Just been downgraded from booked and allocated cabin!!!

Fozzie100

9 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

The option to choose your cabin location and number is the only upgrade option for which P&O charge a premium price, ie select fare ( the clue is in the name) Whether they like it or not, this is an acknowledgment by the company that they know this is an important factor for some passengers and which will command a premium price. Should circumstances subsequently require a select fare passenger to be moved, then the  honourable thing to do is to offer the people affected a choice. They should be contacted by phone and  given the alternative cabin numbers which are available. Should none of them prove to be suitable, then a full refund should be offered. 
As one of their customers who always choose select fare, there is no way I am going to cruise whilst this practice of moving cabins continues. 

We always choose select fare and the extra cost is sometimes considerable, but worth it. Reading back through this thread I find P&O's actions, well strange, for want of a better word, and each complaint is dealt with differently, but that's no surprise really.  What I find most unpalatable is the most inconsiderate way that the select bookings are moved without any thought or discussion, sometimes to the opposite of what was originally booked with a 'take it or leave it attitude.

Why????.    There has to be a reason, so why are P&O being so secretive? 

I have always been loyal to P&O and gave them the benefit of the doubt, but I can find no logical reason for this, except maybe only having alternate cabins occupied (covid?) If so why not just say?

You pays your money, you makes your choice, and if P&O keep going down this slippery slope, I shall be taking my money and choosing another cruise line.

Avril

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

The option to choose your cabin location and number is the only upgrade option for which P&O charge a premium price, ie select fare ( the clue is in the name) Whether they like it or not, this is an acknowledgment by the company that they know this is an important factor for some passengers and which will command a premium price. Should circumstances subsequently require a select fare passenger to be moved, then the  honourable thing to do is to offer the people affected a choice. They should be contacted by phone and  given the alternative cabin numbers which are available. Should none of them prove to be suitable, then a full refund should be offered. 
As one of their customers who always choose select fare, there is no way I am going to cruise whilst this practice of moving cabins continues. 

You'd think wouldn't you?

Sorry if I have asked this before --- I blame my age.

I have asked P&O and not got an answer.

IF we are told that the cabin we have booked select fare is not available after we have paid in full what happens?

Do we get the chance to move to another cruise of our choice?

If so we would move to 2024 I suppose as we have cruises booked for 2023.

What we have learned during Covid is that we can live without a cruise ----

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

What we have learned during Covid is that we can live without a cruise ----

I think you’ve absolutely hit the nail on the head there. What amazes me is that P&O don’t yet seem to appreciate that - yet.

When I first joined this extraordinarily useful forum, around 10 years ago, criticism of P&O was very unusual, and frequently shot down in flames by regulars here.  Something’s changed - and I don’t think it’s the posters.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you’ve absolutely hit the nail on the head there. What amazes me is that P&O don’t yet seem to appreciate that - yet.

When I first joined this extraordinarily useful forum, around 10 years ago, criticism of P&O was very unusual, and frequently shot down in flames by regulars here.  Something’s changed - and I don’t think it’s the posters.

This is very true. We have enjoyed wonderful holidays in Jersey for the last two years. We have still booked again for this year and would not be upset at spending cruise money there if our cruises go pear shaped.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:49 PM, terrierjohn said:

Were these cabins all together or on different decks? If the former then surely this cannot be due to a change in the quarantine zone.

Yes. definitely heard of different decks and someone midships has been moved.

Ironically we have just been revisiting the idea of a coach holiday to Lake Garda. We have done some in the past and had an amazing time ........ P&O need to realise that this really is a time of change where people are reflecting on their choices. We also have a beautiful static caravan by the sea so not paying for our cruise in full when the time comes and walking away is not a big deal for us at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Presto2 said:

Ironically we have just been revisiting the idea of a coach holiday to Lake Garda. We have done some in the past and had an amazing time ........ P&O need to realise that this really is a time of change where people are reflecting on their choices. We also have a beautiful static caravan by the sea so not paying for our cruise in full when the time comes and walking away is not a big deal for us at all.

We have a great coach company near us, Parry's International. We have done many holidays with them and it may be the time to look again. They do a tour to Lake Garda which was our very first holiday with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danamis said:

We have a great coach company near us, Parry's International. We have done many holidays with them and it may be the time to look again. They do a tour to Lake Garda which was our very first holiday with them.

Brill, off to look 🙂

Its like the olden days --- chilling out by researching 

On 3/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, terrierjohn said:

I thought Moley claimed it was due to these bookings having made made prior to allocation of the quarantine zones, and the reason P&O have not advised the passengers about the new situation is that they hoped it might change before the cruise date, so they have left it till the last minute to advise passengers.

