What is going to happen in Vancouver with 2000 or more people getting off a ship????

Kelownabccan

Thinking of doing a cruise from LA up the coast to Vancouver......I know I need a test to get on the ship in LA or SAN.... but Canadian govt requires a test to fly in by plane from the states or drive in by car from the states........what with arriving by ship???......anyone heard???

17 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Thinking of doing a cruise from LA up the coast to Vancouver......I know I need a test to get on the ship in LA or SAN.... but Canadian govt requires a test to fly in by plane from the states or drive in by car from the states........what with arriving by ship???......anyone heard???

Canadian government has not announced testing requirements for cruise arrivals. Should be available soon.

The Canadian government has not announced the protocol for cruise ships. I personally expect disembarking passengers to follow the same rules as road/ferry arrivals - I.e. negative rapid test within one day, negative PCR test within 72 hours, or positive PCR test between 10-180 days ago. That implies that the ship would do rapid testing of all passengers the day before arrival.  

There may be different protocols for port stops. 

On February 15, the Minister of Transport acknowledged the rapidly approaching cruise season for Canada and stated that information with respect to cruise regulations would be made available "very soon".

6 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

The Canadian government has not announced the protocol for cruise ships. I personally expect disembarking passengers to follow the same rules as road/ferry arrivals - I.e. negative rapid test within one day, negative PCR test within 72 hours, or positive PCR test between 10-180 days ago. That implies that the ship would do rapid testing of all passengers the day before arrival.  

There may be different protocols for port stops. 

But what would happen in the event one of those tests was positive? Can’t disembark in Canada? That is the more interesting question for me..,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

But what would happen in the event one of those tests was positive? Can’t disembark in Canada? That is the more interesting question for me..,

Yep....a big what if.....a free cruise up the coast while waiting to test negative.....haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are on a spring LA to Vancouver cruise and have similar questions.  The ship has a stop in Victoria and I assume this is where a negative antigen test would have to be shown to disembark (provided by Princess?). I notice that the listed port time is 1300 - 2000, which I assume may be to allow time to process all the testing.

It is possible that Canadian entry testing may be dropped all together by May but I think Princess pre-board testing could still be in place. 

4 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Yep....a big what if.....a free cruise up the coast while waiting to test negative.....haha

Interesting idea!! DH and I have an Alaskan cruise in June leaving Vancouver (SOOO looking forward to not having to  fly anywhere). If we test positive before disembarking at end of cruise can we go home to Quarantine? 

Read a govt site about rules....but done on Feb 25 so not new......said all people on the ship would have to have the Arrive Can App......what bull.....can you see most Americans putting that on their phones.....and what about the ships who just go to Victoria for a few hours on their way back to Seattle.....there is going to be lots of backlash if not loosened up .....all the rules.....

31 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Read a govt site about rules....but done on Feb 25 so not new......said all people on the ship would have to have the Arrive Can App......what bull.....can you see most Americans putting that on their phones.....and what about the ships who just go to Victoria for a few hours on their way back to Seattle.....there is going to be lots of backlash if not loosened up .....all the rules.....

Everyone entering Canada, no matter what the mode, currently has to use the ArriveCAN app. I see no reason why American cruisers should be excluded. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dsj22 said:

It is possible that Canadian entry testing may be dropped all together by May but I think Princess pre-board testing could still be in place. 

I think it more likely that the preboarding test will be accepted as the entry test. 

1 hour ago, Kelownabccan said:

Did such passengers not have to complete paper arrival declarations before the app was introduced? 

Nobody has to install the app on a phone. One can use any browser enable device to complete the form online. A receipt will be emailed. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

And frankly if a foreign visitor us not willing to complete a simple questionnaire, I'm quite happy if they don't bother visiting.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, broberts said:

I think it more likely that the preboarding test will be accepted as the entry test. 

Did such passengers not have to complete paper arrival declarations before the app was introduced? 

Nobody has to install the app on a phone. One can use any browser enable device to complete the form online. A receipt will be emailed. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

And frankly if a foreign visitor us not willing to complete a simple questionnaire, I'm quite happy if they don't bother visiting.

It has been a few years since I have done one of these repositioning cruises.  The practice with NCL at least was they collect the Canadian customs declaration card in LA.  

The cruise line sends all the information to Canadian customs ahead of time.  In Victoria, there are some PA announcements on the ship for the people that Canada customs want to see in person and everyone else is cleared with the ship.  The border control people in Victoria are not checking individual passports.   Anyone Canada has a problem with would have been electronically flagged and given to the cruise line before the ship is cleared.

