Just been downgraded from booked and allocated cabin!!!

Fozzie100

Well it's all gone very quiet on the cabin cancellation front. This is in spite of phoning and emailing P and O. Our family still have not been allocated replacement cabins and as far as we know we are still in the cabin which would have been next door to them. No logic if this is quarantine area.

I'm very disappointed with the way P&O have handled this.

1 hour ago, Danamis said:

Well it's all gone very quiet on the cabin cancellation front. This is in spite of phoning and emailing P and O. Our family still have not been allocated replacement cabins and as far as we know we are still in the cabin which would have been next door to them. No logic if this is quarantine area.

We are on the 14th April sailing (7nights). Ive have also raised a complaint into P&O and have not received any sort of acknowledgment or reply!!!.  May be time to start the social media channels 

Edited by f1005705

4 hours ago, f1005705 said:

We are on the 14th April sailing (7nights). Ive have also raised a complaint into P&O and have not received any sort of acknowledgment or reply!!!.  May be time to start the social media channels 

P and O have been dreadful at replying to emails lately. I have had more luck getting in touch with Carnival. My complaint could take 28 days to sort out and we go on that cruise on April 16th... I agree. Social media may be the way to go.

Well we sent a message to P&O and asked what would happen if we could not have our cabin and we got a reply that did not answer our question. We sent a message back asking what would happen if we did not want the cabin we were moved to (as our cabin is currently an isolation cabin). We got this reply and I half understand it. I get that they can not predict the future but surely they can tell us what the current situation is ... all as clear as mud. Is it us being dense ????????  Can someone translate the bit in bold please.

"If under extremely unfortunate circumstances we had to amend your cabin 
number, any changes to your terms and conditions may depend on how 
significant the change, 

We would try our best to accommodate a cabin as the same grade chosen, 
however in the unfortunate incident your cabin may be downgraded you 
would be contacted and informed of any compensation or terms and 
conditions, 

Please understand we cannot confirm what your terms and conditions may be 
if your cabin is affected by isolation cabin protocols. 

I appreciate this may not be the response you hoped for and I apologise 
for any inconvenience caused.'

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Well we sent a message to P&O and asked what would happen if we could not have our cabin and we got a reply that did not answer our question. We sent a message back asking what would happen if we did not want the cabin we were moved to (as our cabin is currently an isolation cabin). We got this reply and I half understand it. I get that they can not predict the future but surely they can tell us what the current situation is ... all as clear as mud. Is it us being dense ????????  Can someone translate the bit in bold please.

"If under extremely unfortunate circumstances we had to amend your cabin 
number, any changes to your terms and conditions may depend on how 
significant the change, 

We would try our best to accommodate a cabin as the same grade chosen, 
however in the unfortunate incident your cabin may be downgraded you 
would be contacted and informed of any compensation or terms and 
conditions, 

Please understand we cannot confirm what your terms and conditions may be 
if your cabin is affected by isolation cabin protocols. 

I appreciate this may not be the response you hoped for and I apologise 
for any inconvenience caused.'

I think what they are saying is that until they know both if you are to be moved and also which cabin (grade) you would be moved to, they can't say what you would be entitled to. P&O - and to be fair, many other organisations - really don't like committing to anything in advance of a situation arising...

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I think what they are saying is that until they know both if you are to be moved and also which cabin (grade) you would be moved to, they can't say what you would be entitled to. P&O - and to be fair, many other organisations - really don't like committing to anything in advance of a situation arising...

Thanks - have replied and asked them what is happening now in relation to the scenario we sent them in our original e-mail. I suppose the reason we are edgy is because we did not enjoy our last cruise on Ventura and said we would give her another go as long as we had a cabin that we knew we would like (having had one similar on Azura). The cabin means a lot to us so moving us to something we had not chosen (and probably  not in a great location as most will be gone by then as it is school holidays) is a deal breaker.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 11:06 AM, Danamis said:

You have aft view cabins if I've followed correctly. Is this the case that at least one cabin is even numbered and one cabin odd numbered? If this is the case, has only the odd or even been moved?

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

But since Moley has said that quarantine zones are fixed, then they know now if a booked cabin will not be available, unless or until quarantine is ended, which appears not to be anytime soon.  They could also provide an indication of the likely alternative cabin( s ) that are available.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 12:44 PM, f1005705 said:

Just had a reply from P&O after sending email to Paul Ludlow… effectively saying ‘looks like your all sorted as you have accepted two cabins have a nice holiday’.  They have totally missed out the points I raised around not being happy….  I can’t believe the attitude of the company… we are just a number to them and not valued guests who give them repeat business year after year…shocking

It's an absolute scandal the way that P and O are taking around £1000 extra per person ostensibly so that they can choose their cabin and then are treating them with complete disdain when that cabin is needed for quarantine purposes.  They refuse to respond for weeks on end and when they eventually do they completely ignore any questions and points you have made - just quote current terms and conditions regarding covid and saying they're covered for whatever they choose to do.

