Drink package

Ajkcruiser

Hello … hope everyone is keeping safe,

if a book a sail away room does not come with drink package or specialty dinning.

wod I be able to buy a drink package for me and kids drink package for my daughter once on board? 

Thanks

Aj

20 minutes ago, Ajkcruiser said:

Hello … hope everyone is keeping safe,

if a book a sail away room does not come with drink package or specialty dinning.

wod I be able to buy a drink package for me and kids drink package for my daughter once on board? 

Thanks

Aj

You would be able to buy it but it is very expensive, approx $100 per day per person plus gratuities. I believe everyone over 21 years in the cabin has to buy it, you cannot only buy it for one of the adults

Thanks for your replies ….. How can I go about this … the sail away deal doesn’t offer the drink package …. 

should I change rooms? Should I buy drinks without a package? 

Does NCL offers wine bottles package still? What about the corking fee? I brought my own before.

i am not a heavy drinker and my child doesn’t really like pop or juices if they are not nectars ( Autism) 

Thanks

Aj

Edited by Ajkcruiser

I haven't used the viva vino package in a while but that is a wine package offered by NCL.  You can only purchase it once on board.  In the past it was available at any bar or sometimes its even available when you first board the ship. The offer a selection of wines at varying levels. 

Hope this helps, 

Have a good day. 

1 hour ago, Ajkcruiser said:

Thanks for your replies ….. How can I go about this … the sail away deal doesn’t offer the drink package …. 

should I change rooms? Should I buy drinks without a package? 

Does NCL offers wine bottles package still? What about the corking fee? I brought my own before.

i am not a heavy drinker and my child doesn’t really like pop or juices if they are not nectars ( Autism) 

Thanks

Aj

What's the price difference between sail away and a room that includes the package? If you're not a "heavy" drinker, you can just pay for 2-3 drinks a day. $20-30/day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You never never ever ever want to pay full price out of pocket for NCL's drink package.  It's a ripoff and I believe only 3 people in history have done that and they are still living in bankruptcy. 

Ha! Back on my first cruise it was $280 with gratuity. At current pricing it's a total ripoff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

You would be able to buy it but it is very expensive, approx $100 per day per person plus gratuities. I believe everyone over 21 years in the cabin has to buy it, you cannot only buy it for one of the adults

It's awfully expensive. Everyone over the age of 21 in your cabin must have it. Your kids will be required to have a soda package as well I believe. I might see if the price difference between the two is less than the drinks package outright. It usually is.

3 hours ago, ja2nowak said:

Ha! Back on my first cruise it was $280 with gratuity. At current pricing it's a total ripoff.

They keep jacking the price up to get more gratuities out of you. No way it's worth $1000!

8 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You never never ever ever want to pay full price out of pocket for NCL's drink package.  It's a ripoff and I believe only 3 people in history have done that and they are still living in bankruptcy. 

Imagine paying full price for it, and still not being able to get bottled water.  What a joke.  

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:30 AM, Hutcha said:

What's the price difference between sail away and a room that includes the package? If you're not a "heavy" drinker, you can just pay for 2-3 drinks a day. $20-30/day

Thanks for all the replies …. Price difference between rooms is 524.00 out of that 225 is drink package gratuity and the rest is specialty dinning …. Clearly not worth on a 5 day cruise with 2 ports in which I would  need to buy drinks during excursions.

This is what we do. 
I Bring 2 bottles. Husband does not drink and will not drink Pepsi. He sticks to the flavored waters offered in buffet, and juice at breakfast.

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

On 2/24/2022 at 5:37 AM, Ajkcruiser said:

The core question here is how much do you (and your kids) drink?  I would never buy a sailaway cabin because the cost of the drink package wouldn't make the "bottom line" cost effective.  But I drink a fair amount and always upgrade to specialty restaurants.

If you're not a drinker and don't care about the specialty restaurants, maybe a sailaway makes sense.  But that isn't me 🙂

On 2/24/2022 at 6:33 AM, tallnthensome said:

Funny you mention that. Meet 3 couples first night that never heard of the drink package??? By night 2 they spent enough on drinks to pay for the whole week at full price. It adds up quick when Some drinks are $80 per double!

Three of us are cruising on the Joy March 26. We both have the Premium drink package ( Not the Plus).

Does my 16 yo automatically get the soda package or do we have to purchase  her that also?  ?  

13 hours ago, Kzeeguy said:

Three of us are cruising on the Joy March 26. We both have the Premium drink package ( Not the Plus).

Does my 16 yo automatically get the soda package or do we have to purchase  her that also?  ?  

So others may disagree, but mine is 14 and this was our 4th NCL. They have never charged us for a Soda package for her. She has never been refused a drink. She did try to buy with cash Starbucks, but of course they don't take cash so that hit our room bill(expected).

On 2/25/2022 at 11:58 AM, phillygwm said:

The core question here is how much do you (and your kids) drink?  I would never buy a sailaway cabin because the cost of the drink package wouldn't make the "bottom line" cost effective.  But I drink a fair amount and always upgrade to specialty restaurants.

If you're not a drinker and don't care about the specialty restaurants, maybe a sailaway makes sense.  But that isn't me 🙂

On the other hand, it is me.  I budgeted for a drink or two per day and I bought a soda package,  I came out hundreds of $ ahead.  You still start out with the feeling that you're "missing out" on a deal, but you really aren't unless, like others, you want the five or so drinks per day.  

Good deal for some, not everyone.

14 hours ago, Kzeeguy said:

You need to buy a package for the third person (and fourth, if applicable) in your cabin if you want them to have one. We're sailing with our daughter and will buy her the soda package. Maybe we'd get luck and she'd get them for free, but I'd rather be sure going in.