Carnival Sunshine should be put out to sea

WakeView4Us

5 hours ago, ChattTenn said:

Carnival changed Destiny to Sunshine.  We was on the Sunshine just after Carnival gave it a new name and face lift everything around still looked old/dated just can't image the appearing of her now.  We did try several on the newer ships they were good.

I think you are confusing SUNSHINE with SUNRISE.  Sunrise is the old Destiny.

• Like 1

I can feel the OP and appreciate an honest assessment, I couldn't imagine what Inspiration would look like now if it were still sailing as it was already run down and smelly. It was a great ship layout but was already very tired, drab and beat up looking. The worst part was that sewer smell that you would catch at various points on the ship, sometimes even in the cabins themselves. It actually put us off on Radiance after reading some reports about shabbiness and that unmistakable smell even after the overhaul. The Mrs. is way less inclined to give it a shot (the odd smells really bug her) but I would have no problem trying it out and giving it a shot at least. I can deal with small issues as long as things are clean, linens and mattresses clean and comfortable and those odd smells are minimal and not in the cabins. Hopefully, I'll get to see soon.  

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

Sunshine = Destiny

I haven't been on this forum very long but I have noticed one pattern. When someone points out a ship is in bad shape a bunch of folks jump on them. A common talk down is "you should have done your research." I find that one especially funny. Where do you go to see what ships are in bad shape? Definitely not here. Anyone who has read this forum for a month or two knows that saying a ship is in bad shape is just asking for abuse so only a few poor souls subject themselves to the abuse. According to this forum all Carnival ships are in great shape.

Another common comment is "that isn't representative of Carnival, you should have gone on a new ship." Well you are not seeing a Carnival ship when you are sailing a new ship. You are seeing the shipyard and outfitters. You see Carnival after Carnival has maintained it for a while.

I enjoy Carnival warts and all. But one of Carnival's warts is that they don't maintain their ships very well. They neglect them to the point you start wondering if you should switch cruise lines then they do extensive work on them and bring them back to pretty darn good.

We sail out of New Orleans since it is just an hour from the house to the terminal. We watched the Dream decay to the point we were thinking about going with Norwegian. Then it was moved to Galveston. From what I have heard they apparently put some work into it. It was replaced with Glory. We watched Glory decay until covid. It came back from covid in OK shape, but on our last trip a couple of weeks ago after it had been it wet dock it is in great shape, except for the wood decks and we are thrilled with it.

But I really wish people could come on here and let folks know which ships are in bad shape and which are in good shape.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

I think you are the one who is confused.  Destiny became Sunshine.  Sunrise is the old triumph.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, katiel53 said:

I think you are the one who is confused.  Destiny became Sunshine.  Sunrise is the old triumph.

5 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Sunshine = Destiny

I stand corrected! I believe back when we sailed on Sunshine in 2018, the refurb was already 5 years old, so at that time I probably didn’t pay that much attention!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, icft said:

I haven't been on this forum very long but I have noticed one pattern. When someone points out a ship is in bad shape a bunch of folks jump on them. A common talk down is "you should have done your research." I find that one especially funny. Where do you go to see what ships are in bad shape? Definitely not here. Anyone who has read this forum for a month or two knows that saying a ship is in bad shape is just asking for abuse so only a few poor souls subject themselves to the abuse. According to this forum all Carnival ships are in great shape.

Another common comment is "that isn't representative of Carnival, you should have gone on a new ship." Well you are not seeing a Carnival ship when you are sailing a new ship. You are seeing the shipyard and outfitters. You see Carnival after Carnival has maintained it for a while.

I enjoy Carnival warts and all. But one of Carnival's warts is that they don't maintain their ships very well. They neglect them to the point you start wondering if you should switch cruise lines then they do extensive work on them and bring them back to pretty darn good.

We sail out of New Orleans since it is just an hour from the house to the terminal. We watched the Dream decay to the point we were thinking about going with Norwegian. Then it was moved to Galveston. From what I have heard they apparently put some work into it. It was replaced with Glory. We watched Glory decay until covid. It came back from covid in OK shape, but on our last trip a couple of weeks ago after it had been it wet dock it is in great shape, except for the wood decks and we are thrilled with it.

But I really wish people could come on here and let folks know which ships are in bad shape and which are in good shape.

I think all the lines have the same issues, one there is only so much you can do maintenance wise while on the sea some do to safety issues both for crew and guests. I think unlike some of the lines Carnival tried to cheap out on some of the paint they used for a while and it's really bit them in the butt.

We have been on some of the ships more than once and as you state we have seem them look more worn with the age showing. I've yet to have one where it really hurt my enjoyment of the cruise though at least in any meaningful way. I think many of these lines should have a better schedule on redoing things.

I agree that it's nice to just know what's going on with which ships though.

