Easter Break Cruising

JTSpitfire

6 minutes ago, JTSpitfire said:

Greetings,

Trying to decide when to cruise....the week before or the week after Easter.  Which one do y'all think will include more Easter vacationers?

Schools are out in the New England and NYC the week after Easter.

I wouldn't worry too much about Celebrity.  One year we booked a cruise Easter week....the price was just too good, last minute.  I had resigned myself to a lot of kids.  Guess what?  There were 30 onboard.  

And this was when Reflection was brandy new.😄

• Like 1

We were on one of the longer Celebrity cruises over easter...a few years ago... There may have been 100 kids.. and I mean people under 18. On a ship of several thousand you hardly noticed... Our usual hurricane season cruises had around a dozen...so it was a bit more noticeable.. but not much more.

Generally speaking... shorter cruises are more likely to have more spring breakers and kids... but given that Celebrity isn't into slides, flow riders and the like..there is less to attract the younger party set. So I wouldn't be too concerned.  Also college spring breaks are not all at the same time.. same for k-12.  

I think the reason why a Celebrity ship may fill up around the Spring Break time is not due to the kids on vacation, but rather the teachers looking for a cruise to get a break from the kids.  At least that is one of the things my teacher DW does 😄  It's always interesting to see how she can usually pick the teachers out too.  Seems like the first day she'll usually say "I think that's a group of teachers" or "She/he's a teacher" 

• Like 1

"Spring Break" seems to be largely disconnected from Easter.

Universities never have paid much attention to Easter, with late Feb/early Mar seeming to be the norm.  School districts around here have foregone the Easter-timed week off and are generally off for a week in late March.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garyl62 said:

I think the reason why a Celebrity ship may fill up around the Spring Break time is not due to the kids on vacation, but rather the teachers looking for a cruise to get a break from the kids.  At least that is one of the things my teacher DW does 😄  It's always interesting to see how she can usually pick the teachers out too.  Seems like the first day she'll usually say "I think that's a group of teachers" or "She/he's a teacher" 

Have done both before and after depending on my kids school closures. Loads of families and lots of kids.

Besides kids onboard (and there are never all that many on Celebrity) it might make a difference in flight and hotel prices and capacity. We’re paying around $200-$300 more per person for flights because we didn’t think about spring break when booking.

Unfortunately there is no consistency as to before or after Easter as far as school breaks.  

I'm on a b2b on the Carnival MardiGras from April 16-30. I originally only had one seven day ending April 23 but the airfare were just insane rediculous. All the airlines were asking $700,$800,$900 rt/pp NYC to Orlando. This is a 2 hour flight! I finally added another cruise and the return fare from Orlando on the 30th was more reasonable. But I still had to change my departure from Orlando to Jacksonville. So flying in a day before the first cruise and renting a car and driving from Jacksonville to Port Canaveral for a one night pre-cruise stay.

Edited by kwokpot

My issue over spring break or Easter isn’t so much the make up of the passengers on the ship, but the high cost of airfare if you aren’t close enough to drive. I made the mistake once of cruising over spring break and ended up paying about five times as much for airfare as I typically paid in that era.

• Like 2