Antigen Test Now Allowed

photopro2

8 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

Viking needs to step up and provide clear guidance on antigen at home testing.    All of the above back and forth just goes to show that what information they do provide is vague.

With most of Europe dropping their entry testing requirement the only remaining entry test which would be required (for Europe) would be Viking which makes a crystal clear direction from Viking that much more important.

We have been on a couple of trips the last 6 months and the Binax AG was accepted by Germany, Spain, and the USA.  Why they are unclear about it being sufficient for Viking is beyond me.

Yes, this is what I've been saying.

If Viking is actually not allowing the BInaxNOW Ag test they could very well be the only cruise line, airline or nation that permits antigen tests to be used as proof of not being infected with COVID-19 that does not accept that test. 

What makes the situation even more unbelievable is that Viking uses saliva PCR tests in which the passenger is not supervised when providing the sample . There are two problems here...first saliva PCR tests themselves are generally considered to not be as accurate as PCR tests that use nasal swabs, and second it's easy to subvert the testing protocol by drinking soda, coffee or tea or eating before providing the saliva sample. https://machias.edu/return/2021/08/02/what-steps-should-i-take-to-help-ensure-my-shield-t3-saliva-pcr-test-is-successful/ 

"

• Drinking soda, coffee or tea within two hours of test time without thoroughly rinsing the mouth with water will make the test unreliable when read by the PCR testing machine. To ensure that your sample can be read, please do not drink soda, coffee, tea or Gatorade one hour before the test, and be sure to rinse with water 30 minutes prior to testing. 
  • Eating any type of food or chewing gum within two hours of test time without thoroughly rinsing your mouth with water also will affect the PCR machine’s ability to read your sample. Please do not eat food or chew gum one hour before the test and, again, be sure to rinse with water 30 minutes prior to testing.

Yet Viking claims to be the cruise industry leader in preventing the spread of COVID on its ships.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, this is what I've been saying.

If Viking is actually not allowing the BInaxNOW Ag test they could very well be the only cruise line, airline or nation that permits antigen tests to be used as proof of not being infected with COVID-19 that does not accept that test. 

What makes the situation even more unbelievable is that Viking uses saliva PCR tests in which the passenger is not supervised when providing the sample . There are two problems here...first saliva PCR tests themselves are generally considered to not be as accurate as PCR tests that use nasal swabs, and second it's easy to subvert the testing protocol by drinking soda, coffee or tea or eating before providing the saliva sample. https://machias.edu/return/2021/08/02/what-steps-should-i-take-to-help-ensure-my-shield-t3-saliva-pcr-test-is-successful/ 

"

• Drinking soda, coffee or tea within two hours of test time without thoroughly rinsing the mouth with water will make the test unreliable when read by the PCR testing machine. To ensure that your sample can be read, please do not drink soda, coffee, tea or Gatorade one hour before the test, and be sure to rinse with water 30 minutes prior to testing. 
  • Eating any type of food or chewing gum within two hours of test time without thoroughly rinsing your mouth with water also will affect the PCR machine’s ability to read your sample. Please do not eat food or chew gum one hour before the test and, again, be sure to rinse with water 30 minutes prior to testing.

Yet Viking claims to be the cruise industry leader in preventing the spread of COVID on its ships.

agree with all the above.  I think Viking initially led the pack for safety but that was months ago and they haven’t kept up with the quickly changing environment

I’ve emailed tellus asking them to say yea or nay in writing on Binax.  Not holding my breath

we depart in three weeks and will probably go the 72 hour pcr route.

If you read the guidelines carefully, Viking says “examples of” — which to me allows the eMed test.  It is certified by the CDC, is proctored and gives you a written report with a QR code.  After beating my head against the testing wall, I ordered the eMed test kits so we don’t lose whole days running around after tests in three different countries.  We board next week so I’ll let you know if they aren’t acceptable.  Tell us has not responded so no answer is no answer.

• Like 1

I emailed tellus this morning. Response I received this afternoon was "Binax NOW ag even though proctored, is NOT lab certified and therefore not acceptable as a Covid test for boarding."

I am going to quit worrying about it and schedule an appointment for a PCR test and be done with it.

Too much conflicting info, stress, and drama to start a cruise with.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gbldcl said:

I emailed tellus this morning. Response I received this afternoon was "Binax NOW ag even though proctored, is NOT lab certified and therefore not acceptable as a Covid test for boarding."

I am going to quit worrying about it and schedule an appointment for a PCR test and be done with it.

Too much conflicting info, stress, and drama to start a cruise with.

Unbelievable.   We also got a response today from tellus who were happy to inform us that the Binax AG was accepted.      They really need to get their communications figured out.    We are going to get a PCR and not chance it and take the binax AG as a backup.

19 hours ago, PRH said:

If you read the guidelines carefully, Viking says “examples of” — which to me allows the eMed test.  It is certified by the CDC, is proctored and gives you a written report with a QR code.  After beating my head against the testing wall, I ordered the eMed test kits so we don’t lose whole days running around after tests in three different countries.  We board next week so I’ll let you know if they aren’t acceptable.  Tell us has not responded so no answer is no answer.

