Carnival Panorama Ship Time

amy2313

In just a few weeks we will be on the Carnival Panorama - a cruise 2 years in the making due to Covid. 

We are trying to book a tour in Puerto Vallarta (private tour company that we have used in the past) and we are having a little trouble determining ship time vs. local time and if the Panorama changes their clocks. 

I know it is not normal for the ship to change the time to match a port time but we actually had this happen years ago when we sailed out of California. 

Basically, the questions are:

Puerto Vallarta is 2 hours ahead of California time so...

1) does Carnival adjust ship time at all due to such a big time difference?

2) if we dock in Puerto Vallarta at 9am, what is ship time and what is local time?

Thanks for any clarification that can be provided.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

They will adjust the ship time accordingly to location with an announcement as you sail. They will match.  

The ship time does adjust but it does NOT match local time.  The ship will be an hour earlier than local PV time.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ArchieCruise said:

The ship time does adjust but it does NOT match local time.  The ship will be an hour earlier than local PV time.  

When I sailed to PV on the Panorama in September we were told to adjust our clocks based on the timezones. I could have sworn the ship time then matched local time when we arrived. 

• Like 1

When I did this itinerary on the Splendor a few years ago, we were 1hour behind local time the whole time.

Puerto Vallarta is on what we in the US call Central Time, but the ship will be on Mountain Time.

Keep in mind there are a few weeks at the beginning and one at the end of US Daylight Savings Time that Mexico is not on DST, so that may muddy the water a bit further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

When I did this itinerary on the Splendor a few years ago, we were 1hour behind local time the whole time.

Puerto Vallarta is on what we in the US call Central Time, but the ship will be on Mountain Time.

Keep in mind there are a few weeks at the beginning and one at the end of US Daylight Savings Time that Mexico is not on DST, so that may muddy the water a bit further.

yes, Mexico does the clock change on 4/3 this year and the US does is on 3/13 so the time does get confusing for booking private excursions.  I would think the tour company can assist inyour booking the right time. Good Luck!

• Like 1

We were on the Panorama last week.  The clock moved one hour forward on late Sunday/early Monday at 2am, then reversed itself on late Thursday/early Friday at 2am.  This meant that the ship time was the same as the local time in Mazalan and Cabo, but an hour behind in Puerta Valletta.  So 9am would be 8am ship time.

• Like 1

Just off the Panorama and the ship time does NOT match local time in PV. The CD and his staff did a horrible job communicating this and people were confused all week. In fact, after the confusion in PV CD (Christian) was asked if ship time would match local time in Cabo (which, it does) and his answer was "I do not know what the time is there just stay on ship time." I was shocked at how unhelpful and disorganized he was. Worst CD I have ever sailed with. Nothin was made clear in the Fun Times or in the Hub app either. I've been on numerous cruises with time changes and have never seen so much confusion. 

Anyway, PV is 2 hours earlier than Pacific time and Cabo/Mazatlan are one hour earlier so when the clocks change after the first sea day PV is just one hour earlier than ship time and Cabo/Mazatlan match.

7 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

Just off the Panorama and the ship time does NOT match local time in PV. The CD and his staff did a horrible job communicating this and people were confused all week. In fact, after the confusion in PV CD (Christian) was asked if ship time would match local time in Cabo (which, it does) and his answer was "I do not know what the time is there just stay on ship time." I was shocked at how unhelpful and disorganized he was. Worst CD I have ever sailed with. Nothin was made clear in the Fun Times or in the Hub app either. I've been on numerous cruises with time changes and have never seen so much confusion. 

Anyway, PV is 2 hours earlier than Pacific time and Cabo/Mazatlan are one hour earlier so when the clocks change after the first sea day PV is just one hour earlier than ship time and Cabo/Mazatlan match.

i was on the same cruise as you.  On Sunday, the app was very clear that we needed to set our clocks forward an hour.  On Monday, a banner appeared on the app reminding us that the ship’s time had moved an hour forward, and that the ship’s time may differ from the local time.  During the week, Christian’s announcements were very clear - adhere to the ship time, as it may differ from the local time that your phones may sync to.  

We loved Christian.  Yes, I agree that he did it seem to be aware of which time zone each stop was in, and how that differed from the ship time (this was his third cruise on the Panorama IIRC), but does it really matter?  The instructions were very clear - stay on ship time (which is on hundreds of digital clocks throughout the ship), not the local time.  I’m sorry if this was confusing to you :).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

Cheers?

3 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

i was on the same cruise as you.  On Sunday, the app was very clear that we needed to set our clocks forward an hour.  On Monday, a banner appeared on the app reminding us that the ship’s time had moved an hour forward, and that the ship’s time may differ from the local time.  During the week, Christian’s announcements were very clear - adhere to the ship time, as it may differ from the local time that your phones may sync to.  

We loved Christian.  Yes, I agree that he did it seem to be aware of which time zone each stop was in, and how that differed from the ship time (this was his third cruise on the Panorama IIRC), but does it really matter?  The instructions were very clear - stay on ship time (which is on hundreds of digital clocks throughout the ship), not the local time.  I’m sorry if this was confusing to you :).

