Anyone with experience using Costco test?

lakelivin2

My local Costco has just started to offer rapid antigen tests for travellers and I'm wondering if anyone has used them for flying and cruising yet?  They're less costly than other alternatives but, I'm wondering if they are as readily accepted by the cruiselines ?  Anyone tried....?  Thanks

53 minutes ago, lakelivin2 said:

My local Costco has just started to offer rapid antigen tests for travellers and I'm wondering if anyone has used them for flying and cruising yet?  They're less costly than other alternatives but, I'm wondering if they are as readily accepted by the cruiselines ?  Anyone tried....?  Thanks

I was wondering the same thing......Thanks for posting!

I used them at the end of November.  It was very easy.  Did the swab in the pharmacy and 15 minutes later I had my paper copy of the results.  Here in Ottawa appointments were hard to come by.  I checked multiple times a day and did get the date I needed. 

Had used Shopper's in October and that was wayyyy longer and more expensive & not a great experience where I went.  I will be using Costco again for my April cruise!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Check with your Costco re availability.  Ours only does testing from 1-2pm weekdays, booked a week out.  That’s it.  Or at least that was their very snarky answer when I stopped by to ask if there was a problem with the website since I could never find an appointment.

On the other hand, our Shoppers has been easily bookable with speedy results and our pharmacist has started joking with us about our travel plans each time.  We continue to get tested there since the experience is much more pleasant, even if it’s a little more expensive.

Edited by bookbabe

Hi lakelivin2. 

I've just booked at Costco for testing for our cruise over the kids March Break. 

According to their website, Costco administers the Abbott Panbio Rapid Antigen Tests which are widely accepted per my understanding.

Given that we are a family of 6, I'm quite happy that I don't have to fork out the standard $40 price most other pharmacies are charging but would have done so in order to have a vacation! 

As a tip, when I started checking I was unable to get spots but noticed that a lot of their calendar was blank as opposed to showing booked... I continued to check at two locations close to me a few times a day and they did open up more slots on the day we need to test, allowing me to book for my family. My backup plan was to book at Shoppers if I couldn't secure testing at Costco.

Best of luck! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JillK said:

Hi lakelivin2. 

I've just booked at Costco for testing for our cruise over the kids March Break. 

According to their website, Costco administers the Abbott Panbio Rapid Antigen Tests which are widely accepted per my understanding.

Given that we are a family of 6, I'm quite happy that I don't have to fork out the standard $40 price most other pharmacies are charging but would have done so in order to have a vacation! 

As a tip, when I started checking I was unable to get spots but noticed that a lot of their calendar was blank as opposed to showing booked... I continued to check at two locations close to me a few times a day and they did open up more slots on the day we need to test, allowing me to book for my family. My backup plan was to book at Shoppers if I couldn't secure testing at Costco.

Best of luck! 

As a firm believer in having a Plan B, I think that you might want to consider booking with Shoppers for later in the day, just in case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, JillK said:

Hi lakelivin2. 

Best of luck! 

We did the same as you and booked at Costco for next Thursday the day they released bookings for that day.  We have Rexall booked later in the evening as a back up.  Rexall is $10 cheaper per person that Shoppers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We did the same as you and booked at Costco for next Thursday the day they released bookings for that day.  We have Rexall booked later in the evening as a back up.  Rexall is $10 cheaper per person that Shoppers.

Hi Russ - do you mind if I ask why you have booked a back up? Is it in case they run out of tests or in case you test positive? 

Thanks for the tip about Rexall- I didn't know they were cheaper than (what seems to be) the average of $40.

2 hours ago, JillK said:

Hi Russ - do you mind if I ask why you have booked a back up? Is it in case they run out of tests or in case you test positive? 

Thanks for the tip about Rexall- I didn't know they were cheaper than (what seems to be) the average of $40.