I read an article yesterday from View from the Wing https://viewfromthewing.com/order-4-more-covid-19-tests-free-from-the-postal-service-this-week/ about the second round of free antigen tests being available through the USPS.

Some of the free home tests are eligible to be monitored by Azova with video observation and lab report for $20. https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Azova is one of the companies listed on the Viking approved example list. Current Viking policy: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/covid-19-testing.html

Depending on your needs, this may be cheaper than buying the eMed 6-pack. This is the way we will go.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gingerspike said:

I read an article yesterday from View from the Wing https://viewfromthewing.com/order-4-more-covid-19-tests-free-from-the-postal-service-this-week/ about the second round of free antigen tests being available through the USPS.

Some of the free home tests are eligible to be monitored by Azova with video observation and lab report for $20. https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Azova is one of the companies listed on the Viking approved example list. Current Viking policy: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/covid-19-testing.html

Depending on your needs, this may be cheaper than buying the eMed 6-pack. This is the way we will go.

The Azova test listed on Viking's website is their PCR test that has to be mailed to their lab for processing. The Azova test that you may get from the government mailing for which you can purchase the video observation and lab report is an antigen test. That is not on the Viking website's list of examples of approved tests, nor is any proctored at home antigen test on that list of examples.

Edited by njhorseman

12 hours ago, sfocruiser said:

Unbelievable.   We also got a response today from tellus who were happy to inform us that the Binax AG was accepted.      They really need to get their communications figured out.    We are going to get a PCR and not chance it and take the binax AG as a backup.

How did I know that was going to happen. 🤔

And to further obfusticate the situation, Viking did not even check our supposedly required 72/24 hour test when we boarded the Sky on Feb 12.  We had been traveling independently, and the Viking regs required an additional test beyond the one we had used with VeriFLY to travel to Greece in the first place.  We did an antigen test in Athens <24 hours prior.  At check-in in the terminal, the agent asked if we had had a test, but did not ask for verification or the type of test.  (In fact, I'm not even sure if he DID ask - we may have asked him if wanted to see the test results.)  Granted, the check-in crew were NOT Viking employees, but a firm they contracted for the task, and I imagine they're not 100% up on all the finer details of Viking's policy.

For anyone boarding at Pireaus, I guess I'd say not to sweat the details of that last pre-test too much.  If you get unlucky, and Viking decides they don't like the test you took, there are several pharmacies within walking distance that offer walk-in antigen tests with results emailed in about 15 minutes.  (This had been my backup plan all along.  Just not the way you want to start a vacation...)

I'm all for Viking's no-nonsense approach, but the overkill and lack of specificity is a little crazy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The Azova test listed on Viking's website is their PCR test that has to be mailed to their lab for processing. The Azova test that you may get from the government mailing for which you can purchase the video observation and lab report is an antigen test. That is not on the Viking website's list of examples of approved tests, nor is any proctored at home antigen test on that list of examples.

True, all the examples are PCR tests, but I believe it is reasonable to believe that Viking will take one of these Azova-monitored self-tests.

• Guests may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result)
  • Select at-home tests will meet Viking’s travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result.

To me, the key take-away is the laboratory-certified proof of result. The "Select at-home tests" statement stands alone and does not specify PCR or antigen. If "select at-home tests" are acceptable, it seems that Azova, already approved for PCR self-tests, would be allowed.

I will email tellus for clarification and also ask my TA to get an answer in writing. Let's hope Viking clears this up in their next policy update.

14 minutes ago, gingerspike said:

True, all the examples are PCR tests, but I believe it is reasonable to believe that Viking will take one of these Azova-monitored self-tests.

• Guests may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result)
  • Select at-home tests will meet Viking’s travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result.

To me, the key take-away is the laboratory-certified proof of result. The "Select at-home tests" statement stands alone and does not specify PCR or antigen. If "select at-home tests" are acceptable, it seems that Azova, already approved for PCR self-tests, would be allowed.

I will email tellus for clarification and also ask my TA to get an answer in writing. Let's hope Viking clears this up in their next policy update.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm one who has been saying all along that based on the verbiage on Viking's website and standards set by other cruise lines and countries that permit a negative proctored home antigen test Viking should accept a proctored home antigen test such as the Azova or BinaxNOW Ag .

The problem is that there's been no reliable confirmation of that from Viking, with passengers getting both yes and no answers from Viking, apparently depending on who answers the question. I'd be very reluctant to just assume Viking will accept a proctored home antigen test give the lack of consistent advice from them.

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're preaching to the choir. I'm one who has been saying all along that based on the verbiage on Viking's website and standards set by other cruise lines and countries that permit a negative proctored home antigen test Viking should accept a proctored home antigen test such as the Azova or BinaxNOW Ag .