Yes, the communication about the time improved after he mucked up the PV time announcements. Whether it’s his third cruise or his last he should know this without batting an eye whether the ship time matches port times. You’d think with his hourly 7-minute long announcements there would be time to clarify this instead of just overselling Deal or No Deal cards.

I’m glad someone found it clear, all the conversations I overheard in the theater and walking through the Lanai were confused. Luckily for me I had cruisecritic and new what to expect but think I would have been lost had I not done my research beforehand.

I also wonder why Carnival doesn’t inform you on the itinerary, especially for those planning independent excursions. Or maybe it’s just that, they don’t want you to 😉 

I’m also glad you liked Christian as CD. Different strokes. I found him insufferable and more concerned about gaining Facebook followers than anything else. 

Edited by Alegeeter

We were on an earlier sailing and found Christian to be professional and knowledgeable. I certainly did not detect any inexperience. Never heard any complaints or confusion from the other guests. Many other employees also reminded people of the time change.

You would have had to try really hard to miss it or misunderstand it.

It is not up to the cruise line to inform you of what time zone your ports are in. Every reputable tour operator knows very well what time the ships come in and you can compare that with the published port times if you want. They also will make sure anyone booking with them has the info they need. I have used them often and that has been my experience.

Thank you to everyone for the help on this BUT i might be more confused now!! 🙂

And I have spoken to the tour company that was as confused as me and could not provide a clear answer.  I then tried our Carnival PVP and he was not able to provide a clear answer.  And finally, he put me in touch with the Shore Excursion folks who were no help at all (my guess is because they want you booking directly through them as well).

A number of you mentioned that PV is earlier/behind ship time (or California time).  But when I look they are actually ahead.

For example, right now...

PV it is currently 8:41pm

California/SHIP TIME is currently 6:41pm

If Carnival tells guests to move the clocks forward one hour on night 2 then...

PV is 8:41pm

California/SHIP TIME will be 7:41pm

And then to complicate matters even more, one of you were kind to mention that Daylight savings goes into effect in the US on 3/13 and Mexico 4/3.  Our cruise leaves on 3/19 so for the US that would factor in.

AND would Carnival even change the clocks while onboard if we are in DST at that point??

Any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Edited by amy2313

6 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

Yes, the communication about the time improved after he mucked up the PV time announcements. Whether it’s his third cruise or his last he should know this without batting an eye whether the ship time matches port times. You’d think with his hourly 7-minute long announcements there would be time to clarify this instead of just overselling Deal or No Deal cards.

I’m glad someone found it clear, all the conversations I overheard in the theater and walking through the Lanai were confused. Luckily for me I had cruisecritic and new what to expect but think I would have been lost had I not done my research beforehand.

I also wonder why Carnival doesn’t inform you on the itinerary, especially for those planning independent excursions. Or maybe it’s just that, they don’t want you to 😉 

I’m also glad you liked Christian as CD. Different strokes. I found him insufferable and more concerned about gaining Facebook followers than anything else. 

Upon further research, it appears it’s standard in the cruise industry to maintain ship time and be ignorant as to local time (if there’s a difference).  It’s probable Christian knew what the local time in Puerto Valletta was, but stuck to the company narrative.  More people would be confused if you told them “it’s 11am ship time / 12pm local time… make sure you’re back by 8pm ship time/9pm local time)” than if you just stuck to ship time.

Sorry you didn’t like Christian.  Clearly he’s more attractive to a younger audience, which would fit in nicely given that the Panorama’s demographic was clearly skewing older, with few 20s.

3 hours ago, amy2313 said:

Thank you to everyone for the help on this BUT i might be more confused now!! 🙂

And I have spoken to the tour company that was as confused as me and could not provide a clear answer.  I then tried our Carnival PVP and he was not able to provide a clear answer.  And finally, he put me in touch with the Shore Excursion folks who were no help at all (my guess is because they want you booking directly through them as well).

A number of you mentioned that PV is earlier/behind ship time (or California time).  But when I look they are actually ahead.

For example, right now...

PV it is currently 8:41pm

California/SHIP TIME is currently 6:41pm

If Carnival tells guests to move the clocks forward one hour on night 2 then...

PV is 8:41pm

California/SHIP TIME will be 7:41pm

And then to complicate matters even more, one of you were kind to mention that Daylight savings goes into effect in the US on 3/13 and Mexico 4/3.  Our cruise leaves on 3/19 so for the US that would factor in.

AND would Carnival even change the clocks while onboard if we are in DST at that point??

Any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Yes, it’s customary for this cruise to move clocks forward one hour on Sunday night, then reverse Thursday night.  So, when it’s 12pm in Long Beach, it’s 1PM on the ship (and Cabo and Mazalan) and 2PM in Puerto Valletta.

I do not know whether the ship time will stay on Long Beach time during the weeks Mexico does not participate in DST.  That would make the ship time equal to Puerta Valletta. 

My question is- given the above, does it matter?  FYI- The ship historically arrives into Puerta Valletta super early and lets people off early.

