MSC raised my fare $1800+ less than a month before sailing, told me to pay it??

mscdivina2016

I'm sailing on my 3rd cruise with MSC on the Seashore in may. They took my cxabin, and said they will assign 48 hours prior to sailing. We're in Aurea. This will be our last cruise with them. While we love the product on the ships, dealing with them isn't worth the effort.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:07 AM, Saab4444 said:

They are in and from Switzerland not Italy.

When I was on Divina and there were issues with our traveling companions, they were told that issues could not be handled onboard, and that it all needed to go through corporate offices in Italy. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but this is what they told people on my cruise, and apparently others have been told this as well. While they are registered in Switzerland, they do seem to have Italian offices. 

On 3/1/2022 at 6:23 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

Their offices are not at the port. They are in an office building in northwest Ft Lauderdale. You can get into the reception area but don't know what good it would do as I don't know if anyone would speak with you. There's a nice ship model to look at though. Lol.

That’s what I thought too. 

On 2/24/2022 at 9:55 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

They won't meet with you.  

I tried that this past December to try and resolve the Salsa cruise debacle.

They will tell you everything is handles overseas in Italy.

The address I posted isn’t for the port it’s for an office building. I would try it. 

When are you sailing?

7 minutes ago, Gatrcruzer said:

When I was on Divina and there were issues with our traveling companions, they were told that issues could not be handled onboard, and that it all needed to go through corporate offices in Italy. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but this is what they told people on my cruise, and apparently others have been told this as well. While they are registered in Switzerland, they do seem to have Italian offices. 

As of yesterday they said they cannot fix my pricing. 

I asked why a week before sailing I have not been notified of a balance owed, threatened with cancelation or any explanation.

This is going to turn into a crap show onboard.

I am forced to pay that money because of an error on their part.

From moment one at the tent I will be in ahole mode. They have an issue with that?? Send me an email, I will respond in 48-72 hours.

How can they not fix this when they have the pdf. Confirmation they sent me a year ago??

I should  start a new thread and get people's opinions on what to do once I arrive

10 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I asked why a week before sailing I have not been notified of a balance owed, threatened with cancelation or any explanation.

From moment one at the tent I will be in ahole mode. They have an issue with that?? Send me an email, I will respond in 48-72 hours.

How can they not fix this when they have the pdf. Confirmation they sent me a year ago??

I should  start a new thread and get people's opinions on what to do once I arrive

Have you been able to print your docs? 

I wouldn’t give them another penny because we all know you will never see that money again…even if they admit it was their error.

You’ll end up with another FCC. 

If it were me I would show up at the port with all of this printed out and if they refuse to let you board demand a refund. You have proof you are paid in full.
They can’t just change the price on you a couple of weeks before sailing after you’ve already made the full payment. 

If the price drops after final payment they don’t refund everyone the difference. It works both ways. 

Imagine if airlines did this?  

If you can’t board St Martin is a nice place to spend a vacation. 

18 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Have you been able to print your docs? 

I wouldn’t give them another penny because we all know you will never see that money again…even if they admit it was their error.

You’ll end up with another FCC. 

If it were me I would show up at the port with all of this printed out and if they refuse to let you board demand a refund. You have proof you are paid in full.
They can’t just change the price on you a couple of weeks before sailing after you’ve already made the full payment. 

If the price drops after final payment they don’t refund everyone the difference. It works both ways. 

Imagine if airlines did this?  

If you can’t board St Martin is a nice place to spend a vacation. 

Have no interest in spending 17 days in st.martin as I am b2b.

I would be out big dollars in first class airfare, pre cruise hotels and a limo.

I cannot print anything out.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:07 AM, Saab4444 said:

They are in and from Switzerland not Italy.

While the MSC tax relevant HQ is in Switzerland, it has been many times clarified that everything relevant for the consumer has to go through the MSC Cruises HQ in Napoli. 

