Masks Not Required in Most Areas Beginning March 1

JT1962

My husband will be glad to say goodbye to the masks - he is a safety professional and is on the side of - cheap disposables and simple cloth masks are not doing enough good to matter - plus he is very uncomfortable wearing them, though he complies without making a scene as needed.

For me, the stress of the negative test 2 days before departure is a bigger hassle, though it went fine for our Legend cruise (last week before the SHTF over the NYE week on a buncha ships). We used that Center for Covid Control / Doctor's Clinical Lab that is now shut down and in big trouble for its many shoddy practices, some of which we experienced but in the end we got the documentation we needed from them. 

I understand the potential benefit of negative tests but it's a tight turnaround, especially since we, like many, have to spend the day before the cruise traveling to the port area, as well as yet another potential expense, and I am sure it will apply to our upcoming April cruise on Vista. At least masks are cheap and we have a big pile of cloth / launderable ones now.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cruise_gal21 said:

So does this actually mean that I don’t need that exemption I submitted for my 1yo daughter now? No more waiting on pins and needles wondering if we’re going to cruise in 5 weeks? I can finally tell my oldest kiddo that we’re going on a cruise without fear that we will be denied due to no exemption? Just double checking I’ve read this correctly. TIA!

You still need exemptions only if not vaccinated and over 5 after March 1st. 

BF67CCDA-013B-45DB-B6C5-FB7AE349D0FA.png

Edited by jlabs03

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

As expected, Carnival will continue to follow CDC guidance.

Following CDC Guidance became a lot easier once the CDC quietly changed their Operations Manual for cruise ships on February 17th. Now it says Vaccination Standard of Excellence or Highly Vaccinated ships can do away with masks. Previously it was only Vaccination Standard of Excellence ships, which is a standard I view as unrealistic to attain.

Now it's a pretty easy decision for cruise lines to opt in, and 110 ships have done so.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

My husband will be glad to say goodbye to the masks - he is a safety professional and is on the side of - cheap disposables and simple cloth masks are not doing enough good to matter - plus he is very uncomfortable wearing them, though he complies without making a scene as needed.

For me, the stress of the negative test 2 days before departure is a bigger hassle, though it went fine for our Legend cruise (last week before the SHTF over the NYE week on a buncha ships). We used that Center for Covid Control / Doctor's Clinical Lab that is now shut down and in big trouble for its many shoddy practices, some of which we experienced but in the end we got the documentation we needed from them. 

I understand the potential benefit of negative tests but it's a tight turnaround, especially since we, like many, have to spend the day before the cruise traveling to the port area, as well as yet another potential expense, and I am sure it will apply to our upcoming April cruise on Vista. At least masks are cheap and we have a big pile of cloth / launderable ones now.

If you are vaccinated, the time is now 3 days before. there is another thread on this. 

Many people are ordering self test kits that are proctored online, myself included.  
it eliminates the need to find somewhere local to test and stress about time to get it back. And isn’t very expensive. 

• Like 2

Wow, so happy to see this! It looked like they were doubling down on masks with their February 12 update. It's too late for my May cruise (booked Norwegian on Monday) but glad to have more options in the future. Especially since I'd love to be able to drive an hour to Baltimore to jump on the Legend! I got a great deal on the Norwegian cruise and am happy to try another line so no regrets.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

So glad to hear! Best of both world...those that want to can wear...those that don't can abstain! To me that sounds like freedom of choice and what this country needs to get back to!!!

Hmmmmm....not sure thats 100% how it's going to be come March 1, at least that how I see it reading the Have Fun be Safe protocols on Carnivals website. A step in the right direction, but not yet 100% mask optional.

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Following CDC Guidance became a lot easier once the CDC quietly changed their Operations Manual for cruise ships on February 17th. Now it says Vaccination Standard of Excellence or Highly Vaccinated ships can do away with masks. Previously it was only Vaccination Standard of Excellence ships, which is a standard I view as unrealistic to attain.

Now it's a pretty easy decision for cruise lines to opt in, and 110 ships have done so.

This change made all of the difference in the world because there was no way for Carnival to meet the requirement when it meant people had to have boosters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

If you are vaccinated, the time is now 3 days before. there is another thread on this. 

Many people are ordering self test kits that are proctored online, myself included.  
it eliminates the need to find somewhere local to test and stress about time to get it back. And isn’t very expensive. 

Can you give me more info on this? We have lots of rapid tests here b/c our children get them free at school.    How do I do the test myself and show proof?

Well will probably mostly still be wearing a mask on my cruise Mar 5th as I am Canadian i still gotta get back into Canada after the cruise lol  you Americans can always just drive home.  But great news about testing now 3 days out vs the 1 day.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Carnival Cruise Line confirmed that it will participate in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated program for cruise ships operating in U.S. waters, and is advising guests of the following changes: 

Effective with cruises departing Mar. 1, masks on board will be recommended but not required. There may, however, be certain venues and events where masks will be required. 

• Carnival will continue to meet the standard of vaccinated cruises, but children under five years old will not be included in any vaccinated guest calculation, and thus will not be required to receive an exemption to sail. 

• Effective with cruises departing Mar. 1, some additional flexibility in pre-cruise testing requirements will become available. Please visit the Carnival Have Fun. Be Safe. web page for more information.

https://carnival-news.com/2022/02/18/carnival-cruise-line-will-participate-in-cdc-cruise-updates-provides-update-to-guests/

And vaccinated with boosters can test 3 days prior to cruise 

13 hours ago, travelplus said:

I got it does not make a difference for me as I wear my mask  without a problem but I am more afraid of the people on my cruise who will see this date and be like"Oh yea its March 1st whoop dee doo no mask indoors or at other venues' I sure hope that announcements will be made before and on March 1st about the continued mask wearing on this cruise.

So you are going to stop cruising now that mask mandates are lifted? What if the date was tomorrow? Would you have canceled your cruise because you are “afraid”?

1 minute ago, AandBmom said:

How does one get it "proctored"?  

Be sure the bottom corner of the box the test is in says 'RX ONLY.' Follow the instructions on the box exactly.

If the box says OTC in the corner, it's the wrong kind of test for cruising.

9 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

How does one get it "proctored"?  

These is a live video chat with a representative who will check id and report date and results accordingly.

Edited by famof4togo

30 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Hmmmmm....not sure thats 100% how it's going to be come March 1, at least that how I see it reading the Have Fun be Safe protocols on Carnivals website. A step in the right direction, but not yet 100% mask optional.

True...not 100% freedom of choice yet but I'll be happy with the 90% at this point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

These is a live video chat with a representative who will check id and report date and results accordingly.

Well that seems way easier than going somewhere to do it.   Is this a Carnival rep that I do it through?  How do I set that up?  I can't seem to get the info on their website. 

Sorry for all the questions..... I'm super overwhelmed with testing for cruise, getting back in to Canada, etc.