11 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Sorry you didn’t like Christian.  Clearly he’s more attractive to a younger audience, which would fit in nicely given that the Panorama’s demographic was clearly skewing older, with few 20s.

Thank you for including me in the younger audience. 😂 I am 74 and thought Christian did a wonderful job.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:39 PM, ArchieCruise said:

We just got off the Panorama earlier today and this is correct.

It’s pretty confusing. You do time changes so you’re closer to local time but you aren’t on local time or California time. I’m not a fan of that aspect of it.

If you have internet you can always Google “what time is it in Puerto Vallarta”  if you get confused.

Edited by Saint Greg

On 2/25/2022 at 1:29 AM, Itried4498 said:

Yes, it’s customary for this cruise to move clocks forward one hour on Sunday night, then reverse Thursday night.  So, when it’s 12pm in Long Beach, it’s 1PM on the ship (and Cabo and Mazalan) and 2PM in Puerto Valletta.

I do not know whether the ship time will stay on Long Beach time during the weeks Mexico does not participate in DST.  That would make the ship time equal to Puerta Valletta. 

My question is- given the above, does it matter?  FYI- The ship historically arrives into Puerta Valletta super early and lets people off early.

It matters and is incredibly important when you are trying to book an excursion not through carnival; one that runs on local time. 

we were originally scheduled to sail on the Panorama in 2020 when the world shut down originally due to Covid and the excursion that we had booked back then through carnival is no longer offered and we were able to find it privately. 

we arrive in PV on 3/22 which is after the US switches clocks but before Mexico changes them. We are also scheduled to arrive in port at 9am and if I do not know what time 9am ship time is to PV time on 3/22, I run the risk of missed our excursion. 

all of which means it is incredibly important for me to know if carnival adjusts the time which onboard even after DST takes effect and it is crazy that no one at carnival can answer that ahead of time for me. 

54 minutes ago, amy2313 said:

It matters and is incredibly important when you are trying to book an excursion not through carnival; one that runs on local time. 

we were originally scheduled to sail on the Panorama in 2020 when the world shut down originally due to Covid and the excursion that we had booked back then through carnival is no longer offered and we were able to find it privately. 

we arrive in PV on 3/22 which is after the US switches clocks but before Mexico changes them. We are also scheduled to arrive in port at 9am and if I do not know what time 9am ship time is to PV time on 3/22, I run the risk of missed our excursion. 

all of which means it is incredibly important for me to know if carnival adjusts the time which onboard even after DST takes effect and it is crazy that no one at carnival can answer that ahead of time for me. 

It can seem confusing but every excursion operator I have ever dealt with knows very well when the ship ports and can tell you what time that is in relation to the time of your tour. If not, find a better operator.

• 11 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 6:23 AM, Alegeeter said:

I am also having this dilemma figuring out the timing for booking my own excursions.You said when clocks change PV is one hr earlier than Ship time. So if the itinerary says we are getting into PV at 9 am, it is 8 am PV time?  

10 hours ago, Amamab said:

I am also having this dilemma figuring out the timing for booking my own excursions.You said when clocks change PV is one hr earlier than Ship time. So if the itinerary says we are getting into PV at 9 am, it is 8 am PV time?  

Puerto Vallarta is generally 2 hours later than Los Angeles - it is on what we call Central Time in the US. My past experience with this itinerary is that the ship is one hour behind local time in Puerto Vallarta, i.e. if it is 9 AM on the ship it is 10 AM ashore. However that was with both the US and Mexico on DST.

I would suspect if a sailing falls into the period where the US is on DST and Mexico is not, the ship would not do a time change, as it would be only one hour behind Puerto Vallarta. In a  case where the US is on DST and Mexico is not, Los Angeles, Cabo, and Mazatlan would all have the same local time.

I am in the exact same situation, and the worst part is I am cruising late March, which is in between when US and Mexico switch daylight saving.

I just move our (self) excursion time to noon so I know there is no chance for us to mess up... There are SO MANY different versions of stories, and that scares me.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:58 AM, tidecat said:

Puerto Vallarta is generally 2 hours later than Los Angeles - it is on what we call Central Time in the US. My past experience with this itinerary is that the ship is one hour behind local time in Puerto Vallarta, i.e. if it is 9 AM on the ship it is 10 AM ashore. However that was with both the US and Mexico on DST.

I would suspect if a sailing falls into the period where the US is on DST and Mexico is not, the ship would not do a time change, as it would be only one hour behind Puerto Vallarta. In a  case where the US is on DST and Mexico is not, Los Angeles, Cabo, and Mazatlan would all have the same local time.

Ok. I pulled up a world clock and put all the locations in to help so I see that makes sense. So in your experience when the ships clock changes you are then on Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas time until it changes back to LA time on the way home. Correct?

4 minutes ago, Amamab said:

Ok. I pulled up a world clock and put all the locations in to help so I see that makes sense. So in your experience when the ships clock changes you are then on Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas time until it changes back to LA time on the way home. Correct?

Yes, that is correct.