Alternative port to St Petersburg

Kevin79

If the situation in Ukrain gets worse which stops any visits to St Petersburg (Sanctions etc.) what alternative port could there be for MSC to chose in the Baltics? Currently doing Keil > Copenhagen > Helsinki > St Petersburg > Tallinn 

On 2/20/2022 at 6:33 PM, Kevin79 said:

That's the last port in the current itinerary.

Two days in Tallinn would be a good replacement for St. Petersburg.  Lots to see in this Russian port; but; I experienced an anti-American "feel" that I didn't feel in any of the Vietnam ports I visited many years after the Vietnam War.  There is much to experience in Tallinn.  Two days may not be enough to really do it all.  

The itinerary (Poesia) I had been watching already has all the "regular" ports and 2-days of St. Pete which seems incredibly unlikely for many reasons,  so @ChC idea of Oulu (Finland) is excellent and got me looking at Mariehamn (Finland island) or Saaremaa (Estonia island) or Kotka (Finland) or even Turku (Finland, would be a neat arrival through the archipelago).....would be fun atypical replacements (not sure if ships go to Oulu or Turku)....otherwise just looking at extra days on the existing itinerary as that is pretty much it in the Baltic and would then need to head into North Sea for Gothenburg or Oslo.  Anyhow, fun to think about replacement options but probably just add days to existing.

Edited by pghflyer

I sent a Twitter DM to MSC asking what was going to happen with St. Pete on summer 2022 itineraries, and they just told me to call-in for more information (which I bet they don't have).  St. Pete is a great port but I wouldn't enjoy it now with the tarnish of terrorism and blood that my money would be supporting.

• Like 2

Well:

First of its all: Thoughts and prayers for both the people of Ukraine and for the people of Russia (the war is from the owners of the war, not from the people in the streets...) for this sad moment in our global history...

That said; I believe that if both maritime and land safety conditions are not sat to be pretty much the usual ones, MSC, and all the others in the industry will just to cancel all their Baltic Sea schedules and most of the Nordic Sea for 2022, because most of those routes will directly or indirectly to cross either way Russian waters or international waters at Russian reach level . Maybe; they'll just to move some ships to some Germany to France cruises... Maybe....

Sad to see another setback limiting this wonderful industry that cruising is about!... Hope all of this to go ASAP.

8 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Well:

First of its all: Thoughts and prayers for both the people of Ukraine and for the people of Russia (the war is from the owners of the war, not from the people in the streets...) for this sad moment in our global history...

That said; I believe that if both maritime and land safety conditions are not sat to be pretty much the usual ones, MSC, and all the others in the industry will just to cancel all their Baltic Sea schedules and most of the Nordic Sea for 2022, because most of those routes will directly or indirectly to cross either way Russian waters or international waters at Russian reach level . Maybe; they'll just to move some ships to some Germany to France cruises... Maybe....

Sad to see another setback limiting this wonderful industry that cruising is about!... Hope all of this to go ASAP.

Please look at a map, the war is close to the Black Sea. It is closer to the East Med than to the Baltic Sea. And the North Sea is very far away.

14 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Please look at a map, the war is close to the Black Sea. It is closer to the East Med than to the Baltic Sea. And the North Sea is very far away.

1300 kms away - my black sea cruise is about to be re routed (Azamara) nothing from MSC re the Baltic Cruise and I have the following repositioner from Kiel to Genoa which won't be affected.   My belief is that the port of St Petersburg will be replaced.  Not because of fighting but because of sanctions on Russia.  And it has already been impossible to get a visa for Russia on either of my passports. (UK and Australia)

18 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

So what?  Putin's ordering this invasion are for two reasons:  Russia's historical need/requirement/desire to have a warm water port and Putin's desire to recreate the USSR.  Unfortunately for those cruisers looking forward to the congested, chaotic city of St. Petersburg, your visit will be delayed.