I like carnival, it's all I have sailed (completely by choice), my parents have sailed Carnival, Princess, NCL, RCL and Celebrity when they were still alive. They always told me none of them are perfect and will be worse if you go into it looking for things. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, icft said:

25 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I can feel the OP and appreciate an honest assessment, I couldn't imagine what Inspiration would look like now if it were still sailing as it was already run down and smelly. It was a great ship layout but was already very tired, drab and beat up looking. The worst part was that sewer smell that you would catch at various points on the ship, sometimes even in the cabins themselves. It actually put us off on Radiance after reading some reports about shabbiness and that unmistakable smell even after the overhaul. The Mrs. is way less inclined to give it a shot (the odd smells really bug her) but I would have no problem trying it out and giving it a shot at least. I can deal with small issues as long as things are clean, linens and mattresses clean and comfortable and those odd smells are minimal and not in the cabins. Hopefully, I'll get to see soon.  

I agree with both assessments. Let's not jump down @basktchic's throat. She gave her honest review, which I appreciate.

I like NCL. They do have some of the youngest fleets on sea with a lot of bells and whistle. They have a lot more food options, both included and extra. So I can see where the OP is coming from. With that being said, CCL prices are much lower than NCL. I am averaging $40-60/night, including tip taxes and port fees on carnival without having to cram 4 ppl in one room. It's really cheap. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kanyon71 said:

I think all the lines have the same issues, one there is only so much you can do maintenance wise while on the sea some do to safety issues both for crew and guests. I think unlike some of the lines Carnival tried to cheap out on some of the paint they used for a while and it's really bit them in the butt.

We have been on some of the ships more than once and as you state we have seem them look more worn with the age showing. I've yet to have one where it really hurt my enjoyment of the cruise though at least in any meaningful way. I think many of these lines should have a better schedule on redoing things.

I agree that it's nice to just know what's going on with which ships though.

I like carnival, it's all I have sailed (completely by choice), my parents have sailed Carnival, Princess, NCL, RCL and Celebrity when they were still alive. They always told me none of them are perfect and will be worse if you go into it looking for things. 🙂

I strongly recommend that you try other lines, even though they are all more similar than different. See what's out there. You won't know you won't like something better unless you try. 

44 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

Nope. Sunrise was the old Triumph.  Destiny absolutely became Sunshine. Both retrofits were well done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaniel Lover said:

I think it's really unfortunate that, for your return to Carnival after a long absence, you didn't choose a Vista-class ship or Mardi Gras.  You chose an old ship.  Yes, parts have been revitalized, but it's still an old ship at heart.

My very strong advice for anyone who hasn't sailed on Carnival in a very long time (or ever) is to book a cruise on a Vista-class ship in a Havana Cabana...  and you'll be seeing Carnival at her best.  If you don't like a cruise in a Havana Cabana on the Vista class, at least you've experienced the best of the new Carnival...  and you can safely move on to some other cruise line instead, knowing that you gave Carnival a fair shot at impressing you.

But to judge Carnival based on Carnival Sunshine...  you just haven't given Carnival a fair shot.

Jim Zim jumps in!  (I enjoy your stuff; especially your trains.)

What Jim's suggesting makes sense IF you want an upgraded experience at an upgraded price point on Carnival.  Personally, when we want a significantly upgraded experience, we go to a completely different cruise line.  But there's room for all here.  Thanks Jim and see you on Lido!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I strongly recommend that you try other lines, even though they are all more similar than different. See what's out there. You won't know you won't like something better unless you try. 

We have thought about it. We might do a Disney one for our daughter but they are silly expensive. We almost did an NCL but never pulled the trigger. RCL has lots of cool stuff but for some reason we've never been drawn to them. May end up trying them at some point. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kanyon71 said:

We have thought about it. We might do a Disney one for our daughter but they are silly expensive. We almost did an NCL but never pulled the trigger. RCL has lots of cool stuff but for some reason we've never been drawn to them. May end up trying them at some point. 🙂

What I'm going to personally recommend is that if, you're like me and have zero interest in the bells/whistles that are part of the RCCL strategy, then you consider small ship cruising.  Things like Viking and Windstar are a completely different, far more intimate experience. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kanyon71 said:

Disney for sure is silly expensive. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

What I'm going to personally recommend is that if, you're like me and have zero interest in the bells/whistles that are part of the RCCL strategy, then you consider small ship cruising.  Things like Viking and Windstar are a completely different, far more intimate experience. 

Have looked at Viking a few times.

I do like to be entertained but I honestly have no desire to rock climb lol.