Next day you arrive into Vancouver as a domestic journey from Victoria and there is no passport control of any kind.

Educated guess would be the Canada and the cruise line will use the same pre-departure test as the basis for entry.  The cruise lines and the Canadian authorities have been reviewing all the cruise line COVID plans for weeks.  We will now for certain when they make the announcement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, em-sk said:

It has been a few years since I have done one of these repositioning cruises.  The practice with NCL at least was they collect the Canadian customs declaration card in LA.  

The cruise line sends all the information to Canadian customs ahead of time.  In Victoria, there are some PA announcements on the ship for the people that Canada customs want to see in person and everyone else is cleared with the ship.  The border control people in Victoria are not checking individual passports.   Anyone Canada has a problem with would have been electronically flagged and given to the cruise line before the ship is cleared.

Next day you arrive into Vancouver as a domestic journey from Victoria and there is no passport control of any kind.

Educated guess would be the Canada and the cruise line will use the same pre-departure test as the basis for entry.  The cruise lines and the Canadian authorities have been reviewing all the cruise line COVID plans for weeks.  We will now for certain when they make the announcement. 

It is the timing of the pre-departure test that I was concerned about - we take our antigen test to get on the plane (YVR-LAX) on the 28th, board Princess on the 29th (using the same test result as it is within 2 days) and then we don't arrive in Victoria for another 4 days. That would make our antigen result 5-6 days old. 

23 minutes ago, dsj22 said:

It is the timing of the pre-departure test that I was concerned about - we take our antigen test to get on the plane (YVR-LAX) on the 28th, board Princess on the 29th (using the same test result as it is within 2 days) and then we don't arrive in Victoria for another 4 days. That would make our antigen result 5-6 days old. 

Yep. That is the problem. In my case we stop in San Fran and then have a sea day before Victoria. The ship will have to test onboard or have a concession for a day pass in Victoria. Then be tested at the debarkation port to allow entry into Canada. It is also possible that the Govt is waiting for another week or so to gather more data and also see if the US relaxes entry requirements.

Let us all hope that both governments start to get more relaxed with all this testing.....lots of us "oldsters"....lol.....are triple jabbed and healthy.....would love to cruise but as others have said...still a hassle to fly and get tested and get on ship before two days is up and then what happens here in Van or Vic.....????

We are following Transport Canada closely regarding this issue.......for the 3rd year in a row (first two cruises cancelled due to covid and strict governmental requirements) we are booked on Celebrity for their 12 night round trip out of Boston New England/Canadian cruise with stops in Halifax, Nova Scotia, PEI and an overnight in Quebec City. With the Canadian testing requirements as they currently read, there is no way this itinerary can happen......here's hoping as @Kelownabccan said, 

22 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

that both governments start to get more relaxed with all this testing

New rules out.....

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

still looks like need a test one day or day of cruise to get on ship......also get tested the day before you get off the ship.....I guess the cruise line will do this.....and have the arrive Can app on your phone....still lots to do for a short cruise of 7 days.....Van to Van.....not sure what the US ports are requiring....ie Skagway, Juneau....etc.....???

Still lots of unanswered thoughts.....I guess wait until one or two of the HAL ships  do the 7 day cruise and see what happens.......will do a last minute cruise then....actually the prices seem to have been lower.....perhaps too much for the US market to digest all the rules.....will watch with interest

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, Kelownabccan said:

New rules out.....

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

still looks like need a test one day or day of cruise to get on ship......also get tested the day before you get off the ship.....I guess the cruise line will do this.....and have the arrive Can app on your phone....still lots to do for a short cruise of 7 days.....Van to Van.....not sure what the US ports are requiring....ie Skagway, Juneau....etc.....???

That does not look that bad.  The pre-departure test is required for any cruise.   

The only thing that is a bit of nuisance is the pre-arrival test.  However it states the cruise line is responsible for providing it and to outline how it is going to do it in its ship specific plan.  

7 hours ago, em-sk said:

That does not look that bad.  The pre-departure test is required for any cruise.   

The only thing that is a bit of nuisance is the pre-arrival test.  However it states the cruise line is responsible for providing it and to outline how it is going to do it in its ship specific plan.  

Are they going to test all the passengers on a Seattle to Seattle that stops in Victoria for a few hours.....that is a big ask for the cruise lines.....

4 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Are they going to test all the passengers on a Seattle to Seattle that stops in Victoria for a few hours.....that is a big ask for the cruise lines.....

Sounds like that is the case.