Semi private excursions

Pre and post cruise  hotels all booked, now off to research ports of calls. My wife and I have not been at all so we are looking for the historical highlights, interesting foods and wines and in general the must sees in this area. Thoughts on these ports and any recommended tour vendors in these ports. in rome we will be there the day before (arriving at 8am) and the day after in barcelona.

I think we are just going to do our own walking tour in rome that way we can go at our own pace since we will be getting in in the morning and may crash early from jet lag.

I appreciate all your help.

Mat

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 07:00 PM

10/2/22 Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

10/3/22 At Sea

10/4/22 Crete (Heraklion), Greece 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

10/5/22 Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) 07:00 AM 02:00 PM

10/6/22 Istanbul, Turkey 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

10/7/22 Mykonos, Greece 12:00 PM 09:00 PM

10/8/22 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 04:00 AM 07:00 PM

10/9/22 Santorini, Greece 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

10/10/22 At Sea

10/11/22 Kotor, Montenegro 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

10/12/22 Sicily (Messina), Italy 12:00 PM 08:00 PM

10/13/22 Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

10/14/22 At Sea

10/15/22 Barcelona, Spain

I haven't been (yet) to Kotor, but can help with Kusadasi and Istanbul.

The main attraction -- and an absolute DO NOT MISS for any stop in Kusadasi is to see the ruins of Ephesus, which are extensively restored. These are a bit less than 30 minutes from the actual town where you dock. You need several hours to tour most of the major buildings within the site.

Private tours are readily available although they seem to change names every few years and no one has been to this port in  while due to the pandemic. Private tours often combine Ephesus with visits to other nearby sites such as the Temple of Aphrodite, the nearby archaeological museum (in Selcuk) which has the excavated items from Ephesus, or other archaeological sites such as Didyma, Miletus or Priene. Ship tours will also be offered.

Whatever tour you take, be sure it includes the "Terrace Houses" at Ephesus -- this is a special extra-cost inside visit to a covered/protected area where archaeologists are excavating and restoring residences of the wealthy -- you'll see mosaics, frescoes, etc. The extra charge isn't much and well worth it. 

If you want more info on any of the other sites, just search by name -- I've described them all several times.

Istanbul is a major city, like Rome. Hard to do in a single day, so you will need to prioritize what you most want to see and do. The main historic area is called Sultanahmet. It's easy to get to on your own from the ship using the local tram. Many posts here describe how to do this if you search.  A private tour would be a good alternative if you prefer that. Bus tours here are difficult because of the traffic. You will waste a lot of time sitting in traffic going from site to site when you could easily and much faster cover the distances on foot in a smaller party/private tour.

The top sites there include:

• Haghia Sofia -- originally built by the Romans after Christianity was legalized, then taken over by the Turks, then a museum (and now a mosque again...)  It is a stunning example of an extremely well preserved building from the late Empire with intricate design details, mosaics, and more. It's Istanbul's answer to the earlier Pantheon in Rome.  I'd rate it the most MUST SEE of many must-sees here.
  • The "Blue Mosque" -- So called for the blue tiles that decorate its interior, the proper name is the Sultan Ahmet mosque (the Sultan for which this entire district is named).  While worth a visit, there are other mosques I like more in Istanbul, such as the Suleymaniye mosque. However, it is very close to Haghia Sofia -- the two are just across from each other. 
  • The Hippodrome -- adjacent to both Haghia Sofia and the Blue Mosque is the ancient Roman hippodrome, still clearly visible. There are several monuments in its center (spina) that are worth a look.
  • Topkapi Palace -- If you're more interested in the Turkish era of Istanbul's history (which began in the 15th century), visit Topkapi, just a few blocks from Haghia Sophia, toward the water. The large palace complex really needs a tour to get the most out of it, and tours are offered throughout the day (sign up at ticket desk). Topkapi is a series of individual areas, the most popular are the harem quarters and the museum, where you can see the famous Topkapi dagger. But there are also the kitchens, a gallery of portraits of various sultans, and more...
  • Grand Bazaar -- Most people have heard of the famous Grand Bazaar although it's very touristy today unless one is able to get well within its maze of shops. There are still a few decent craftsmen and interesting offerings but it may take more time than you have to find them. More interesting visually (although still touristy) is the so-called Egyptian or Spice Bazaar, which is closer to the bridge that connects Sultanahmet with the area near the port. 
  • Basilica Cistern (-- This stop is extremely interesting, visual and fun and doesn't take long. It is also close to Haghia Sophia but in the opposite direction of Topkapi Palace. Basically it is a well-preserved cistern that held water for the Palace quarter of the city; constructed by the Romans in the early days of Constantinople. You've seen it featured in films from James Bond to the latest installment of the Dan Brown franchise, "Inferno".

This just scratches the surface. There is also a very good archaeological museum adjacent to Topkapi Palace, other interesting mosques, a museum of Islamic art near the hippodrome, and endless carpet and pottery stores. Not to mention excellent food. 

Warning -- do not get caught in a major carpet sales pitch. You'll find it hard to leave and miss out on all Istanbul has to offer. 