7 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I don´t think there is someone from MSC on St. Martin that can make a $1800+ plus decision. 

Actually I don´t think there is someone from MSC in Fort Lauderdale that can make a $1800+ plus decision. 

I am cruising with MSC for 15 years or so and never got another answer than this: "We totally understand and support your case. We will send a request to Italy and then call you back with the result". Had this two times, the answer was two times a plain NO without any reason given. Presented to me with a lot of love and understanding from the local MSC office🤪

No matter which country and local MSC office. I never booked in Italy, that maybe would be the easiest way to get along with them😄

In your case you maybe have to make a rational decision not emotional. Pay them off and enjoy your holiday and fight for your money after coming back. 1800 from 6300 makes 28% "surcharge", sounds better to me than standing at a port in a foreign country with denied boarding. 

• Like 2

I can totally empathize and was in exactly the same situation as you (albeit for a few hundred $$).

I was "surcharged" after the cruise was paid off and only noticed it after logging onto the site to check on my booking; I alerted MSC right after (about a year from the sailing date in December '21), and they assured me that it will be taken care of and corrected. I called and emailed them every couple weeks, getting the same assurance every time.

My cruise was out of Barcelona, and of course I couldn't print my boarding documents because now it showed that balance was still owed (yes, I also had the pdf with "paid in full" from when I paid it in full).  After multiple calls now from Europe and their assurances that it will be corrected "tomorrow at the latest" for a week every day, I gave up and paid the balance 2 days prior to boarding in Barcelona.  I suspect this was the goal all along, although they could have been simply ignoring the requests if any were sent anywhere at all.  I hope the miracle happens for you and they make the corrections in time in your case, but sharing my experience just as an FYI.

Funny thing is I had another cruise cancelled and moved to a different ship for a similar itinerary - which I was fine with, however the new price was now updated to $1,600 more.  They assured me that it will be corrected of course, but for my convenience I should just pay the difference and they will give me the balance in onboard credit or refund it or something will happen at some point.  Maybe they now marked me as a sucker on my Voyagers Club profile and will be adding a few hundred $$$ here and there if I keep sailing with them.

Oh yeah, I also had another booking where I inquired if I could add the All-In promotion and how much extra it would be asking that they not change anything - the rep gave me a price double what the cruise sells as a new booking on the site.  I said no thanks, leave as is - but she said she already made changes and can't do anything else about it, but it's still a good deal and I should keep the new more expensive booking.  I asked how is it that this is now much more expensive than if I made a new booking and she flat out told me that it is probably the company policy as they already have my money but want better deals for new customers.  🤑

Oh yeah, all of these are FCC's, and prior to COVID cancellations, I only had minor annoyances with MSC (by minor I mean they actually fixed their errors after 5-10 calls and emails on my part).  Not saying that I will never sail with them again, but looking forward to taking a break and going with other lines for a bit once these FCC's are used up.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

😄your case you maybe have to make a rational decision not emotional. Pay them off and enjoy your holiday and fight for your money after coming back. 1800 from 6300 makes 28% "surcharge", sounds better to me than standing at a port in a foreign country with denied boarding. 

That is what Amex says. They are shocked as they can see the charges from last year.

If they make me do that, I will not be happy and I am one who will not let it go once I am on board and that's just my personality.

3 hours ago, Wor1dTrave11er said:

I can totally empathize and was in exactly the same situation as you (albeit for a few hundred $$).

I was "surcharged" after the cruise was paid off and only noticed it after logging onto the site to check on my booking; I alerted MSC right after (about a year from the sailing date in December '21), and they assured me that it will be taken care of and corrected. I called and emailed them every couple weeks, getting the same assurance every time.