We originally booked the Rexall appointments a few months ago.  I contacted Costco to talk to the pharmacist after we booked Costco when appointments became available for booking this Monday to ask what documentation they provided.  The pharmacist said that they will only conduct tests for people flying from Canada and would not test for the purposes of people going on a cruise, as per Costco Canada's policies.  We live near Windsor, so we are flying from Detroit, so she said we could not get a test done without providing proof we are flying from a Canadian airport.

I challenged her on the ridiculous policy since I was a Costco member and I was the one paying for the tests.  I contacted head office and they investigated the complaint.  The manager of the store we booked with called me back and said they would make an exception for us and note this on our test booking so we did not have issues getting the test done.  I am still worried that if that is the official policy and the note was not put on the booking, they may not test us when we arrive, so I am covering all my bases and have a test booked later that evening with Rexall in case I run into issues with the pharmacist I originally talked to at our local Costco when we show up for our tests.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:22 AM, Luv2Cruze4 said:

Walmart Pharmacy. $19.97. Had to call to book it,  it super easy.

Great experience using Walmart for 2 cruises for $20 no tax, however interested in trying out MedioneRX from the comfort of my home using one of my test kits. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We originally booked the Rexall appointments a few months ago.  I contacted Costco to talk to the pharmacist after we booked Costco when appointments became available for booking this Monday to ask what documentation they provided.  The pharmacist said that they will only conduct tests for people flying from Canada and would not test for the purposes of people going on a cruise, as per Costco Canada's policies.  We live near Windsor, so we are flying from Detroit, so she said we could not get a test done without providing proof we are flying from a Canadian airport.

Thanks for letting me know - we are driving to port so I was really worried about the testing at Costco after reading this.

I called the location that we are booked at and specifically told her that we were driving to port and boarding a ship. She said as long as the cruiseline is requiring RAT, their test was good and to bring our passports so that they can add this to the report.

Strange that different locations would have different policies? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JillK said:

Thanks for letting me know - we are driving to port so I was really worried about the testing at Costco after reading this.

I called the location that we are booked at and specifically told her that we were driving to port and boarding a ship. She said as long as the cruiseline is requiring RAT, their test was good and to bring our passports so that they can add this to the report.

I do not think that it is different policies.  I think it is the pharmacist at the one we booked at reading Costco Canada's policy and since it mentioned to be only used for flights from Canada to the US, the pharmacist took that as we could not get the test.  Good luck with the test and I hope you have an uneventful drive.

23 hours ago, JillK said:

After reading these posts I called my local Costco to inquire and yes even though not a member they will still do the test for me.  Even cheaper than doing it online with my own test kit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I do not think that it is different policies.  I think it is the pharmacist at the one we booked at reading Costco Canada's policy and since it mentioned to be only used for flights from Canada to the US, the pharmacist took that as we could not get the test.  Good luck with the test and I hope you have an uneventful drive.

Thanks so much Russ - best wishes for your upcoming travel as well! 

On 2/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, Keata said:

I used them at the end of November.  It was very easy.  Did the swab in the pharmacy and 15 minutes later I had my paper copy of the results.  Here in Ottawa appointments were hard to come by.  I checked multiple times a day and did get the date I needed. 

Had used Shopper's in October and that was wayyyy longer and more expensive & not a great experience where I went.  I will be using Costco again for my April cruise!

What cruise line were you on?  Did they accept the paper stating it was negative?  The costco pharmacist said sometimes cruises want a more elaborate letter.

• 2 weeks later...

I also wanted to report back that we decided to drive down a day early to avoid that major snow storm that was predicted for our travel path so we had to abandon the tests at Costco. We were able to book appointments at a Rexall in Belleville on the way to the border. Took about an hour and 10 minutes total for the 6 of us to wait, be tested and then wait again for results but we were all negative and the pharmacist was fantastic. 

Also wanted to add that NCL is providing the rapid antigen required for return for free the day before disembarkation. Just go to guest services to book. The agent we got at the 1000 Islands crossing asked to see one of our six and verbally confirmed they were all negative. At least that part won't be necessary after the end of the month. 

• Thanks 1