Port excursions in late June

Jlhutch6

I'm planning on signing up for 3 excursions today through Princess and one local vendor. Please comment on my choices if you have any advice or suggestions! I have MS and can walk 1.5 miles in relatively stable terrain so I'm limited in our choices.

Skagway: Princess White Train Railroad/Yukon $209. I know it's uncertain if the rail to the summit will be repaired but it seems likely by late June. I want to see lakes - will we see Emerald Lake? Or just drive by? Can you see or walk to Bennett Lake from Carcross?

Juneau: Mendenhaal Glacier tour and Tram package $79

Ketchikan: Wild Wolf Tours - 2 hr rainforest hike and Blight Totem park. $80 I'm scared to risk trying to arrange the public bus to Blight Totem on my own and I'd still have not idea how to get a rainforest walk. Is the path right there at Blight Totem stop?

Victoria- just planning to walk around and enjoy the views with a map

11 hours ago, Jlhutch6 said:

I'm planning on signing up for 3 excursions today through Princess and one local vendor. Please comment on my choices if you have any advice or suggestions! I have MS and can walk 1.5 miles in relatively stable terrain so I'm limited in our choices.

Skagway: Princess White Train Railroad/Yukon $209. I know it's uncertain if the rail to the summit will be repaired but it seems likely by late June. I want to see lakes - will we see Emerald Lake? Or just drive by? Can you see or walk to Bennett Lake from Carcross?

Juneau: Mendenhaal Glacier tour and Tram package $79

Ketchikan: Wild Wolf Tours - 2 hr rainforest hike and Blight Totem park. $80 I'm scared to risk trying to arrange the public bus to Blight Totem on my own and I'd still have not idea how to get a rainforest walk. Is the path right there at Blight Totem stop?

Victoria- just planning to walk around and enjoy the views with a map

I would book the Mendenhall and tram package through Princess. It’ll save you money. The tram and bus on their own are $45 each per person. I’m shocked the cruise line is the cheapest option. 

• Thanks 1

I wonder about buying the tram ahead of trip. It is very close to everything downtown, hardly ever has long lines and if foggy waste of time and money because you can't see anything. Might be a little bit more to buy individually but may end up being cheaper if you skip it. sightcrr

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I wonder about buying the tram ahead of trip.

In general, my vote is No for the reason you mentioned as the dock is steps away and you may decide to not go if there is low cloud.

However...

• Not all ships dock right at the tram docks.
    • AJ dock is over a mile away to the south (20 min walk?)
    • Seadrome Dock is 0.4 mile walk (8 min)
    • is the new dock at Whittier open now, if so it is 0.7 miles or (14 min walk)
    • is your cruise ship tendered because all the docks are in use?
  • what happens if there is a mechanical issue on the tram and you are up on the mountain?

Here is a link to where the ships will be. 

2022 Schedules | Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska (claalaska.com)

If it is south franklin street dock it is 0.2 miles to tramway (5 min walk). You can use the google map person and see what the walk is like. Start at 720 S Franklin St, JUN. 

If it is AS dock start from 319 S Franklin then it is closer at 3 min walk. 

Edited by SightCRR
added as dock info.

FYI @Jlhutch6, if your rail excursion goes deeper into the Yukon (other than the turnaround), you will need a passport.  It will be highlighted in the excursion description if that is the case.

When you are in Victoria, do plan to use ground transportation getting into and out of Victoria.  Save your strength/energy level.

Not sure if you will visit ISP, but if you do, they have a small vehicle (like an extended golf cart)  that holds about 8 people that you can hitch a ride on as the dock is fairly long.

If you are going to be in Washington State touring around before or after your cruise, we also have a rainforest to explore.  Some very easy walks.

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/visiting-the-hoh.htm

No whale watching in Juneau? I personally find that the Mendenhall Glacier is over rated- it has melted back significantly over the past few years. Also, some of the whale watching tours do a quick stop there on the way back- don't remember which company it was that did this. You would probably still have time for the tram. I am just always ready to go whale watching. 

My memory of the Victoria stop is that it was getting to evening time, the dock very long, and we just stayed onboard. You are correct that it is mostly for the requirement that the ship stop in an international port. Victoria is great but by that time we just packed and had a last shipboard drink.