Beer

rdemn

Don’t brand limit yourself on the islands.  I love to stop at local or street bars on islands and ask for their most popular local beer, as long as it’s cold, cold cold.  Had many a great beer, only a few duds.

Problem is without digging out my camera I can’t name them. Caribe is a nice been down in the Caribbean, only name I remember off the top of my head.

Growing up in Cincy, a beer drinking town with deep German Heritage, 

Eddie, 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Went to school near Cincinnati. You must be referring to Hudepohl, Wiedemann's, and of course Little Kings!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

I'm a big fan of craft beers (especially ales), but I looked at the beer list in the Ovation pub and was totally underwhelmed. Seems like they could pick up a few kegs of good craft beer at their ports.

I was disappointed by Ovation beer options too, especially for a supposed pub. I guess I was spoiled by the real craft beer pub on the newer NCL ships. Instead I found craft beer spots in Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka, and I got to talk to locals and had a cat sleep in my lap at a Juneau brewery. The only pleasant beer surprise on Ovation was finding Newcastle on tap in the covered pool bar. I suppose they make more profit on cocktails and wine and don't want the storage/recycling problems with bottled beer, although even on wine/cocktail-centered HAL and Princess I can still find Grolsch to carry around with me, and on Princess a few weeks ago I got to know a cute Serbian bartender who found unique beers that aren't on the menu, like a Piraat Triple (10.5% abv!) or Goose Island Sofie. 

• Like 1

Just off the Symphony  In playmakers you can get a pitcher of beer for 18.00  used diamond voucher & paid difference about 6.00  they had stella , new castle , heineken , and late in the week  blue moon I brought my Yeti tumbler  to fill and walk. with it managed the week with out a drink package  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

I'm a big fan of craft beers (especially ales), but I looked at the beer list in the Ovation pub and was totally underwhelmed. Seems like they could pick up a few kegs of good craft beer at their ports.

At one time pre-Covid, Royal was carrying Funky Buddha selections, even on Coco Cay.  All I saw on the Harmony in January was Sierra Nevada, Stones , and Terrapin's awful fruity concoction, plus Newcastle on tap in the Pub which was NOT the brewed for American tastes in bottles you see around. Coco Cay did have Red Stripe permitting beer drinkers to somewhat avoid the Big Beer swill.

I was on Symphony in Nov of 21 and could get buckets no problem 5 beers for the price of 4. Wasn't advertised but was available upon request. Maybe someone currently on board any Royal ship can ask. I was also able to get this deal in Coco Cay.

Edited by DrewFoundLander

22 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Don’t brand limit yourself on the islands.  I love to stop at local or street bars on islands and ask for their most popular local beer, as long as it’s cold, cold cold.  Had many a great beer, only a few duds.

Problem is without digging out my camera I can’t name them. Caribe is a nice been down in the Caribbean, only name I remember off the top of my head.

Eddie, 

I agree, I always like to ask what the local beers are and thy them since you will never find them back home. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Chilla Thrilla. Anyone see it again at Coco Cay?  I missed its debut by a week or two back in ‘19. Just wondered if it survived Covid and made a return.  Never had a chance to try it. 
  On another note has anybody tried the Rip Ty’d brewery in Nassau?   Been to Pirates Republic multiple times and thought might try something new. 

On 2/23/2022 at 1:16 PM, caisseold442 said:

Just off the Symphony  In playmakers you can get a pitcher of beer for 18.00  used diamond voucher & paid difference about 6.00  

Now that's a proper use of a Diamond voucher 👍

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Mooguy said:

Chilla Thrilla. Anyone see it again at Coco Cay?  I missed its debut by a week or two back in ‘19. Just wondered if it survived Covid and made a return.  Never had a chance to try it. 
  On another note has anybody tried the Rip Ty’d brewery in Nassau?   Been to Pirates Republic multiple times and thought might try something new. 

It wasn't there last spring.  Kinda thinking that post COVID, the Funky Buddha contract went bye, bye.   Would love to hear differently.

Didn’t see Chilla Thrilla on coco cay. They had red stripe and sands.

just off Oasis, they had funky Buddha listed at playmakers, but not all of it in stock. There were a lot of beers and wines listed that they didn’t have.  Beers they did have were stone IPA, terrapin luau krunkles, funky Buddha Floridian, terrapin hopsecutioner.

• Like 1