St Petersburg Russia

lux4me

Given that the UK, US & EU are seizing Russian assets, I'd be wary that Russia might retaliate and seize ships belonging to companies from those nations.  I think prudence being practiced by the cruise lines will have them stay very clear of Russian (or Russian claimed) waters. JMHO

• Like 2

Clearly, no Carnival PLC assets (including Princess, HAL, Costa, Cunard, P&O, AIDA, Seabourn, Carnival Lines) will enter Russian territorial waters for the foreseeable future. Santa Clarita certainly knows that by now. They are just trying to figure out how to tell their Enchanted Princess guests, of which I am one.

Also, Miami CCL HQ must be weighing in on this. I trust that Arnold Donald is very busy this morning.

Edited by NavArch64
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ReligBookFreak said:

I respectfully disagree strongly. There is a full-scale invasion occurring, with plans to expand into former Soviet Union countries. With war in the Baltic and Eastern Europe, Princess will cancel the Baltic cruises. In fact, Oceania just canceled all their Baltic cruises for 2022.

Alan

Oceania did not cancel all their Baltic cruises. 

"Due to the escalated situation between Russia and Ukraine, we have made the decision to alter itineraries and remove Russian and Ukrainian ports from our voyages for the remainder of the year. Our team is diligently working to confirm replacement ports and we will advise all impacted guests and travel advisors as soon as possible."

We were scheduled to go into the Black Sea and to Odessa on Oceania. Our sailing will need some major revisions if it is to go at all.

To me the big question is will the cruise lines, including CCL, allow people to cancel their cruises that no longer include Russian ports with no financial penalty, cash refunds of any actual payments made and with any FCDs or FCCs that had been applied have their expiration dates extended for a significant amount of time.

18 hours ago, guy44134 said:

We're on the May 15 Baltic sailing. What alternate ports might realistically be added if St. Petersburg (and Tallinn) are dropped?

We are on the same cruise and trying to decide what to do "just in case."

A few days ago, I thought Riga and Gdansk, but now I don't think so anymore. With US troops being added in Poland and Lithuania, and perhaps Estonia and Latvia as well, possibly under NATO command, this looks very dicey to me at this point. There are also rumors of Russian interest in expanding the enclave of Kaliningrad. That could bring US, NATO and Russian military forces into direct contact and conflict.

• Like 1

Just in .... Helsinki is in play ....

Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Friday that any attempt by Finland to join NATO would have “military and political repercussions.” The message was a direct threat to the Nordic country, which has steadfastly remained neutral for more than a century.

• Like 1

Just putting this out there but why would anyone Cruise lines or any individual want to stop , at a port or even near a port where the country has invaded a neighbouring country, are bombing this country, terrorizing the citizens who are all feared for their life and are trying to escape so they are not killed.

Does anyone think this is just a passing phase and all will be right with the world  in a week or so.

I absolutely love cruising but sometimes we need to see where are priorities lie.

I am sure the Cruise Lines will continue to review the situation and do what is in the best interest of their passengers,  and crew.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

A few days ago, I thought Riga and Gdansk, but now I don't think so anymore. With US troops being added in Poland and Lithuania, and perhaps Estonia and Latvia as well, possibly under NATO command, this looks very dicey to me at this point. There are also rumors of Russian interest in expanding the enclave of Kaliningrad. That could bring US, NATO and Russian military forces into direct contact and conflict.

With all due respect, I haven't seen any reports of "US troops being added in Poland and Lithuania".  What is your source for that statement? There is lots of mis/disinformation out there right now (from all media sources.).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

I now believe that no cruise ship should sail east of Copenhagen with US, UK or Canadian guests onboard until further notice.

If you look at a regional map, it is true that Helsinki and Tallin are uncomfortably close to Russia. If Putin does intend to reassemble the old USSR, Estonia will be on his list. I've been to both and didn't find either that interesting.

As far as Nynashamn, that seems like a safer bet. Time will tell.

When I did this cruise in  early May 2011, there were 12 cruise ships in St Petersburg. Looking at the schedule it's been  really light in April, and relatively light in May. Nothing has changed in the last few days on the schedule. https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/saint-petersburg-port-549 You still have to hit the SCHEDULE button to proceed.

