Move-up or upgrade when boarding?

phoenix_dream

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I guess you could use that argument against the whole move-up bidding situation, although at least there people can clearly see what the minimum bids would be.  In fact, I think sometimes people are very naive and actually pay more for a move-up bid than if they had booked the higher category in the first place! 

That said, in these uncertain times according to reports Celebrity can and does move up people to higher level cabins sometimes for free and sometimes for less than the move-up minimum. The freebies tend to be situations to free up quarantine space, but not always.  Truthfully, it peeves me a bit to see people getting for free or bargain rates the same cabins I paid the full load for, but since it is happening I plan to take the chance that I can do it also.  I'm not looking for free, but I am interested to know if I were to pay to advance to a suite onboard, what perks do I get?  As this thread has veered off into should they or shouldn't they, I haven't gotten too much in the way of actual answers to my question (but thanks to those who have 🙂).

I would think most anything could be negotiated onboard for a price..IF they have excess availability. 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:36 AM, paulh84 said:

It all comes down to price integrity. If you can get a better upgrade deal onboard, why book the expensive cabin in the first place? Once that becomes normal behavior your original pricing is diminished. You have to sell the value of the higher priced cabin to maintain the price. Once discounting those prices is normal the higher pricing doesn't hold because the perceived value is gone. 

These are unusual times.  There is little likelihood of suites being available on board when times are normal.  When we cruised in Dec. it was about 50% capacity.  The suites showed sold out a couple of weeks before the cruise left, but people had to pass Covid tests.  Upon boarding, turned out a total of 3 sky suites ended up empty (positive Covid tests maybe?).  So the idea that upgrading on board is a given is not reasonable,  It's like upgrading at the airport to First Class.  Sure, you can do it for less money IF there are seats available.  

Edited by papaflamingo

On 2/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, wrk2cruise said:

The actual answer is it's the same as a MoveUp.  You get the amenities which come with the stateroom and keep whatever perks/OBC/CC points that you had from your original booking.  I think I answered that in post #2.

Yes, you did.  And thank you.  The thing is on Celebrity what happens on one ship, or when talking to one cust. serv. rep is not always the same as on another ship.  Wondering if everyone had the same experience as you did.

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yes, you did.  And thank you.  The thing is on Celebrity what happens on one ship, or when talking to one cust. serv. rep is not always the same as on another ship.  Wondering if everyone had the same experience as you did.

We were booked in an OV on Constellation, and both of our MoveUp bids were rejected.  When we arrived at the pier, we were told we got a complimentary upgrade to concierge class and were directed to the MDR for lunch.  We got all concierge class amenities.  Don't know about points, and don't care because we are already Elite Plus and will never attain Zenith category.  

On 2/22/2022 at 11:09 AM, canderson said:

In Jim's case, once aboard, they made him  an offer at more $ than if the cabin had been booked shoreside before boarding.  That's silly either way you cut it.  Had he actually been willing to take it at the shoreside price, they definitely would have been out the additional revenue at no loss of 'price integrity'.  Strange approach to 'revenue enhancement'.

Just to put it in perspective they wanted $5,000 per person to upgrade on board and the Max bid on the Move-up was $3,500 pp on a 7 day cruise.    I think I bid something like $2,800.     I was happy keeping my room.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

On 2/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Did the offer include all the perks with the cabin, or just the Retreat deck and lounge?

Actually wasn’t a part of our consideration due to the perks we were sailing with so we didn’t ask.

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

We were booked in an OV on Constellation, and both of our MoveUp bids were rejected.  When we arrived at the pier, we were told we got a complimentary upgrade to concierge class and were directed to the MDR for lunch.  We got all concierge class amenities.  Don't know about points, and don't care because we are already Elite Plus and will never attain Zenith category.  

Wow that was great for you!  I'm wondering if they wanted to keep some of those cabins available for potential crew quarantine.  Celebrity has not been known to be that generous as a rule.  In all of our 60+ Celebrity cruises we have never, ever been offered a complimentary upgrade.  

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wow that was great for you!  I'm wondering if they wanted to keep some of those cabins available for potential crew quarantine.  Celebrity has not been known to be that generous as a rule.  In all of our 60+ Celebrity cruises we have never, ever been offered a complimentary upgrade.  

It was a surprise to us also.  I was told they were moving all those staterooms for crew overflow/quarantine/social distance, yada, yada, yada.