It’s official, Grand Cayman is opening for cruising March 21st!

LaRue1975

Carnival still showing our Vista cruise going to Grand Cayman on the 21st of March. The link you provided does not Vista till April. Wish Carnival would tell us if we are getting another sea day or we are going to a different port so we can plan what to do.

54 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

Carnival still showing our Vista cruise going to Grand Cayman on the 21st of March. The link you provided does not Vista till April. Wish Carnival would tell us if we are getting another sea day or we are going to a different port so we can plan what to do.

They won't until much closer because so much can change.  
For example, Key West.  They were not accepting ships, then just small ships.  Carnival was in talks with them. 
John Heald said on Facebook no Carnival ships were stopping there.  The next day he posted that the ban has been lifted and they would be stopping there now. A Carnival ship docked. 

GC is still only allowing ships that are at no more than 40% capacity, and Carnival announced sometime last week that they no longer were restricting capacity.   See:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/carnival-norwegian-cruise-vacations-masks-11646078755

Many cruise lines say they expect to operate their full fleets by summer and increase the number of guests onboard. 

Carnival says the cruise line has no self-imposed capacity restrictions at this time. The cruise line expects many ships to be full headed into spring break.

And for the GC info:   https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-informs-guests-of-itinerary-changes-for-three-ships/66830

One of the most significant and most impactful protocols which may keep cruise ships away even longer from Grand Cayman is the requirement of ships being only at 40% capacity. It’s already widely known that most cruise ships are far beyond that percentage. Authroirierwes on the island will lift the 40% capacity and visitor numbers in the second phase.

Weirdly, they can't even seem to parse the pax max capacities properly in that article:

"The largest ship to arrive will be the Carnival Vista, which has the capacity to carry 4,977 passengers."

That figure is indeed in their list, but that same list in that same article states:

"Carnival Horizon      13 April 2022        5,101"

Shrug.

For clarity, I’m not 100% sure that the individual ships have to only be at 40% capacity.  I think that the island is only letting in 40% of the passengers compared to 2019, or at least I remember reading a statement of that nature in one of the articles or press releases, can’t remember which one though.  

In 2019, some days in peak season could have had six or sometimes more ships in port.  I think the goal is fewer ships at first, not necessarily fewer passengers on each ship.  The end goal is fewer visitors, but I think limiting the number of ships will accomplish that.

However, if your ship/date isn’t on that list, it’s a good guess that you’ll have a replacement port.  Reopening isn’t 100% popular, so I’d wager the government won’t be adding a bunch (if any) more ships to that list.