Weekend Cruise on Freedom out of Miami vs. Indy out of Port Canaveral?

I would choose Freedom from Miami. In fact, I did for this October. It’s an easier drive from the airport. The port itself is nicer (just something about sailing out of Miami). The ship was just updated with the new pool deck and slides for the kids. Hotels are a bit pricey for the night before, but there are some within walking distance of Bayside Marketplace, where you can go the night before and have a nice dinner and some drinks, and watch the ships leave. If you choose Orlando you can stay near the port and there are good restaurants there too, and I have and will again, but I prefer Miami. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, CruiseMelissa said:

We'd have to fly in from Baltimore, prices seem to be the same for both MIA and MCO

I'm from Baltimore and work for the largest airline at BWI. There are more flights to MCO but, we have three four flights to MIA. I always cruise out of Port Miami. Close to Miami Beach, convenient to MIA and in a pinch FLL is 30 to 45 minutes away depending on traffic. Never been to Port Canaveral but, its a 45 minute to hour drive from MCO. You are going to pay for transportation if Uber or Lyft. Taxis? You could get a spa treatment or excursion for the price of those Ubers or Lyfts and now with $4.20 per gallon or more for gas expect to put out serious coin getting to and from Port Canaveral. Hope this helps you.

We'd have to fly in from Baltimore, prices seem to be the same for both MIA and MCO

I would lean towards the Freedom because you would have the option of flying into either MIA or FLL and you go to FLL from BWI on Southwest nonstop.  Plus transfers are shorter and cheaper and in October hotels as well if you're flying in the day before.

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I would lean towards the Freedom because you would have the option of flying into either MIA or FLL and you go to FLL from BWI on Southwest nonstop.  Plus transfers are shorter and cheaper and in October hotels as well if you're flying in the day before.

😃We have 3 to 4 nonstops to MIA on Southwest. Out of BWI

Edited by zippyjet

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Just reinforces why they should choose the Freedom.

Sure does,  looks like that would be the way to go, flight-wise.  Still wondering if you're more likely to get a party crowd vs. family crowd with MIA vs. PC but it sounds like previous posters say that probably won't be the case!

6 hours ago, zippyjet said:

I'm from Baltimore and work for the largest airline at BWI. There are more flights to MCO but, we have three four flights to MIA. I always cruise out of Port Miami. Close to Miami Beach, convenient to MIA and in a pinch FLL is 30 to 45 minutes away depending on traffic. Never been to Port Canaveral but, its a 45 minute to hour drive from MCO. You are going to pay for transportation if Uber or Lyft. Taxis? You could get a spa treatment or excursion for the price of those Ubers or Lyfts and now with $4.20 per gallon or more for gas expect to put out serious coin getting to and from Port Canaveral. Hope this helps you.

Thank you,  it really does.   We have oodles of Rapid Rewards points so we'd definitely be flying SW.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Doesn't Southwest have nonstops from BWI to MCO?

We have multiple daily flights from BWI. In order of frequency subject to change.

1. MCO.

2. FLL.

3. TPA.

4. MIA (up to 4 per day).

5. JAX, RSW, SRQ.

:)

On 2/25/2022 at 2:58 PM, Biker19 said:

Neither of the ships you listed in the title are Radiance class.

Spring breakers are gonna spring break - doesn't really matter where you sail from. To lessen the chance of having spring breakers you'd have to go on a sailing less popular with them - expensive, out of the way and  longer sailings.

There's a sweet spot for Spring cruising. It varies year to year. Basically, "Spring Breakdown" and premium prices start around Presidents Day weekend through 10 days to two weeks after Easter/Passover. Usually. A two to five week window between Spring Break/March Madness and attack of the Summer people (Memorial Day Weekend). Late April to before Memorial Day weekend. There is a bit of a spike Mothers Day weekend. Decent deals out there around the last weeks of April and early May. Enjoy!

Well there are sister ships ,I know Indy will be getting Grease as it’s play ( a friend of ours will be working on setting the play up In Miami) not sure what Freedom has for broadway play, both I am sure have a great ice show , I think you will love the entertainment on either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Well there are sister ships ,I know Indy will be getting Grease as it’s play ( a friend of ours will be working on setting the play up In Miami) not sure what Freedom has for broadway play, both I am sure have a great ice show , I think you will love the entertainment on either.