The problem is that there's been no reliable confirmation of that from Viking, with passengers getting both yes and no answers from Viking, apparently depending on who answers the question. I'd be very reluctant to just assume Viking will accept a proctored home antigen test give the lack of consistent advice from them.

I will add another tidbit from our experience - when I called Viking to ask about the BinaxNOW, the agent I spoke with (don't remember her name) was one of the sharpest of that crew I'd talked to.  I had a couple of other questions that she was right on top of, and when I asked about BinaxNOW, there was no hesitation or "let me check" - she knew the answer right off.  And I was convinced that she wasn't just saying it, because when I pointed out the silliness of an "at-home" test that required mailing in to the lab, she was right on top of that.  Her take (or the official Viking line?) was that these has been introduced for U.S. folks living in more rural areas that were unable to schedule tests locally - which makes a lot of sense.

So what I think happened is that Viking got us BinaxNOW fans' hopes raised when they allowed for at-home testing, but they weren't aiming at us - they were aiming at a different customer segment.  And didn't do a good job of communicating what they were doing.

Ok.  Just got off the phone with Viking.  He told me the eMed Ag test is ok because it verifies your identity (drivers license with picture) (in other words, someone else cannot take your test), supervises the test taking and timing (test must be in the camera at all times) and generates a QR code.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You know, just shoot me now. I thought that getting a QR-coded vaccination certificate for entry into Egypt was hard, but this may turn out to be worse. Because of the timing of our flights and lack of evening testing options here, it will be difficult for us to get a PCR test & results that fit inside the 72hr window.

Have there been any reports of people being denied boarding with a proctored antigen self-test? I've searched but haven't found any.

1 hour ago, PRH said:

Ok.  Just got off the phone with Viking.  He told me the eMed Ag test is ok because it verifies your identity (drivers license with picture) (in other words, someone else cannot take your test), supervises the test taking and timing (test must be in the camera at all times) and generates a QR code.

You may have just saved my life.

thank you

1 hour ago, PRH said:

I would get anything you are told in writing. I did that regarding Viking providing extra testing for us the morning of disembarkation. I was told yes prior to travel (I had explained we were staying an extra night in Bergen and needed to test disembarkation day to have test results to re-enter US). I asked for and got the response in writing. When we boarded the ship I checked at Explorers Desk and was told “no problem”. When I asked again 2 days prior to disembarkation I was told no, that they only do that for people on their extension. I said I had it in writing with a guest services representative name. They asked to see this. I showed them the email that I had printed prior to travel. Then they gave us the disembarkation day testing. Just get it in writing. Even different people once on the ship give different answers. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 4:24 AM, SteelCity Cruiser said:

But, had we not done that in advance we would have traveled all the way to the cruise terminal only to find out we couldn't board.  If for no other reason, pre-trip testing gives an early heads up if you have a problem.

The pre-trip testing also helps to limit symptom free covid positive people from exposing others on the plane to the port.

• Like 2

Just now, lackcreativity said:

The pre-trip testing also helps to limit symptom free covid positive people from exposing others on the plane to the port.

Except that on our first flight I would reckon we will be the only tested passengers.  Life has moved on now.

11 minutes ago, uktog said:

Except that on our first flight I would reckon we will be the only tested passengers.  Life has moved on now.

Yes, we have certainly made progress and things can start changing for the better. However, current flare-ups in Thailand, Hong Kong, and New Zealand show that we may not be done yet. I may be overly cautious, but I would at least like the chance to get ONE trip in before another variant shows up and things head south again! (Please excuse my pessimism, I never caught covid, but the pessimism seems to be a lingering symptom!) 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 11:19 AM, PRH said:

In looking at my BinaxNow AG results from last month, it reads as a lab report, which would meet Viking’s requirementCC6BA0A0-95DF-4C44-8C9E-8B825620C5F1.thumb.png.053fca6469f468babfebfb8d2698ab8b.png

• Like 2

My head hurts from trying to figure out what tests to do for our May 23 Alaska cruise!  We are leaving home on May 21, headed to Vancouver for 2 nights pre cruise.. We need a test to enter Canada, so were planning to get a rapid PCR test on Friday May 20.. sometime early afternoon to be sure we had our results back by Friday night for our flight the next day.  But due to the time difference between east and west coast, technically that will be 3-4 hours beyond the 72 hours before we are boarding the ship... and since we arranged our own airfare, I assume that is what we need to go by, not 72 hours before boarding the plane.  So I guess we need to do ANOTHER rapid test on Saturday morning before heading for the airport?  Does anyone know the cost of these tests?  I don't suppose they are covered by insurance or Medicare?  Or any suggestions of a better way to handle this??  Thanks!

I went on to the Viking chat today to ask about using the BinaxNOW Ag, at home, monitored test. She confirmed it can be used because it provides a lab report (see my earlier post). I will be using these tests and will bring along a copy of the chat.

6398AE86-C3CF-449F-A0CF-2ECC6E12799C.jpeg