Christine Duffy I am Not Happy

phoneman69

On 3/6/2022 at 1:57 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

You didn't lose any money, you remain whole and have a bonus to boot. About the best they can do IMO. Feelings aside, they did right by you IMO. Mrs. Duffy, and the cruise industry as whole, are treading water. They need to make moves. It may suck, but they need to pivot and make profit to survive. 

Well i guess we differ in option then. Yes i did not loose any money. What i lost was a port of call that i can not find a cruise that does those ports together again with Carnival. The $100.00 OBC i don't believe is the BEST they can do. Believe me i want Carnival to survive and thrive but do it the proper way.

If we want to be able to book our cruises long in advance, and I for one want that, then you have to expect that sometimes cruises over a year out are going to have changes. They could be more certain the cruises you book were going to happen as planned if they didn't take bookings more than 6 to 9 months in advance. But I much prefer being able to book longer in advance even knowing occasionally there will be a change.

If they changed my booking only a few months before the cruise I'd have more of a gripe. But even then, it would depend on the compensation they offered. If I thought it was good I might not mind at all.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

We were going on the Freedom to Alaska (last cruise of the season) and then staying onboard for the Panama cruise and finally docking in Miami.  Then I got that infamous email people are talking about.  I'm actually happy with the Spirit replacing the Freedom.  We did the Spirit to Hawaii and loved it.  I'm not too thrilled with the cruise ending in New Orleans vs Miami though as we now have to pay for air to get back home (we live in Florida).  But, my world will continue to rotate.  There are worse problems going on.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, Cushing985 said:

We were going on the Freedom to Alaska (last cruise of the season) and then staying onboard for the Panama cruise and finally docking in Miami.  Then I got that infamous email people are talking about.  I'm actually happy with the Spirit replacing the Freedom.  We did the Spirit to Hawaii and loved it.  I'm not too thrilled with the cruise ending in New Orleans vs Miami though as we now have to pay for air to get back home (we live in Florida).  But, my world will continue to rotate.  There are worse problems going on.

So now you have an Extra Cost for airfare that you did not have before. I hope you received some type of OBC for your changes that may help to offset your cost of airfare. My world will continue as well it just so DAM INCONVENIENT.

On 3/6/2022 at 6:50 AM, CruisingFromLA said:

Do you mean an itinerary like this one below? It is missing one port, but it is similar enough. It might not be the original dates you wanted, but it is on the newer, bigger Carnival Celebration vs the older and smaller Carnival Freedom. In addition, the email states "your cruise rate will be protected on a comparable duration, in similar accommodations". Therefore, you will be ahead as I am assuming the cruise on the Celebration will most likely be more expensive. Add the $100 OBC then I see this as a win. Pick the Dec 19th cruise, it will be a nice Christmas present for the family.

1922797475_Screenshot_20220306-063912_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.96ec0649ac8478f0bf6ff386f02a8d60.jpg

This is absolutely brilliant, thank you for taking the time to help the OP turn lemons into lemonade.  The OP sailing isn't the first cancelled sailing nor will it be the last...

I know there is a lot of general disappointment about the change from Freedom to Spirit BUT, I was recently on Freedom and she’s a worn out gal. They can’t hide her age. Her mechanics shake and shudder like crazy during many movements. The layout and amenities are great but she needs some work! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2022 at 4:39 AM, WIChick27 said:

I know there is a lot of general disappointment about the change from Freedom to Spirit BUT, I was recently on Freedom and she’s a worn out gal. They can’t hide her age. Her mechanics shake and shudder like crazy during many movements. The layout and amenities are great but she needs some work! 

Spirit is older than Freedom by 6 years

I understand your disappointment.  We booked the Freedom for May 2023, Alaska in March of 2021.  It was a family cruise celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary.  We also booked several years in advance so that we could get specific cabins together and save the needed monies for travel, excursions and so forth (we live on the east coast).  When we got our new cabin assignments, we were all over the ship. Since it was a smaller ship, Carnival was not able to give us cabins together.   Sometimes, it does take several years of planning and when things start to come apart at the seams, it is upsetting.  I just wanted to say, it is okay to feel sad.  We choose to rebook on the Celebration and know we will have a great time.  Find your new cruise and do not be made to feel bad because you are disappointed. Take care 😊

You are lucky to receive an email from  Carnival. We are in Australia and only found out about the changes a month ago. We contacted our TA who had heard nothing about all the changes -  we advised them. The TA tried for almost 4 weeks before Carnival advised that our cruise for 5 October 23 was cancelled. They offered us no OBC as compensation. We were doing a  B2B,  Panama Canal followed by Eastern Caribbean. 

Our Panama cruise now ends in New Orleans and there is no B2B.  We are now doing a Western Caribbean on 8 October. So we now have the expense of 3 nights accommodation in New Orleans between cruises.

This is a big holiday for me, my 2 adult sons and my SIL and the dates are non negotiable.

Any cruise is a good cruise but we were really looking forward to the Eastern itinerary. What I am extremely disappointed with is that Carnival doesn't  seem to want to offer OBC to Australian cruisers although it is to cruisers in USA.

• Like 1

There is a drastic difference in having your cruise in 3 weeks canceled vs over a year. They gave you price protection and $100 OBC. That is more than fair. Now, you just have to find what is available for your dates. I don't recall seeing the details of your specific dates, but if you publish them, I am sure the sleuths would be able to find a similar itinerary.