Have always liked Carnival because there is always something for us to do or eat or we can do nothing. Our next cruise is on Mardis Gras in June.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kanyon71 said:

Wife wants to try Disney too but the prices just don't seem worth it to me. Even the parks are overpriced now, too crowded with locals who use it as a hang out spot and don't match the dollar to value ratio I'm looking for. It's becoming an elitist product and pricing themselves out of the mainstream. RCL presence on the west coast is pitiful and traveling halfway or completely across the country doesn't make a lot of sense to cruise. We will probably try NCL but I hate their booking engine, it's terrible and I can't even figure out how to book multiple cabins and their promos are confusing.     

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, icft said:

I think that is the problem within it itself Everyone has different assessment levels when it comes to certain ships/cruise lines, food, service, ship conditions...as we see there are a wide range of opinions on what is acceptable or not, what they have experienced, or does that rust bother someone more or less then somone else. Its all subjective. so to get a really "fair or neutral" assessment is not going to be possible. You kinda have to take all the critiques and weigh them out on what you want to focus on or believe. 

After all..It's your $$$ your spending....and everyone has a choice....so go with what is best and what

you think is acceptable or not! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DrSea said:

This one was my 27th cruise. I have cruised NCL, RCCL, Carnival (this was my 6th on them), Princess and Celebrity.

We cruised NCL in Decenber and had no issues with rust in the room, railings missing varnish, poor food or cat litter box smells. 

I know ships of all ages have some level of rust but the issues on this one were beyond what is expected, even on an oldie.

I know the sunshine has her fans,  I'm just not one of them after this cruise.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, basktchic said:

This one was my 27th cruise. I have cruised NCL, RCCL, Carnival (this was my 6th on them), Princess and Celebrity.

We cruised NCL in Decenber and had no issues with rust in the room, railings missing varnish, poor food or cat litter box smells. 

I know ships of all ages have some level of rust but the issues on this one were beyond what is expected, even on an oldie.

I know the sunshine has her fans,  I'm just not one of them after this cruise.

My recommendation was directed at @Kanyon71. I am glad to see that you have sailed so many times with so many cruise lines. I am very partial toward NCL, as that is one of my favorite lines. It hits the sweet spot for me. RCI has the flowrider, which I LOVE surfing on. Both lines has great broadway shows (I think NCL has better shows, but that's just personal taste).

I very much agree with @markkw07. It's your money spend it the way you wish. 

For me personally, there are different kinds of cruises. 

- Party cruise with friends from college or am on a budget (not all my guests who are millennials can afford cruising with the economy) - Carnival fits the bill to a tee.

- Family cruise - NCL/Princess

- Going with friends who are more active - NCL/RCI

- Food - Viking

- Pampered experience - Viking/NCL Haven etc

My point is that maybe newer Carnival Ships could fit in your rotation somewhere, depending on what you are looking for. It's totally fair for Carnival not to fit anywhere. That is how I feel about HAL after a terrible experience with them. Never again. 

Edited by DrSea
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, basktchic said:

Our cabins bathroom smelling like a cat litter box is not something easily ignored. 

Odors in cabin bathrooms are typically easily rectified.  There is a drain, typically underneath the toilet in the floor.  This drain rarely sees water, unless you overflow the shower, so the dry AC air dries out the water in the U-trap.  A glass of water down this drain will remove the smells almost immediately.  This can, and does, happen on any ship, of any age.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Virga said:

I mostly disagree in sentiment: Having spent most of our Carnival 'career' on Fantasy class ships, the rust doesn't bother us.  We happily take these weekend cruises whenever they cost less than a hotel and bartab in our hometown - and now that they're legitimately free, that's even better.  We don't find the food half as bad as you do, we always find plenty we think tastes great - but boy, you're so right about the cakes.  Why are they so terrible??  We stick to the cheesecakes, which are markedly better.

Edit: for what it's worth, after ... 20?? Fantasy class sailings and one Spirit class sailing, we were finally able to book a newer ship (Mardi Gras) and it was like a different world.  The cakes are still awful, though.

Yup, Carnival Imagination and Imagination were pretty rusty but we loved those old ships. They were like coming back to old friends once a month when we'd cruise on them.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Odors in cabin bathrooms are typically easily rectified.  There is a drain, typically underneath the toilet in the floor.  This drain rarely sees water, unless you overflow the shower, so the dry AC air dries out the water in the U-trap.  A glass of water down this drain will remove the smells almost immediately.  This can, and does, happen on any ship, of any age.

Any other tips on the odor? It is an issue with many bathrooms, even when they use bleach. 

As far as allowing folks to give a fair assessment:

I really would like to know what the condition of each Carnival ship is.  I think that would be extremely helpful and may help reduce shocked folks like the OP. Honest assessments with pictures and no emotion attached could go a long way toward helping some folks in this community.

Is it possible to get people to post something like a "Ship condition report" or does someone want to start that type of thread?

• Like 1