With regard to alternate ports, some more stops in Norway would likely be easy to add. Belgium and the Netherlands aren't that far away.

What surprises is me is most of the shore excursions in St Petersburg have sold out in the last week, including the fast train to Moscow. I didn't buy that one, but it's still sold out. 

It would appear that Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius are in play ... I hope that Santa Clarita is reading these factual reports from Europe. "The safety and security of our guests is our highest priority" says Princess, as they should. Enchanted Princess should not sail east from Copenhagen until further notice, IMHO.  

I have been to St Petersburg, Helsinki and Tallin by cruise ship before. I have also traveled to Helsinki many times on business. I regret that as a guest on Enchanted Princess in June, I no doubt will not be going back this year. As are many of you booked on the ship in the coming months, I am curious as to where she will be calling. Like you, I would like Santa Clarita to get a move on here and figure it out. Then, let us know.

One more note ... I have a Pan American World Airways global map booklet dated June 1970 that shows the mainline routes around the world for PanAm. I found it, opened it to Europe, and saw that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, Belarus and Ukraine were not identified at all ... only the Soviet Union was labeled in the region. I am afraid that the Russian President wants a return to that map.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

Clearly, no Carnival PLC assets (including Princess, HAL, Costa, Cunard, P&O, AIDA, Seabourn, Carnival Lines) will enter Russian territorial waters for the foreseeable future. Santa Clarita certainly knows that by now. They are just trying to figure out how to tell their Enchanted Princess guests, of which I am one.

Also, Miami CCL HQ must be weighing in on this. I trust that Arnold Donald is very busy this morning.

I agree.  While sanctions are currently at a very high level, it will mean Carnival PLC will run the risk of running afoul of US Treasury regulations with the US dollar for any transactions.  It is a very serious risk that will financially impact their worldwide operations.  Carnival PLC will cut their losses. 

I am also on the May 26 sailing.  My guess is that they will sail the Baltics but change the ports and times.  They could do the Norwegian fjords before or after Oslo.

I received an email from my TA she forwarded from Princess about the Baltic cruise and sorry if it's a repeat, she just sent it to me.

We understand that you may have some concerns regarding your upcoming sailing given the evolving events with Ukraine and Russia.

We are closely monitoring the situation as the safety and security of our guests and team members are our highest priority. Should we amend any of our published itineraries, we will promptly advise booked guests and their travel advisors.

Please note that our contact centers will not have any additional information at this time. We appreciate your understanding and patience.

1 hour ago, NavArch64 said:

One more note ... I have a Pan American World Airways global map booklet dated June 1970 that shows the mainline routes around the world for PanAm. I found it, opened it to Europe, and saw that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, Belarus and Ukraine were not identified at all ... only the Soviet Union was labeled in the region. I am afraid that the Russian President wants a return to that map.

My son is a history teacher in Montana. When he started at a new school last year, the classroom globe was woefully out of date. He bought a new one "With one Germany and two Koreas!" Here's hoping he won't need to get a revised one any time soon. 

• Like 2

There is a substantial financial impact to Princess which would result from cancelling their Baltic Cruise, when compared to changing the itinerary.  I expect they will make substantial port changes before April 9, and that cruise clients will allow them some slack.   They are likely extremely busy these days.  After 2 years of COVID, I am willing to accept their best efforts in choosing alternative ports for this cruise.  St. Petersburg  does not deserve our tourism.  Putin be damned.

Edited by JacobZ06
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

It is being reported everywhere how this war is coming at the worst possible time for the cruise lines and their potential for profits.  The embargo's that are being set are causing most cruise lines to start altering their itineraries substantially in regards to the Baltic and Black Sea sailings......it sounds like many in here are finding these discussions highly informative in regards to their upcoming cruises.....

https://www.cruisehive.com/how-russias-invasion-of-ukraine-is-impacting-the-cruise-industry/66571

I am finding this discussion very informative.  Even if this cruise line has not yet announced changes, you have to think the "what ifs" for alternative plans.

• Like 4