• Like 2

We really enjoyed using M tours in kotor, we got a great overview of the area, a visit to the island church. As it’s private it can be tailored to your wants.

Levant Solmaz was a great guide in Ephesus and we use Lale Kosygin in Istanbul, both highly recommended. 
Don’t miss Knossos in Heraklion, the museum in Heraklion after if you’re interested.  

On 3/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, biggytaz said:

Pre and post cruise  hotels all booked, now off to research ports of calls. My wife and I have not been at all so we are looking for the historical highlights, interesting foods and wines and in general the must sees in this area. Thoughts on these ports and any recommended tour vendors in these ports. in rome we will be there the day before (arriving at 8am) and the day after in barcelona.

I think we are just going to do our own walking tour in rome that way we can go at our own pace since we will be getting in in the morning and may crash early from jet lag.

I appreciate all your help.

Mat

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 07:00 PM

10/2/22 Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

10/3/22 At Sea

10/4/22 Crete (Heraklion), Greece 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

10/5/22 Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) 07:00 AM 02:00 PM

10/6/22 Istanbul, Turkey 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

10/7/22 Mykonos, Greece 12:00 PM 09:00 PM

10/8/22 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 04:00 AM 07:00 PM

10/9/22 Santorini, Greece 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

10/10/22 At Sea

10/11/22 Kotor, Montenegro 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

10/12/22 Sicily (Messina), Italy 12:00 PM 08:00 PM

10/13/22 Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

10/14/22 At Sea

10/15/22 Barcelona, Spain

In Kotor we did a half day car tour and shared with 2 people on our ship. I was fascinated by the little church on an islet out in the Bay of Kotor. In the afternoon I just walked around the town, plus walked partway up a mountain to another church, with views of Kotor and the ship beneath me.  Then I made sure I was outside around dust/sunset, as the ship was cruising out through the bay of Kotor - beautiful.   You will likely dock right in the heart of Kotor.

In Mykonos I just walked around - my kind of place for that. 

In Naples I went off on my own adventure in the city.  If there's a next time I may go to Capri if it's not horribly far from Naples.  But I loved Naples - lots to see and do there. From Sorrento we went to Pompeii on our own (train).

Santorini is a favorite for photography - Oia and Fira.  We rent a 4 wheeled visitor there and explore. 

Istanbul is so awesome, it's hard to pick one thing to do.  But we started off by taking a tram down to Sultanahmet to walk around Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, etc. Loved the Eminonu area. 

In Kusadasi we went on a group tour to Ephesus - a must thing for Kusadasi.  

Haven't been to Heraklion or Messina.

On 3/5/2022 at 10:18 PM, riffatsea said:

biggytaz,Have you posted on the roll call for your specific cruise?

I ask because  that way you can join with ot h ers to book tours

yes, almost no action at all on roll call

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow travelers,

I’m interested in booking a tour to Ephesus.  All of the tours I see mention stopping for the carpet presentation and I’m not interested.  I have also visited Istanbul and found it difficult to avoid the carpet sales pitch.  Any suggestions on how to avoid this, to politely move on quickly?  I’d rather spend the little time I have in port seeing the sites, I’m not looking to engage in talks about carpets or seeing their presentation.  

14 hours ago, movin12 said:

Hello fellow travelers,

I’m interested in booking a tour to Ephesus.  All of the tours I see mention stopping for the carpet presentation and I’m not interested.  I have also visited Istanbul and found it difficult to avoid the carpet sales pitch.  Any suggestions on how to avoid this, to politely move on quickly?  I’d rather spend the little time I have in port seeing the sites, I’m not looking to engage in talks about carpets or seeing their presentation.  

There are a few countries or cities in which tour guides are required to take people shopping. Maybe that applies in Turkey or Kusadasi. But I've been subjected to such a demo and at least it only took a half hour or so. I just walked around a little and that was that. I don't remember one in Ephesus or Kusadasi but that may have been where it was. In Istanbul the carpet sellers were especially persistent but we just said no and kept walking, even if they kept following us. All I can advise is to just ignore them.

15 hours ago, movin12 said:

Hello fellow travelers,

If you're booking a private tour (e.g., just for you and your family or group), then have a firm conversation by email with the provider before you book. Make sure you get them to agree to what you want in writing and then go over it with the guide/driver on the day of the tour.

Often they will dangle the carrot that they'll give you a free lunch if you go to the carpet demo. If it's a half-day or just a bit more, tell them you're happy to just skip lunch. 

The operators in Turkey are frustrating to deal with. They will TRY to tell you it is required to make a stop at these "state-sponsored" schools or factories. It's just not true...

• Like 1

Thanks for responding, at least on a group tour you can fade in the background but a private you’re stuck.  Good advice making it clear on a private what you don’t want.  Unfortunately I’m a bit weak and not wanting to be rude when it comes to this sort of thing.

7 minutes ago, movin12 said:

Good advice making it clear on a private what you don’t want.  Unfortunately I’m a bit weak and not wanting to be rude when it comes to this sort of thing.

If you're paying for a private tour, they should accommodate you. 

You don't feel guilty going into a restaurant and telling them to hold the mayo, right?

• Like 1