Dining Dress Code

adlb1300

Hi,

My family will be cruising on the NCL Breakaway out of New Orleans on 3/6. We are scheduled to do 2 speciality dining nights (Moderno and Teppanyaki). I know normally the attire for speciality dining is a little more formal than the complimentary restaurants. So my question is would my 18 year old be ok in closed toed black shoes, a nice pair of jeans and say a polo or button down shirt? Would a nice t-shirt be acceptable? They are not big on fancier clothes to begin with so trying to avoid buying clothes that will never be worn again but also would prefer not to pack a bunch of unneeded clothes just to find out jeans, shoes (figure sneakers may be pushing it) and nice tee with no design would have worked.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Definitely get away with casual in both of those restaurants, there is supposedly a dress code for Manhattan, le bistro and oceana but they‘re not massively strict even then. For an 18yr old they’re not going to be excessively strict, as long as he’s clean and not dressed for the pool/beach he should be fine. 

People should always check the dailies for their particular ship/cruise. There are differences between ships. For example, on some ships, all MDRs are "Cruise Casual". On some other ships, one MDR might be "Smart Casual". Specialty restaurants can be either so it's best to check to avoid problems. 

The website gives general information.....

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater - the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

For the OP, jeans can be worn in ANY NCL restaurant. A Polo and sneakers will be fine anywhere. A t-shirt will be fine in Moderno and Teppanyaki.

• Like 4

day of sailing is no dress code. shorts in le bistro wont get you kicked out. after that, even try to get in MDR in shorts and you walk the plank. also ive sat on the outside seating of ocean blue in shorts but unsure what nite i did that on. 

jeans ok everywhere. all access pass given with those. 

• Like 1

Just off the Escape 10 days ago and ate at both Teppanyaki and Moderno.  Travel Partner wore shorts and a polo in both.  With the other two men at our table in Teppanyaki, one wore jeans and a button down shirt and the other one a graphic tee, cargo shorts and sandals.  I wanted to go to Le Bistro but a button down shirt was not packed so we skipped that one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adlb1300 said:

So my question is would my 18 year old be ok in closed toed black shoes, a nice pair of jeans and say a polo or button down shirt? Would a nice t-shirt be acceptable? They are not big on fancier clothes to begin with so trying to avoid buying clothes that will never be worn again but also would prefer not to pack a bunch of unneeded clothes just to find out jeans, shoes (figure sneakers may be pushing it) and nice tee with no design would have worked.

Why not ask your adult child what he/she would like to wear?  I would be much more interested in letting my family member decide what to wear than what a bunch of (occasionally snobish) internet cruisers have to think.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why not ask your adult child what he/she would like to wear?  I would be much more interested in letting my family member decide what to wear than what a bunch of (occasionally snobish) internet cruisers have to think.

That’s all well and good until they can’t eat in the Manhattan room because he didn’t pack a collared shirt. Knowing the dress code helps, I’d suggest throwing a couple of polo shirts in the luggage.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Pish posh! I’m using this cruise as an excuse to get my daughter to wear something other than ripped jeans and short shorts. 

Edited by JustSomeLady
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, JustSomeLady said:

Pish posh! I’m using this cruise as an excuse to get my daughter to wear something other than ripped jeans and short shorts. 

I would be more interested in my DD having an enjoyable cruise.  😎

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

That’s all well and good until they can’t eat in the Manhattan room because he didn’t pack a collared shirt. Knowing the dress code helps, I’d suggest throwing a couple of polo shirts in the luggage.

That's fine.  I would just let my DS/DD know what the dress code is for certain restaurants.  Aren't we talking about an 18 year old here?

Manhattan Room turned people away on the second night and on for the cruise if you were wearing shorts. The two other MDR's... Savor and Taste don't abide by that dress code.  

Clean, non ripped jeans and a collared shirt are fine for both Moderno and Teppanyaki.

• Like 2

Let your conscience be your guide .. If you can not put a pair of pants on for dinner theres always the Buffet . Cruising has changed ALOT in the last 20 years , Not for the better . 

Theres always Wisconsin Dells   😉

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, mpk218 said:

Let your conscience be your guide .. If you can not put a pair of pants on for dinner theres always the Buffet . Cruising has changed ALOT in the last 20 years , Not for the better . 

Theres always Wisconsin Dells   😉

Incorrect.

Shorts are perfectly acceptable in all restaurants (complimentary or specialty) for all meals for all persons (except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where gents are asked to wear jeans or dockers). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect.

Shorts are perfectly acceptable in all restaurants (complimentary or specialty) for all meals for all persons (except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where gents are asked to wear jeans or dockers). 

except day 1 when shorts are ok. which is why i booked them day one 

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect.

On some ships the nicer MDR does not allow shorts for over 12 year olds. My tall 11 year old was asked his age.

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Does the dress code really specify "clean, non-ripped?" 🤣

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Do you have a link to this expanded dress code? 

Are my Bermuda length shorts considered "shorts" or short pants?