"Diamond" Upgrade Cabin

MikeyB

Hi, I need help from this board.

I am Diamond level in Latitudes.  Please don't hate me.

The new benefit gives me a one time upgrade in cabin category-

Does that get me a cabin upgrade from balcony to a mini suite or is it just, for example, going from a BF to a BA?

Thanks for your help. 

The upgrade must be claimed within 12 months from the date you qualify as a Diamond member.  It may be used for a cruise which sails more than 12 months after your qualifying date.  It allows you a one category increase, i.e. Inside to OV, OV to Balcony, or Balcony to Club Balcony (formerly called Mini Suite).  Upgrades to regular Suites or the Haven are not permitted.  It can be used on any length of cruise, but there may be some restrictions on popular dates such as holiday cruises.  It obviously is subject to availability.  Several Diamond members have reported on another CC thread of having success in specifying a particular cabin or range of cabins to which they would prefer being upgraded, and having their request honored by NCL.  I used my Diamond upgrade on the first day the program was available.  The NCL representative was wholly unfamiliar with the new perks, but managed to contact someone in the Latitudes Services Department for assistance.  I got exactly the cabin I wanted and received an email confirmation within 24 hours.

38 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

The NCL representative was wholly unfamiliar with the new perks, but managed to contact someone in the Latitudes Services Department for assistance.  I got exactly the cabin I wanted and received an email confirmation within 24 hours.

Thank you all for the replies.

One other question-

If both passengers on the upgrade sailing are Diamond, are we also entitled to a second upgrade cruise for the other Diamond member?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Hi, I need help from this board.

I am Diamond level in Latitudes.  Please don't hate me.

The new benefit gives me a one time upgrade in cabin category-

Does that get me a cabin upgrade from balcony to a mini suite or is it just, for example, going from a BF to a BA?

Thanks for your help. 

Why would someone hate you? 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustymom said:

I booked a B6 (large balcony). When I asked about the upgrade, it would go to a regular club balcony which would be a down grade in cost. I chose to keep my large regular balcony.

I wondered about this.  It seems like a B6 should upgrade to a M6. 

Did you get through to someone directly in the 'upgrade' department?  If not, it might be worthwhile to ask again.  It doesn't hurt to ask again.

The first person I talked to was NOT helpful about our Diamond upgrade..  A second phone call worked everything out successfully for us.  Also, in the other thread, someone listed the email address for the Latitudes department.  I was thinking of sending an email to them, but the 2nd phone call worked out.

4 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Upgrades to regular Suites or the Haven are not permitted. 

Any idea about  upgrading *within* Suites/Haven?  

that seems like an odd exclusion to me, I know a bunch of high level latitude members only sail in suites or haven.

at some point (we have a ways to go, we’re platinum), we’ll get there, I hope, but we almost exclusively sail in Haven/Suites.

would they really make us book a balcony so we can upgrade to a mini-suite, just so we can use the perk????

2 hours ago, Starflyr3 said:

Any idea about  upgrading *within* Suites/Haven?  

that seems like an odd exclusion to me, I know a bunch of high level latitude members only sail in suites or haven.

at some point (we have a ways to go, we’re platinum), we’ll get there, I hope, but we almost exclusively sail in Haven/Suites.

would they really make us book a balcony so we can upgrade to a mini-suite, just so we can use the perk????

Odd or not, it is an exclusion they have. There are no upgrades that include suites or haven, so if you want to use it then you will have to book a balcony at best to upgrade to club suite.

I suppose that the unknown is whether you can bid for upgrades after using the diamond upgrade. Assuming you can then it opens the option of booking a balcony, upgrading to mini suite and then the bid level will probably be lower, but it remains to be seen how well that would work, and of course it isn’t a guaranteed haven upgrade.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, casofilia said:

Up a level not up a grade within a level.

BUT BEWARE that you could get a "bum" cabin which you MUST take as the "upgrade" is irreversible.

I got an upgrade that I was not pleased with (from inside on deck 10 to oceanview porthole on deck 5), so I asked to have the upgrade cancelled. We are back in our original cabin on deck 10.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Starflyr3 said:

Unfortunately, yes.  The restrictions on the Diamond upgrade limit you to one level up, i.e. Inside to OV, with a maximum limit of an upgrade from Balcony to Club Suite.  As we say in Texas, "them's the rules."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

I got an upgrade that I was not pleased with (from inside on deck 10 to oceanview porthole on deck 5), so I asked to have the upgrade cancelled. We are back in our original cabin on deck 10.

48 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

What money are you talking about?

I may have misunderstood your earlier post.  Did you pay for an upgrade or use a Diamond perk?  Either way, when you cancelled the upgrade because the room was unsatisfactory, did NCL credit you for whatever it was that you offered in exchange, either money or your "one time" Diamond perk?

Edited by The Traveling Man

6 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I may have misunderstood your earlier post.  Did you pay for an upgrade or use a Diamond perk?  Either way, when you cancelled the upgrade because the room was unsatisfactory, did NCL credit you for whatever it was that you offered in exchange, either money or your "one time" Diamond perk?

As this thread is about upgrading through the Diamond perk that is what I was replying to. 🙂

I have no idea if I (or actually my husband) by refusing the upgrade did loose the perk "forever", as I haven't tried to use the upgrade on a different cruise instead. Did use my own Diamond upgrade on a different cruise where I am happy with the upgrade offered, and if the turn-down of the second upgrade means that we have lost it then I am fine with that as well. Still more happy with the original deck 10 inside cabin than the deck 5 portholw offered. ☺️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I wondered about this.  It seems like a B6 should upgrade to a M6. 

Did you get through to someone directly in the 'upgrade' department?  If not, it might be worthwhile to ask again.  It doesn't hurt to ask again.

The first person I talked to was NOT helpful about our Diamond upgrade..  A second phone call worked everything out successfully for us.  Also, in the other thread, someone listed the email address for the Latitudes department.  I was thinking of sending an email to them, but the 2nd phone call worked out.

I spoke with latitudes, my pcc, and the new number for the upgrade. I got the same answer each time. B6 does not go to M6, only MB. They did cancel my request so I can still use the upgrade for a cruise where I would book a regular balcony.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mustymom said:

I spoke with latitudes, my pcc, and the new number for the upgrade. I got the same answer each time. B6 does not go to M6, only MB. They did cancel my request so I can still use the upgrade for a cruise where I would book a regular balcony.

I guess I'm not surprised, but really....they should have given you a M6!

On some of the newest ships, if they upgrade you from a Balcony to the lowest Club Balcony (MC-MX) on deck 8 you can get one with a good sized balcony next to the M6s.   Before I called for our upgrade I checked to see if the two MC-MX cabins were available for that cruise.  I'm happy with how it worked out.