Global Entry - Port of Miami

fish_guru

I was wondering if anyone has used Global Entry upon return to the Port of Miami?

I did a search but most of the results were at least 2 years old. At that time the general consensus was that there was Global Entry line signage in the terminal but the lane was almost never open.

My family recently applied for and received Global Entry for a European trip this summer and the customs agent I met with said it could be used at the port however I would have to present the actual card. Anyone out there have any recent info? Will be on Seashore March 19th.

16 hours ago, fish_guru said:

I was wondering if anyone has used Global Entry upon return to the Port of Miami?

I did a search but most of the results were at least 2 years old. At that time the general consensus was that there was Global Entry line signage in the terminal but the lane was almost never open.

My family recently applied for and received Global Entry for a European trip this summer and the customs agent I met with said it could be used at the port however I would have to present the actual card. Anyone out there have any recent info? Will be on Seashore March 19th.

It's been years since I did it and can't remember which American port (maybe NYC?) I arrived at but global entry was ignored- I had to queue with the rest of the cattle lol

• 3 months later...

with facial recognition, IF your face is cleared, you walk straight through.

The Points Guy discussed this in an article from 2021, which mentions that Royal Caribbean is among the cruise lines which have implemented this technology in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. So, it might be worth asking your selected cruise line if the technology is available.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cbp-facial-recognition-us-cruise-ports/

3 hours ago, weltek said:

Ah, probably so. I haven't cruised since Jan. 2018, so facial recognition might be the norm. So do you not have to stop and talk to an agent? 

last time we sailed out of Miami was on a Royal Caribbean ship in Dec 2019. At the end of the cruise, we stopped in front of a camera after we picked up our luggage. Took a second or two for the system to "recognize" us. Once the system found us, we were proceeded to walk out of the terminal. There is no need to take our passport or anything out. Similar system is used by Royal Caribbean  on its ships when we embark/disembark the ship during all the port calls.

Port Canaveral uses the same system when we cruised out of there in Dec 2021.

By the way, we got out Global Entry in Oct 2019 but have yet to use it even though we have cruised out of Port Of Miami, Port of Canaveral, Port of Seattle and Port of LA. The only benefit from GE we do use is the TAS pre-check which save us a lot of time when we fly.

Edited by screenname2004

On 6/20/2022 at 4:54 PM, screenname2004 said:

last time we sailed out of Miami was on a Royal Caribbean ship in Dec 2019. At the end of the cruise, we stopped in front of a camera after we picked up our luggage. Took a second or two for the system to "recognize" us. Once the system found us, we were proceeded to walk out of the terminal. There is no need to take our passport or anything out. Similar system is used by Royal Caribbean  on its ships when we embark/disembark the ship during all the port calls.

Port Canaveral uses the same system when we cruised out of there in Dec 2021.

By the way, we got out Global Entry in Oct 2019 but have yet to use it even though we have cruised out of Port Of Miami, Port of Canaveral, Port of Seattle and Port of LA. The only benefit from GE we do use is the TAS pre-check which save us a lot of time when we fly.

Global Entry is amazing for international flights.  Unless people fly international a couple times per year, it's likely not worth it.  But when we come back from europe, it's so nice just walking right through global entry, hopping in an Uber and off to the house.  Probably home before many people clear the long customs line.

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

Global Entry is amazing for international flights.  Unless people fly international a couple times per year, it's likely not worth it.  But when we come back from europe, it's so nice just walking right through global entry, hopping in an Uber and off to the house.  Probably home before many people clear the long customs line.

Our credit card company reimburse us for the fee we paid for either GE or TSAprecheck. We were going to get TSAprecheck anyway, since it is "free" either way it doesn't make sense not to get GE. Even if we have to pay for it, TSAprecheck is not that much cheaper than GE.

TECHNICALLY GE is an 'airport only' program .....

from the web page: "Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports."

I have seen CBP accept the card flash at cruise ports but it is not standard . . .

That's an interesting distinction, Capt_BJ.  I know Global Entry technology is not (or wasn't) available for entry into the US by train in 2019.

My GUESS is the TSA/CBP people have already reviewed the cruise passenger manifest, the dogs have checked out the luggage, so there's little left to examine

On 6/23/2022 at 7:44 AM, Cienfuegos said:

That's an interesting distinction, Capt_BJ.  I know Global Entry technology is not (or wasn't) available for entry into the US by train in 2019.

My GUESS is the TSA/CBP people have already reviewed the cruise passenger manifest, the dogs have checked out the luggage, so there's little left to examine

Just got off Ovation this morning and it was a quick flash of your passport to an agent and off you went.  Didn't even have the facial recognition.  I think you are right that there just isn't much to examine.

• 2 weeks later...