Dining Dress Code

adlb1300

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Dress code is sort of flexible on cruises to Alaska - somewhat due to weather extremes.

Different from warm weather Caribbean Panama Canal cruises.

But in general one or more of the Specialty restaurants and one of the Main Dining rooms

are upgraded Cruise Casual pants and collared (polo) shirt -

i.e. no shorts flip-flop footwear "T" shirts - - - and HATs don't get me started on HATS

AND IF WEARING A "HAT" prepare to walk the plank  - "NO HATS" in any restaurants  !!!!!

Well for the Buffet -OK- keep the hat browser out of the food Please ! LOL tongue in cheek !

Surely no hats in a restaurant is not just a cruise thing its a generally excepted restaurant rule ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrshorsy said:

Surely no hats in a restaurant is not just a cruise thing its a generally excepted restaurant rule ?

Not much observed in land-based restaurants, anymore, except for the fine-dining establishments.  It's all part of the "I don't care how I look" attitude exhibited by more and more people, and most restaurants won't fight the tide.

I recall almost twenty-five years ago, I took my wife and her then-eighteen-year-old son out to dinner.  It was a branch restaurant---Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Longhorn . . . some establishment like that.  The boy wore a baseball cap and kept it on when he sat down.

"Take off your hat," I told him.

"Why?"

"Because it's improper to wear a hat at the dinner table," I said.  "This isn't a sidewalk diner."

"I don't want to take it off."

"That wasn't a request, Rick.  Take off the hat."

"But I'll have 'hat hair'," he protested.

"Take it off," I repeated, "or you'll be sitting at another table by yourself and paying for your own dinner."

He looked at his mother pleadingly.  "Mom . . . ?"

"You heard him," replied the Good Mrs. Benson.

He took off the hat.  And I never had that problem, again.  He might not have gone out to dinner with us again until he was thirty.  But I was good with that, either way.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:34 PM, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect.

Shorts are perfectly acceptable in all restaurants (complimentary or specialty) for all meals for all persons (except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where gents are asked to wear jeans or dockers). 

BirdTravels correctly states my experience on a December 2021 sailing of the Escape.  The only thing that was different on our December sailing was that we wore shorts to Le Bistro.  When we made reservations on day 1 for Le Bistro, the staff member stated "no shorts."  However, several days later a few hours before our reservation, we happened by Le Bistro and the receptionist there said we could wear shorts and we did.  When we arrived at Le Bistro in our shorts and collared shirts, we were seated immediately and none of the very few diners there appeared to care.  We also ate in the Manhattan MDR in shorts mid-cruise. Several other diners were there in shorts as well.  Your experience now may be different as things may have changed in the two months since my cruise.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lexxfield said:

We also ate in the Manhattan MDR in shorts mid-cruise. Several other diners were there in shorts as well.  Your experience now may be different as things may have changed in the two months since my cruise.

Escape has always been cruise casual (shorts allowed) in the Manhattan Room. One of the reasons for the confusion is that different ships have different codes for the "top" MDR. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 1:34 PM, mpk218 said:

That sounds like a great idea , I may join you ..

Ha, have you checked out the prices! I thought a tux was expensive and required a lot of "extras". Kilts are even more involved.....and expensive!😲

Doug

Scots-Irish descent................😎

• Like 1

There are really just a three things to remember:

1) no shorts in Le Bistro and Ocean Blue (or equivalent).

2) shorts are allowed in the aft dining room on some ships and aren’t allowed in others.

3) the rules are not always applied, so you may be let in Le Bistro with shorts, for example, but that doesn’t mean that someone else will be able to.

That is it. The only problem is identifying in advance what your specific ship does in the aft dining room. It will say in the freestyle daily once you board.

What the rules are on the Escape makes no difference to what they may be on the Breakaway, for example.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2022 at 7:06 PM, luckyinpa said:

day of sailing is no dress code. shorts in le bistro wont get you kicked out. after that, even try to get in MDR in shorts and you walk the plank. also ive sat on the outside seating of ocean blue in shorts but unsure what nite i did that on. 

jeans ok everywhere. all access pass given with those. 

My husband has ALWAYS worn shorts in the MDR. On some ships, one of the MDRs is more formal and long pants are required, but in general shorts are fine in almost every venue on NCL. There will be one or two exceptions on every ship, those receptions just require long pants, so jeans are fine.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What are these?  I wore sweats to Ocean Blue and nobody cared.  Our AK dailies indicated no MDR restrictions, just Ocean Blue and La Bistro requiring some form of pants and any form of collar.

So , you  applied the Peter principle ? 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mpk218 said:

Rise to the level of the bare minimum .. which is okay 

Yeah, I got it.  I lived much of my life at "bare minimum."  Life is often easier (and more fun) that way.  🤣

Besides, my high end, 100% cotton sweats are likely nicer looking (and significantly more comfortable) than Mr. High and Mighty's polyester slacks from Walmart. 😎 (Not that there's anything wrong with that, as long as they don't try to tell ME how to dress - nobody would really do that, right?  Especially on a fine internet forum like this one?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

.............. as long as they don't try to tell ME how to dress - nobody would really do that, right?  Especially on a fine internet forum like this one?)

Well, occasionally a maitre-d' might try to do so in the dining room! 😲

My condemnation of what clothing folks wear must be dependent on one's age...and maybe sex. My wife says I never complain about the young women wearing "next to nothing" <her words, not mine> but often complain about the men or women my own age wearing the same attire. I just discriminate on age, eh?😉

Doug

7 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Well, occasionally a maitre-d' might try to do so in the dining room! 😲

Never happen.

What is the second word in "Sweat Pants?"

What is required in the MDR?

Pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😎

(disclaimer:  one of our fine fellow forum members once suggested that I might have been spotted in the martini bar in my boxers.  I didn't deny it!  God gave everybody necks and eyelids - use them!)

7 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

My condemnation of what clothing folks wear must be dependent on one's age...and maybe sex.

Surely you jest.  Nobody would waste even a moment of their cruise "condemning" anybody.  Right?

(that said, I'm sure there are some tea tootlers spending half their cruises condemning the "fun" crowd who opt into the drink package - who among us hasn't gotten that "look?" 🤣)

On 2/28/2022 at 12:37 PM, brookie848 said:

My husband has ALWAYS worn shorts in the MDR. On some ships, one of the MDRs is more formal and long pants are required, but in general shorts are fine in almost every venue on NCL. There will be one or two exceptions on every ship, those receptions just require long pants, so jeans are fine.

Question:  is the menu the same in all the MDR or is it different in the more formal one?

Our policy is always to wear what we want (within reason of course! I’m not saying we show up in swimwear) and to walk in with confidence. Never been turned away yet and my husband and kids have never worn a pair of long trousers ever on a cruise ! Of course if they were asked to change they wouldn’t cause a fuss and there’s always an emergency pair of jeans in the cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So on the Breakaway shorts where acceptable but not in the Manhattan room: now I may be old school but every night in the dining rooms I always wear pair of slacks and a button down shirt. 
also we stay in the Haven and most men business casual or better

• Like 3