My cruise was out of Barcelona, and of course I couldn't print my boarding documents because now it showed that balance was still owed (yes, I also had the pdf with "paid in full" from when I paid it in full).  After multiple calls now from Europe and their assurances that it will be corrected "tomorrow at the latest" for a week every day, I gave up and paid the balance 2 days prior to boarding in Barcelona.  I suspect this was the goal all along, although they could have been simply ignoring the requests if any were sent anywhere at all.  I hope the miracle happens for you and they make the corrections in time in your case, but sharing my experience just as an FYI.

Funny thing is I had another cruise cancelled and moved to a different ship for a similar itinerary - which I was fine with, however the new price was now updated to $1,600 more.  They assured me that it will be corrected of course, but for my convenience I should just pay the difference and they will give me the balance in onboard credit or refund it or something will happen at some point.  Maybe they now marked me as a sucker on my Voyagers Club profile and will be adding a few hundred $$$ here and there if I keep sailing with them.

Oh yeah, I also had another booking where I inquired if I could add the All-In promotion and how much extra it would be asking that they not change anything - the rep gave me a price double what the cruise sells as a new booking on the site.  I said no thanks, leave as is - but she said she already made changes and can't do anything else about it, but it's still a good deal and I should keep the new more expensive booking.  I asked how is it that this is now much more expensive than if I made a new booking and she flat out told me that it is probably the company policy as they already have my money but want better deals for new customers.  🤑

Oh yeah, all of these are FCC's, and prior to COVID cancellations, I only had minor annoyances with MSC (by minor I mean they actually fixed their errors after 5-10 calls and emails on my part).  Not saying that I will never sail with them again, but looking forward to taking a break and going with other lines for a bit once these FCC's are used up.

So you never got your "surcharge" back?

I will one way or another and I have no issue going to small claims. I live an hour and 15 from the court. I would spice it up and try and claim unfair and deceptive business practices. Triple damages!

As one with over 45 years extensive cruise experience (as a passenger) including a few cruises with MSC (YC) I would offer a suggestion.  Find yourself a decent high volume cruise agency and use them to book your cruises.  Not only will you get extra On Board Credit (you should shop around for the best deal) but you would not likely have any of these issues with payments and increases.  Having a travel professional working on your behalf can be very beneficial.    Dealing with MSC's Customer Service has driven many folks to drink (we prefer margaritas) so get yourself a pro to do the work and handle issues.

Hank

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

As one with over 45 years extensive cruise experience (as a passenger) including a few cruises with MSC (YC) I would offer a suggestion.  Find yourself a decent high volume cruise agency and use them to book your cruises.  Not only will you get extra On Board Credit (you should shop around for the best deal) but you would not likely have any of these issues with payments and increases.  Having a travel professional working on your behalf can be very beneficial.    Dealing with MSC's Customer Service has driven many folks to drink (we prefer margaritas) so get yourself a pro to do the work and handle issues.

Hank

HI Hank,

I too have 40+ years of extensive cruise experience and actually quit a few with MSC.

I used to use a TA from a large agency (....only and ....to go )and then another one and another one.  They all seemed to stop doing their job and I am one who books $50,000+ a year in travel.

On a specific cruise I may change my mind on category, I may spot a lower price, better perk deal and I would always want the change. I don't care if its $50.

Last 2 agencies (and current) will not even deal with MSC anymore. Especially after I was having an issue in Northern Europe on a 30 night cruise (b2b). They spent an hour on the phone with me from my cabin while trying to rectify things. MSC lost $1600 worth of OBC. Then they found the OBC but already put the charges thru for the 1st cruise and there was no way I would spend it on the 2nd so they needed to apply it to the 1st cruise first, credit the charge back and go forward.Their phone bill was really high. TA could not fix it. I had to book another cruise while on the ship to use it up.

By dealing with cruise lines direct, I get everything done my way on my time and I have a greater period that the cruise line is open versus the TA.

MSC is the absolute toilet as far as IT and customer service. 100% chance we will be in court after I get back because they won't be able to fix 2 issues. I learned my first crack at them how they work, this next time they are going to lose!