It sounds plausible but I still think it would have better PR  to advise passengers as soon as they knew, and then leave it to them to decide if they changed cabin, left it in the hope things might change, or moved their booking.

That is still my understanding and yes, better ways to go about it from a PR point of view.

As much as people hate it, they all agree to this in making a booking:

Whilst P&O Cruises will do its best not to cancel or to make any alteration to a Package after a booking has been made, such changes are sometimes necessary. Most alterations made by P&O Cruises will not be significant and P&O Cruises has the right to make such alterations without paying the Guest compensation. Any alterations made by P&O Cruises to their pre and post departure requirements and procedures for reasons of health and safety (such as any alterations required in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)) are  unlikely to constitute significant alterations and such alterations do not give the Guest the right to compensation or the right to cancel the Package without charge.

I'm not saying its right but changing a room because it now falls into a previously undefined quarantine zone, will be covered by a change to the procedures for health and safety.

P&O will also state that select fare provides the following benefits, only 1 of which relates to cabins:

• Choice of cabin location and first priority for upgrades (subject to availability)

• First priority for dining style on ships offering both freedom and Club Dining, and first priority for seating time and table size for Club Dining

• A choice of on-board spending money, car parking in Southampton or return coach travel to Southampton

• Shuttle buses in port (where they are provided by P&O Cruises)

• Flexibility to change your booking

Please note that that whole first line is subject to availability, otherwise my legal mind would expect a comma after the word location. Therefore the argument could be made that the cabin is not available therefore you can no longer chose it. It does not say "Cabin choice guaranteed".

Additionally, many select price passengers never chose their cabins. Those who book online only chose their cabins if they select the option even if booking select fare. Additionally, sometimes there are not enough currently available cabins to let every select fare booking chose their cabin.

People will hate me for explaining this but I'm not defending P&O, just setting out my understanding of why cruise lines (and other travel firms) word things very carefully.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We are having similar thoughts, after 25 years and almost 50 cruises we were considering cutting back on cruising and just sticking to our bucket list. We do have several cruises booked, most of them are rescheduling of lost cruises. We are scheduled for a river cruise in June as this is another angle we are looking at, the cost of 2 weeks is more than we usually pay for a 35 night Caribbean/USA cruise, however we feel we have pretty much done the Caribbean to death. Since covid we have taken 2 coach trips in England with another in a couple of weeks. We have plans for several more. We have just had 4 weeks self catering in Lanzagrote which we really enjoyed and see that as a future winter holiday plan. We have loved cruising and been to some fabulous places but feel we still have places to see that are not well serviced by ships. We are seeing our future travel style as a new adventure so we will see how things pan out over the next few years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

That is still my understanding and yes, better ways to go about it from a PR point of view.

Whilst P&O Cruises will do its best not to cancel or to make any alteration to a Package after a booking has been made, such changes are sometimes necessary. Most alterations made by P&O Cruises will not be significant and P&O Cruises has the right to make such alterations without paying the Guest compensation. Any alterations made by P&O Cruises to their pre and post departure requirements and procedures for reasons of health and safety (such as any alterations required in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)) are  unlikely to constitute significant alterations and such alterations do not give the Guest the right to compensation or the right to cancel the Package without charge.

I'm not saying its right but changing a room because it now falls into a previously undefined quarantine zone, will be covered by a change to the procedures for health and safety.

P&O will also state that select fare provides the following benefits, only 1 of which relates to cabins:

• Choice of cabin location and first priority for upgrades (subject to availability)

• First priority for dining style on ships offering both freedom and Club Dining, and first priority for seating time and table size for Club Dining

• A choice of on-board spending money, car parking in Southampton or return coach travel to Southampton

Please note that that whole first line is subject to availability, otherwise my legal mind would expect a comma after the word location. Therefore the argument could be made that the cabin is not available therefore you can no longer chose it. It does not say "Cabin choice guaranteed".

Additionally, many select price passengers never chose their cabins. Those who book online only chose their cabins if they select the option even if booking select fare. Additionally, sometimes there are not enough currently available cabins to let every select fare booking chose their cabin.

People will hate me for explaining this but I'm not defending P&O, just setting out my understanding of why cruise lines (and other travel firms) word things very carefully.

Thanks for this - it is really helpful. I suppose I just want to know what would happen if the cabin we want is not available and they need to move us. We always book select so if we can move to another cruise and we have to move to 2024 that is ok I suppose. 

Have to say, knowing that our cabin is currently used for Covid (P&O agreed with this) then I am uneasy about paying up in full. 

