New Panama Canal Cruise

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Our 2006 canal cruise was on Jewel.  Based on my previous comments regarding Enchantment, I would have to agree as well.

Grandeur would be a decent VC alternative, with 3 SR's and Chef's table, etc.  But as that is currently based in Barbados......

Not quite by april 3rd but in april grandeur is Galveston bound. My b2b2b2b on grandeur is out of Galveston. 

I'm so jealous ..I want to do this cruise so bad. 

53 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The one advantage of the smaller ships is that they would be within the Panamax size to be able to transit through the old, original locks. 

I know at this point since things have been redone, that bigger ships can go through all the way now.  That is what we prefer

28 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Our 2006 canal cruise was on Jewel.  Based on my previous comments regarding Enchantment, I would have to agree as well.

Grandeur would be a decent VC alternative, with 3 SR's and Chef's table, etc.  But as that is currently based in Barbados......

Yeah, would prefer a Radiance class which I know can go through there.

5 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I know at this point since things have been redone, that bigger ships can go through all the way now.  That is what we prefer

See the comments from @RobinMN a few posts back.  I was not aware of that, but apparently there are still limitations regarding ship height with the bridge that sill may restrict some of the larger ships?

I don't disagree with a larger ship preference - we like them as well.  I was just pointing out what we enjoyed on the Radiance class ship on our cruise.  

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not challenging as it is just my confusion, but the $100 change fee only applies to NRD bookings, correct?  I don't recall that with refundable deposit bookings.  And during the height of the pandemic with ongoing cancelations, etc., I believe they were waiving that for NRD bookings as well that were being moved forward to later bookings. 

That's correct:  it's NRD that have, and they can waive, the $100 change fee before final payment date, if you are moving to another cruise.  I think they are easing back into their less agreeable nickle 'n diming charges again. It's always wise to move a booking, not cancel it.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We went on our first Panama Canal cruise on the Vision in 1999.  At that time she was the largest ship that could actually fit through, and it was an amazing day going through the locks.  At one point you could step over the promenade deck railing and be on dry land.  Only, it didn't stay dry for long!  While we were going through the locks, Mother Nature put on a STUPENDOUS thunder, lightening, and rain show for us.  We just sat on the deck with our jaws dropped!!

• Like 2

I have always wanted to do the Panama Canal Cruise, we have sailed Enchantment before, but it was a 5 day cruise.  It was OK, but don't think I would want to be on that ship for 14 days.