The issue is first the $1800+ magic charge, but there is already a pricing error of another $1000 that they were going to fix that they did not. If they did not pull this $1800+ error I would have missed the $1000 other error. At least I have MSC existing reservations stating they made an error in writing,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

HI Hank,

I too have 40+ years of extensive cruise experience and actually quit a few with MSC.

I used to use a TA from a large agency (....only and ....to go )and then another one and another one.  They all seemed to stop doing their job and I am one who books $50,000+ a year in travel.

On a specific cruise I may change my mind on category, I may spot a lower price, better perk deal and I would always want the change. I don't care if its $50.

Last 2 agencies (and current) will not even deal with MSC anymore. Especially after I was having an issue in Northern Europe on a 30 night cruise (b2b). They spent an hour on the phone with me from my cabin while trying to rectify things. MSC lost $1600 worth of OBC. Then they found the OBC but already put the charges thru for the 1st cruise and there was no way I would spend it on the 2nd so they needed to apply it to the 1st cruise first, credit the charge back and go forward.Their phone bill was really high. TA could not fix it. I had to book another cruise while on the ship to use it up.

By dealing with cruise lines direct, I get everything done my way on my time and I have a greater period that the cruise line is open versus the TA.

MSC is the absolute toilet as far as IT and customer service. 100% chance we will be in court after I get back because they won't be able to fix 2 issues. I learned my first crack at them how they work, this next time they are going to lose!

The issue is first the $1800+ magic charge, but there is already a pricing error of another $1000 that they were going to fix that they did not. If they did not pull this $1800+ error I would have missed the $1000 other error. At least I have MSC existing reservations stating they made an error in writing,

I think many have tales of MSC and yet some of us still enjoy the line from time to time.  I do agree that their customer service (in the USA) is probably the worst in the cruise industry.  Our favorite cruise agent says she has figured out how to deal with MSC but she will not tell her secret :).

Hank

On 3/5/2022 at 4:39 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

So, here is my take on MSC: they have beautiful ships, comfortable rooms, good entertainment and kids club, and the crew are lovely. The food - well, it can be hit or miss, but I really like their pizza. And if everything goes right for you along the way, you can have an excellent cruise at great value. However, sometimes you are unlucky, and something that is totally not your fault happens that is a screw up on their end, or the website's end, or the people in customer service screw up and give faulty information. What happens then is that things are not taken care of and it can mean a lot of stress and misery which can totally ruin your experience. Customer service under these circumstances is NOT good at all on MSC, either on or off the ship, but once you are on the ship they will do nothing for you because everything must go through their corporate offices in Italy. At least before you board you have some recourse. Exhibit A of what can happen with MSC is mscdivina2016 who has been dealing with a terrible situation. Just want you to know that I see you and have been following along, mscdivina2016! I am sorry you are going through this and am hoping to hear better news soon. I know you don't want to do this, but cancel the cruise and rebook. I know, you have flights, etc., but how the heck are you going to enjoy your cruise under these circumstances??? You are going to be angry and miserable the whole time. Hang in there friend, and hope you come to a good resolution. Unfortunately, what mscdivina2016 is dealing with is not so unusual - I have read of multiple folks being assigned different cabins, having their cruises canceled without notice, charged incorrectly, etc. On the last MSC cruise we went on (which, ironically was the Divina in 2016) we had a great traveling experience but our companions had a screw up that ruined things for them. This is how it goes. There is a bit of a risk in traveling on this line, more so than any of the other lines I have traveled, and like mscdivina2016 I have been cruising for nearly 40 years and on many different lines (some of them don't even exist anymore). 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 8:22 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

If they make me do that, I will not be happy and I am one who will not let it go once I am on board and that's just my personality.

Well, your enemy sits in Napoli thousands of kilometers away. Apart from the captain problably no staff on board the ship or at the port has the financial capabilities to solve this problem for you. And the captain will not care about, thats for sure😄

Better enjoy and save the fighting spirit for the court action, that would be my way. But you certainly know best what is best for your state of mind. 

