Princess Vacation Protection Question - How easy is it to recoup after cancelling?

GateGuardian

I bought the platinum princess vacation protection for my upcoming cruise in March, but may have to cancel (non-medical reason). Just wondering how easy it is to get get a refund? Also are there any hidden cancellations fees that I will not get back from cancelling? Also, is this something Princess does for me, or I have to file manually with the insurance company after cancelling?

From what I read, I should get back the following (?):

1. Cruise fare: 100% back in FCC
  2. taxes and port fees: 100% refund back to my credit card
  3. excursions: 100% refund back to my credit card
  4. EZ-Air: 100% back in airline credit? (or refund to my credit card)?

Just trying to figure out if I'm going to lose any money besides the cost of the insurance if I cancel.

Thanks!

Edited by GateGuardian

As far as I know, you've got items 1 through 3 correct.

Item 4 is where you might lose some money.

Are you inside 45 days on the flight departure? I looked at my confirmation pdf for an upcoming cruise/flight, and it says that after 45 days a fee of up full cost of each ticket will apply. No idea what the "up to" part is about. Different airlines?

As long as you are within the 30 days out from sailing, it is fairly easy (save for the connecting to an agent at Princess to cancel).  We had 3 couples booking and we all had a similar experience when cancelling

We did it last month and found the following:

1 cruise fare and all taxes/port fees  back to our credit card, credit was by the 2nd business day, and onto the cards on the 3rd.  We had no excursions booked but suspect they would have been back to our CC, one of our travel partners had a refund of a special occasion package they paid for (to their cc)

1 cruise fare, our FCD and Princess Protection back as a FCC (good for 1 year) and credited to our accounts on the 14th, 15th, and 17th (days out from cancelling) we all saw different credit days.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GateGuardian said:
  1. EZ-Air: 100% back in airline credit? (or refund to my credit card)?

7 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Item 4 is where you might lose some money.

Are you inside 45 days on the flight departure? I looked at my confirmation pdf for an upcoming cruise/flight, and it says that after 45 days a fee of up full cost of each ticket will apply. No idea what the "up to" part is about. Different airlines?

The problem is that you may be subject to the airline's cancellation policy if within 45 days of departure.

10 hours ago, Valiamo said:

As long as you are within the 30 days out from sailing, it is fairly easy (save for the connecting to an agent at Princess to cancel).  We had 3 couples booking and we all had a similar experience when cancelling

We did it last month and found the following:

1 cruise fare and all taxes/port fees  back to our credit card, credit was by the 2nd business day, and onto the cards on the 3rd.  We had no excursions booked but suspect they would have been back to our CC, one of our travel partners had a refund of a special occasion package they paid for (to their cc)

1 cruise fare, our FCD and Princess Protection back as a FCC (good for 1 year) and credited to our accounts on the 14th, 15th, and 17th (days out from cancelling) we all saw different credit days.

Thanks for the info.

My cruise is in 17 days, so within the 30 days for Cruise with Confidence, but I paid for the Platinum insurance and I thought I can cancel anytime for 100% FCC?

I'm not too worried about EZAir. I'm flying Delta and Air France and had no issues getting full flight credits for cancelling flights, especially in the last two years.

7 minutes ago, GateGuardian said:

Thanks for the info.

My cruise is in 17 days, so within the 30 days for Cruise with Confidence, but I paid for the Platinum insurance and I thought I can cancel anytime for 100% FCC?

I'm not too worried about EZAir. I'm flying Delta and Air France and had no issues getting full flight credits for cancelling flights, especially in the last two years.

I think you misunderstood me.   The Book with Confidence offer is only good until you hit the 30 day mark out from your cruise.  At 17 days out you are beyond that point.   Please review the policy on your booking. 

27 minutes ago, Valiamo said:

I think you misunderstood me.   The Book with Confidence offer is only good until you hit the 30 day mark out from your cruise.  At 17 days out you are beyond that point.   Please review the policy on your booking. 

Thanks. I'm aware the book with confidence does not apply for within 30 days. Just wondering if anyone had any good/bad experience dealing with the Princess Vacation Protection Insurance.

We did.  You first have to file with AON.  Then Princess gives you the FCC.  It takes a few weeks to get it.  We got our port fees and excursions refunded in a couple of days.  The FCC is good until the end of 2023.  Very smooth and easy.

• Like 2