For those currently at sea: What's the "atmosphere" like?

Hutcha

Just got off Saturday and it was really only the buffet that they insisted on masks. But most people had a drink when they were inside otherwise. Usually from like 10pm you didn't see much of any guest wearing a mask - pretty much everyone had a drink and employees didn't care.

• Like 1

Just got off the Pearl yesterday and while most of us wore masks as required by the line NO ONE was enforcing if someone was not following the masking rules as far as I could see.  There were times I honestly forgot and my mask was on my arm and not my face and no one said a word.

• Like 2

I suspect we're heading into a sweet spot for the next couple months when masking policy has been relaxed but the ships are still at low passenger levels because people have been wary of booking.

We were on a cruise on another line in January and the reduced passenger count (about 30% capacity on our trip) led to a wonderful camaraderie between the passengers with each other as well as with the crew. It was really special and, despite masking still being in place, we had an excellent time because of it.

I suspect our May cruise on the Joy will be much closer to normal capacity levels but I I'm still hoping it's not back to being stuffed full of people. 

5 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Just got off the Pearl yesterday and while most of us wore masks as required by the line NO ONE was enforcing if someone was not following the masking rules as far as I could see.  There were times I honestly forgot and my mask was on my arm and not my face and no one said a word.

I also got off the Pearl yesterday and I agree there was no-one enforcing masking.  I kept mine on and I was often the only guest I saw wearing a mask.  

As an aside, I thought it was a really quiet cruise.  I doubt there were even 1000 guests on board.

We (party of 4) will be on Joy next month and we will still wear masks as per Bermuda protocols even though we will not be in or near Bermuda. 

Why? We need negative Covid test results to be able to fly back to Bermuda. 

Off the soap box ….

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

We (party of 4) will be on Joy next month and we will still wear masks as per Bermuda protocols even though we will not be in or near Bermuda. 

Why? We need negative Covid test results to be able to fly back to Bermuda. 

Off the soap box ….

Hiya. You're definitely not alone although you may rarely see other mask wearers walking around the ship because we're enjoying our balcony of avoiding crowded venue but we're on board. Those I've met are protecting themselves from bringing Covid back to elderly parent, unvaccinated infants, or vulnerable. At least sailing out of NY when masks were not required even strangers on elevators, were friendly and understanding seeing me in a mask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those sailings where masks are still required...

On the NY sailings that required masks (your YMMV depending on port and sailing), if you were sitting at an indoor bar, the bartenders did consistently ask guests to wear masks if you weren't actively drinking probably because of their close proximity to guests, and servers would remind guest when they passed by to take orders.

Mask compliance was 100%. I saw many times people immediately put on their mask at restaurants when they got up from the table. However... Some did not wear the mask properly and 99% wore a cloth or surgical mask, not a KN95/N95.

At locations where there was no crew in sight, no one will chase you down tell you to put your mask on. Passengers wore or didn't wear them in social gatherings depending on their own judgement and comfort.

Outdoors, no one will tell you to wear a mask unless it's at a crowded event or venue where social distance can't be maintained.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1