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Gatrcruzer said:

I know you don't want to do this, but cancel the cruise and rebook. I know, you have flights, etc., but how the heck are you going to enjoy your cruise under these circumstances??? You are going to be angry and miserable the whole time.

We start traveling in 3 days and will not have any time till March of 2023. We are actually booked solid and will only be back home less than a week on 4 occasions the rest of this year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

Well, your enemy sits in Napoli thousands of kilometers away. Apart from the captain problably no staff on board the ship or at the port has the financial capabilities to solve this problem for you. And the captain will not care about, thats for sure😄

Better enjoy and save the fighting spirit for the court action, that would be my way. But you certainly know best what is best for your state of mind. 

There is a good chance I have a FDUTPA action for the overcharge, not once but twice in the same cruise and a well documented paper trail at my attempts to get it corrected since January of 2021.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gatrcruzer said:

So, here is my take on MSC: they have beautiful ships, comfortable rooms, good entertainment and kids club, and the crew are lovely. The food - well, it can be hit or miss, but I really like their pizza. And if everything goes right for you along the way, you can have an excellent cruise at great value. However, sometimes you are unlucky, and something that is totally not your fault happens that is a screw up on their end, or the website's end, or the people in customer service screw up and give faulty information.

This is exactly the point. What I have learnt is to keep things simple with them. This lesson costed me only 10 or 15 Euro when I bought 100 Euro "future cruise credit" on board for my next cruise with them. Certainly they did not accept and did not give me the credit. Why? I made a booking from the "Last Minute" section. But on the voucher was written "Valid for .... Last Minute". So why not? Typical MSC answer from Italy "Yes, the voucher is totally valid for "Last Minute" bookings. But not for "Last Minute" bookings from this Last Minute section on the web site. 

Lots of complaints about this "future cruise credit" vouchers, one year later the stopped it. Yes, was only 10 or 15 Euro, but since then I am sure that I will not accept any "credit" refund for my next booking, no matter how wonderful and easy and friendly the conditions are. I book my cruise, I pay it full, I don´t want to have anything to do with them before I board. 

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think many have tales of MSC and yet some of us still enjoy the line from time to time.  I do agree that their customer service (in the USA) is probably the worst in the cruise industry.  Our favorite cruise agent says she has figured out how to deal with MSC but she will not tell her secret :).

Hank

She must have pictures or video.  We have high volume TA and MSC even had visit from MSC around six years ago to 'improve things'.  Nothing ever improved.  Maybe they should just close the Florida office.

On 3/6/2022 at 4:27 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

So you never got your "surcharge" back?

I will one way or another and I have no issue going to small claims. I live an hour and 15 from the court. I would spice it up and try and claim unfair and deceptive business practices. Triple damages!

If you are referring to your next cruise out of St. Marten, you are out of luck

Only cruises leaving from a US port fall under the jurisdiction of a court in Ft Lauderdale.

All others are in a Naples, Italy court.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

There is a good chance I have a FDUTPA action for the overcharge, not once but twice in the same cruise and a well documented paper trail at my attempts to get it corrected since January of 2021.

My one concern is that your well documented trail may not matter if you pay the extra $1800 

By paying the extra $$ you are in essence agreeing that you owe it. 

I know $1800 is a lot of money for a lot of people but in the grand scheme of things and for your own peace and enjoyment I think I would let it go.
Sounds like you are going to pay it, so do it and go have fun and don’t waste any more energy worrying about it. 

I seriously doubt you will ever get that money back. 

They just got me for $209.00 extra for a Carib. cruise, I'm just tired of dealing with them, and paid it. Never again on MSC. They lost a good customer that actually loved the product. Just tired of the B.S. with customer service. My wife is mad at me, but I'm the one talking with these people.

• Thanks 1