1st of March Encore Canaries Celebration 🍾 🥂

jrmuk

Well here we are finally en route to Portugal, a day late due to the BA meltdown and moved onto this mornings redeye from row 2 to row 36…..However, nothing will dampen our excitement for what will be a very belated 30th wedding anniversary celebration cruise.

I’ll pop the occasional update on this thread as we go and answer any questions when I can.

Cheers,

John. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Made it to the hotel with one case minus a wheel….

We did not have to show any covid vaccine or locator forms which was a bit weird as I thought they’d have been been really strict but it was just the usual passport control and nothing more.

We’re off out to The Lisboa a Noite restaurant then and early night.

• Like 3

Hi jrmuk

Just to let you know that your ship is at this moment sailing safely up the Tagus after a couple of slightly choppy final sea days. If you’re celebrating you might want to try the Sommelier’s Lunch, which we had today. Really splendid, but we’re rather feeling the cumulative effects of 10 days rich food and wine and will be happy to revert to simpler fare - until the next time!

C27DBFFF-EDE9-4384-8DA9-E806E5F64806.thumb.jpeg.269149fdd91ff4f8ac05233fab5eaa57.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, claranda said:

Hi jrmuk

Just to let you know that your ship is at this moment sailing safely up the Tagus after a couple of slightly choppy final sea days. If you’re celebrating you might want to try the Sommelier’s Lunch, which we had today. Really splendid, but we’re rather feeling the cumulative effects of 10 days rich food and wine and will be happy to revert to simpler fare - until the next time!

C27DBFFF-EDE9-4384-8DA9-E806E5F64806.thumb.jpeg.269149fdd91ff4f8ac05233fab5eaa57.jpeg

That looks wonderful. Is there a charge for it?

3 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

First time I've seen something like that.  I'd bet there is a charge for it.  What venue was it in?

We're on the Odyssey now; a comparable lunch is $135 per person. It read like a great menu, but $270 for a mi-day meal just didn't compute for us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, claranda said:

Hi jrmuk

Hi claranda, it looks amazing, we attended something similar on a Crystal holiday cruise in the connoisseurs club.

If I remember correctly it was $500 which in hindsight was a little OTT as my wine palate is not honed to $200+ wine but we did enjoy it and I’m a sucker for an up sell 😂🤣

16 hours ago, claranda said:

Hi jrmuk

Oh My, My husband and I would do this and pay the price. A lot of our favourites on this re wines. I think I might print this off and see if I can get it replicated on one of our upcoming cruises? I can hope 🙂.

We are onboard 👍🏻

We arrived at our embarkation time of 12:40 to be met by a sea of guests ahead of us - lots are not adhering to their allotted times but I can understand why as if your flight has arrived or you’ve checked out your hotel what else can you do?

Check in didn’t take long, bit of blur of baggage checkin , pre-assessment forms, covid tests, multiple passport checks, photos and then we were onboard.

We went straight to our suite, met our stewardess and drank our welcome champagne.  

We then went to the colonnade for lunch and mosie around the ship.

NB there is no muster drill now, instead there’s an in suite video and muster introduction which was less intrusive but equally informative.

There was a wine selection in the colonnade entrance with a couple of sommeliers in attendance. At first I thought it was the included wines but it was actually some premium wines and some information about the reserve selection and other special (paid for) wine events. This is new to us and more akin to Crystal - it would have been nice to have been introduced to the included wines. 

It goes without saying ALL of the staff were fantastic and friendly and we are already feeling extra special and can’t wait for the best 11 nights.

Time for a nap to prepare for tonight.….

Edited by jrmuk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jrmuk said:

Hi claranda, it looks amazing, we attended something similar on a Crystal holiday cruise in the connoisseurs club.

If I remember correctly it was $500 which in hindsight was a little OTT as my wine palate is not honed to $200+ wine but we did enjoy it and I’m a sucker for an up sell 😂🤣

Yes, we too loved it on Crystal and although we enjoyed this one, it was not quite as good. Served in the dining room on two tables of 8 people - so not the exclusiveness of the Connoisseur Club; and surprisingly, no input at all from the head sommelier on the wines we drank, again very different to Crystal. We only sailed Crystal once, but that was certainly a highlight (together with the Elton John tribute act!!). And yes, lincslady, there was too much food - portion size too generous for that many courses.

Very lucky to get a last minute reservation in the grill by Thomas Keller 🥩 

We had the prawn cocktail and Caesar  salad to start. 🦐 🥗 

We then had the lobster Thermidor and the on the bone rib eye.

Totally fabulous food, the steak was almost 1kg and I struggled a bit but managed to finish it and even enjoyed an ice cream sundae dessert. My wife said the Thermidor was fabulous.

Unusually for us we drank cocktails all night and they were amazing.🍹  🍸 

Long day, lots of fab food and drink, early night, again… 😴 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on the 19th Feb sailing and nobody ever asked to see our proof of vaccination cert - not arriving in Lisbon or at our Lisbon hotel or restaurants, not on Madeira or any of the Canary Islands, getting off the ship or for local tours or restaurants. Only need to to scan it for the dreaded UK PLF, which will soon be going, I believe.

Day two was another early rise due to an early night.

We ate breakfast in our room, I ordered too much (as usual) and ate more than I wanted as I get leftover food guilt.

We then went to the gym which is much much better than the Odyssey class ships (and don’t get me started in the little sisters). You can have a good work out although the heaviest dumbbell is only 50LBS there are plenty machines and it’s airy and well spaced out.

We ate lunch at Sushi, we mixed and matched a bit and had a really nice selection on of teriyaki, noodles and rolls.

The waiter has convinced us to return for dinner tonight as there is a once in cruise set menu, even though it’s the formal night and I’ve brought a tux, I told him he was wasted on service he should be in sales.

Quiet afternoon mulling around and drinking coffee at Seabourn square.

We’re now off for sushi and another early’ish night as we have an e-bike tour at 8:30am

Edited by jrmuk
  • Like 2

The sushi night was definitely worth it if you like sushi/sashimi/nigiri etc

IT was so nice I had two of the courses twice….

I can confirm, as stated above, we have not shown out covid vaccination certificate once since leaving home. In Funcal we only needed our room key to enter and return.

We did the E-bike tour of Funchal this morning which was really good and we met some really nice people too.

Time for lunch in the main dining room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We too are on this cruise. A first for Seabourn for us. We usually do Oceania. We have found the staff amazing. We had a bad start in our spa suite but it was all handled well and we are well looked after. So far we have eaten in Keller on our first evening (a cheeky booking as we boarded) which was excellent and Sea and Ocean on formal night. Breakfast on our first morning on our glorious large  balcony. Love the serene spa area daily (complimentary to us). Afternoon tea isn’t as good as Oceania, we don’t think. We also feel that restaurants opening at 7pm is tight for evening entertainment e.g tonight is booking only for Colonnade from  7pm. 
Eatly days and settling down well. 

• Like 1

The provided masks are KN95 and are readily available.

Although reported that from 01/Mar masks would be advisory they are actually compulsory. However, once sat down to eat of drink they can come off so it is not too intrusive👍🏻

We’re off to the grill again tonight which we’ve accidentally renamed TK Max….

Edited by jrmuk
  • Haha 2