Oh, when is Grease scheduled to start?  DH really likes the play, we are sailing in Sept.  :classic_smile:

54 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Oh, when is Grease scheduled to start?  DH really likes the play, we are sailing in Sept.  :classic_smile:

Grease is already onboard and has been a few years. They are likely training a new cast.

OP- I have done both several times in the last few months and by far prefer Independence. It feels less crowded since it has had less cabins added than Freedom, it has the complimentary steam and sauna facilities, it has a friendlier crew, and even considering the distance from airport, Port Canaveral is much less chaotic than Miami. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

But MCO flights seem to be over sold much more often than MIA or FLL and MCO flights always have more kids on them.

We fly into MCO often.  We lived in Melbourne growing up, so PC is our choice in order to see friends before or after the cruise.  I have become a fan of staying in Cocoa Beach before the trip; we have caught several launches on various trips and I like the size of the town.  

Kids?  Forget about it.  SWA delivers tons of kids to and from Disney and the other theme parks, so there always more kids on those flights than others we take into Florida.  It isn't a big deal; the flights are short (HOU-MCO) and the kids are usually fine, though they get antsy (as everyone does) when long delays happen.

Either choice seems like a winner to me!

Flying I to Miami, you’re closer to the port and won’t cost you a fortune to get to the pier. Flying into Orlando,is a good 45-60 minutes away and transportation back and forth to the pier is expensive.

So much easier to embark out of Miami. Did Port Canaveral last month and it was so much longer/more difficult/cumbersome than Miami which is usually a straight walk onboard. Usually 10 minutes from elevator to ship 🙂

Other than that, if you are going at Spring Break, you'll have spring breakers and families with lots of kids from either embarkation. Embrace the crazy!

• 3 weeks later...

How about comparing the Freedom out of MIA versus the Liberty out of FLL on identical 3 day cruises in November going to Nassau and Coco Cay.  Will be burning excess FCC money on this cruise as a S2S with the NCL Prima.  Cost should be a wash since the Liberty is about 40 bucks cheaper and that will be eaten up by the Lyft to FLL from MIA.

I'm weighting up the options myself of Miami vs PC as I have come across cruises with same itineraries but PC would allow me the opportunity of seeing Kennedy Space Centre.  Are there any shore excursions being offered at end of cruise to see KSC before an airport drop off for flight home? Would I be better off staying overnight at hotel in PC after cruise in order to do KSC?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

45 minutes ago, Raddo said:

I'm weighting up the options myself of Miami vs PC as I have come across cruises with same itineraries but PC would allow me the opportunity of seeing Kennedy Space Centre.  Are there any shore excursions being offered at end of cruise to see KSC before an airport drop off for flight home? Would I be better off staying overnight at hotel in PC after cruise in order to do KSC?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=PC01&DestinationCode=

Option if available should be in your cruiseplanner for last day of your  cruise.

Your flight needs to be 5pm or later.

Edited by Jimbo

On 3/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, CruiseMelissa said:

Sure does,  looks like that would be the way to go, flight-wise.  Still wondering if you're more likely to get a party crowd vs. family crowd with MIA vs. PC but it sounds like previous posters say that probably won't be the case!

You are going to have more of a party crowd on both ships on a 3 day cruise. I live in Florida and have done numerous 3 day cruises on Freedom and Independence (and previously on Mariner and Navigator, which Freedom and Independence replaced). It really doesn’t matter which port you choose, these cruises are definitely slanted towards being party cruises. Having said that I don’t think that is a negative (otherwise I would stop doing 3 day cruises). You just have to expect a more lively, louder crowd around the ship (pools, bars, dining facilities, etc.). If you want a quieter crowd on a shorter cruise, I would recommend a 4 day cruise on these ships. From my experience, the 4 day Monday to Friday cruises are much quieter than the 3 day weekend cruises. 

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=PC01&DestinationCode=

Option if available should be in your cruiseplanner for last day of your  cruise.

Your flight needs to be 5pm or later.

Thanks for that.  The cheapest flights to UK from USA are usually evening flights so a trip to KSC can be considered.