Just sad to be honest - we have purchased 4 excursions so we really do want to go ... but 

And it is a big 'but'

Thanks again

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

We caught the train to lake Garda and holidayed there Another time we went on a rail holiday to Lake Como.A cruise is great in that you only have to unpack once but there are places inland that are beautiful that are difficult to get to from a cruise ship.We have got a couple of cruises booked this year but the appeal is diminishing due to covid and certain cruise companies treatment of the customer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We caught the train to lake Garda and holidayed there Another time we went on a rail holiday to Lake Como.A cruise is great in that you only have to unpack once but there are places inland that are beautiful that are difficult to get to from a cruise ship.We have got a couple of cruises booked this year but the appeal is diminishing due to covid and certain cruise companies treatment of the customer

We've stayed in Lake Garda 3 times - twice in Riva and once a 2 centre stay Bardolino and Riva ----- beautiful. We keep looking for a cruise that does a 2 centre stay there and a cruise

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks for this - it is really helpful. I suppose I just want to know what would happen if the cabin we want is not available and they need to move us. We always book select so if we can move to another cruise and we have to move to 2024 that is ok I suppose. 

Have to say, knowing that our cabin is currently used for Covid (P&O agreed with this) then I am uneasy about paying up in full. 

Just sad to be honest - we have purchased 4 excursions so we really do want to go ... but 

And it is a big 'but'

Thanks again

I am in the same position, I paid select price and pre-registered for this particular accessible cabin, there are only two of them. I know for definite they are both in isolation zone, confirmed by a friend who has just disembarked. I don’t know whether to wait and see if isolation cabins will be a thing of the past or take a risk of been moved to a cabin I don’t want 

Michelle

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Additionally, many select price passengers never chose their cabins

Sorry, I don't understand this. Admittedly I book through a TA, but if I pay for a select fare, I get to choose a precise cabin.  

If I am subsequently moved from a cabin that I have paid for, surely P&O are in breach of contract? 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

many select price passengers never chose their cabins

So those passengers are more concerned about the other 'perks' of a select booking. Those who choose a specific cabin ARE concerned about the cabin location so don't treat them just like the rest.

For example passengers might choose the coach to terminal option. Is this going to be withdrawn at the last minute too!

Choosing a select fare gives you some priority on choosing dining type. I presume that on Iona the select fare premium is reduced because that dining choice is not available 🙄

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

So those passengers are more concerned about the other 'perks' of a select booking. Those who choose a specific cabin ARE concerned about the cabin location so don't treat them just like the rest.

For example passengers might choose the coach to terminal option. Is this going to be withdrawn at the last minute too!

Choosing a select fare gives you some priority on choosing dining type. I presume that on Iona the select fare premium is reduced because that dining choice is not available 🙄

Well said.  

We choose select fares for two reasons. Seiecting our cabin location and being able to choose anytime dining.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I don't understand this. Admittedly I book through a TA, but if I pay for a select fare, I get to choose a precise cabin.  

If I am subsequently moved from a cabin that I have paid for, surely P&O are in breach of contract? 

I'm told by both P&O and my t/a when I'm booking that select fare is more expensive precisely because I can book my chosen cabin and because of the buses in port.  If Molecrochip is correct why on earth would I be expected to pay £2,000 more for my cabin on Britannia in the Caribbean where even the latter aren't require?  Not sure about breach of contract but I would guess ASA wouldn't be impressed if these "perks" p&o advertise don't actually exist.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I appreciate your comments and views on this - I’m sure we all do, as always.

Companies can’t always rely on their terms and conditions though, as I’m sure you’ll appreciate.  If those terms are deemed to be unfair, they provide little protection. Whether that’s the case here, who knows, short of a court decision, but it’s a distinct possibility, but doubtless would be covered over by yet another P&O non-disclosure agreement.

Which?, as always, provide a useful summary:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/there-s-an-unfair-term-in-my-contract-how-can-i-complain-and-get-my-money-back-aeHsV7t85zl5

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I do find it interesting this doesn't seem to be happening to anyone on the CC boards for Cunard, Celebrity, Princess and NCL - these are the only ones I'm following as my family and I have cruises reserved with these companies.  Does anyone know if any other cruise line is handling things the same way as P&O?

As an aside my mystery Aurora cabin has been resolved by my allocation overnight - the upgrade fairy has been and visited us so nothing to do with quarantine cabins.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As an aside my mystery Aurora cabin has been resolved by my allocation overnight - the upgrade fairy has been and visited us so nothing to do with quarantine cabins.

And so the mystery deepens😏

Avril