testament he is medically clear? - And do they do that with Royal? (Apparently, you can still test positive for about 3 months after having the viral infection.)

Hope someone can answer your question about Quest. 

Any other local lab that has a better turn around time?  We found one in my town that has the lab on the spot and got results back, guaranteed in one day.  

Best wishes!

9 minutes ago, alohayall said:

Is this the same son who is cruising?  Does he fall under the 90-day post-COVID program, where you get a medical professional to testament he is medically clear? - And do they do that with Royal? (Apparently, you can still test positive for about 3 months after having the viral infection.)

Any other local lab that has a better turn around time?  We found one in my town that has the lab on the spot and got results back, guaranteed in one day.  

Best wishes!

Yes, same son.  I have no idea about the 90 day post Covid program 😬

I think I am leaning more towards the CVS appointment.  thanks!

“  Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"

From:   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

As another poster mentioned, Royal Caribbean lumps NAAT tests and variou PCR test together and collectively just calls them all as  “PCR tests” (which causes more confusion, I think).  

Anyway, you might want to consider an NAAT test.  Walgreens offers a rapid NAAT test called IDNow.  It is typically done on site and results are typically back very quickly.  You could call and verify with Royal Caribbean’s customer service that this test will qualify for your unvaccinated family member and also print that FAQ page.  I do not travel with an unvaccinated person, but I have used the test myself.  Many vaccinated cruise critic posters use that test, too, so the whole gang could choose to go to Walgreens.

• Like 1

If you are actually going into a quest lab it may be faster then CVS as CVS has to send them out to a lab like quest.  I had a recent PCR for work by a hospital and because it was sent immediately to the lab the result was 6 hours later.  Hopefully you’ll get yours within 2 days although near a weekend it may hold it up. Good luck!

This whole testing thing stresses me out, getting a last minute positive after you’re all ready to go is keeping me awake at night.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alohayall said:

Best wishes!

Royal does not accept a note from a doctor based on having covid within 90 days.  You MUST have a negative test.

• Like 1