It just isn't good enough, particularly if you booked under the previous t & c's.  They also forget that customers are protected by the t & c's too.  They are advertising a service which they refuse to provide and blaming it on covid but that doesn't stop it from being against the law.  Passengers are entitled to a refund if they choose or some sort of effort being made to supply acceptable cabins and it just isn't happening.

I'm currently writing to Watchdog, Martin Lewis and various papers to get their help and let it be known what is going on.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fozzie100 said:

Just had a reply from P&O after sending email to Paul Ludlow… effectively saying ‘looks like your all sorted as you have accepted two cabins have a nice holiday’.  They have totally missed out the points I raised around not being happy….  I can’t believe the attitude of the company… we are just a number to them and not valued guests who give them repeat business year after year…shocking

Like all companies they are careful what they out in writing. I suppose they get that but our email response made no sense to me at all. (I know what the original questions were).

We just want to know what would happen IF they swap our cabin and we don't want it. It can't be that difficult. To tell us they don't know really isn't good enough ... just feel very edgy. Hubby says I would normally be excited about our cruise --- even though we have booked excursions etc I really can't get excited about it as I get the feeling that we won't be going and rather than looking forward to it I am stressing because no one is being 'up front'.

Looking forward to a cruise is as much of the experience as being there - being unsure if they are going to take our money and then move us is not really floating my boat. 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

It's an absolute scandal the way that P and O are taking around £1000 extra per person ostensibly so that they can choose their cabin and then are treating them with complete disdain when that cabin is needed for quarantine purposes.  They refuse to respond for weeks on end and when they eventually do they completely ignore any questions and points you have made - just quote current terms and conditions regarding covid and saying they're covered for whatever they choose to do.

It just isn't good enough, particularly if you booked under the previous t & c's.  They also forget that customers are protected by the t & c's too.  They are advertising a service which they refuse to provide and blaming it on covid but that doesn't stop it from being against the law.  Passengers are entitled to a refund if they choose or some sort of effort being made to supply acceptable cabins and it just isn't happening.

I'm currently writing to Watchdog, Martin Lewis and various papers to get their help and let it be known what is going on.

Spot on. The more I think about it, we have a cabin on a select fa which means we can pick our cabin. Currently the cabin is being used as an isolation cabin apparently (they agreed) but no one at P&O can tell me what will happen if we have paid in full and the cabin is not available. They do not know what our terms and conditions will be if they decide to downgrade the cabin and in effect give us a cruise we certainly did not want and would NOT have booked other than for the cabin we paid select for.

It is now making me cross

North Wales is looking more and more appealing .......... 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Spot on. The more I think about it, we have a cabin on a select fa which means we can pick our cabin. Currently the cabin is being used as an isolation cabin apparently (they agreed) but no one at P&O can tell me what will happen if we have paid in full and the cabin is not available. They do not know what our terms and conditions will be if they decide to downgrade the cabin and in effect give us a cruise we certainly did not want and would NOT have booked other than for the cabin we paid select for.

It is now making me cross

North Wales is looking more and more appealing .......... 

so what it appears they do is wait until the last minute approx 4 weeks out, email you to tell you the cabin is not available and they are going to allocate you another cabin (for us it was a downgrade) and give you option to cancel if you want to. This does not provide enough time to find an alternative especially when you are limited to school holidays and have made commitments and bookings such as parking, hotels and kennels for the dogs.  They knew these cabins were isolation cabins at the time of booking and had no way of predicting when they would be released so they should never of been advised as available until they were sure they could be released.

3 minutes ago, Fozzie100 said:

so what it appears they do is wait until the last minute approx 4 weeks out, email you to tell you the cabin is not available and they are going to allocate you another cabin (for us it was a downgrade) and give you option to cancel if you want to. This does not provide enough time to find an alternative especially when you are limited to school holidays and have made commitments and bookings such as parking, hotels and kennels for the dogs.  They knew these cabins were isolation cabins at the time of booking and had no way of predicting when they would be released so they should never of been advised as available until they were sure they could be released.

If you cancel do you get the money back or does it become FCC ?

On 3/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, Fozzie100 said:

Family of 4 - We are due to go on 14th April Azura from Malta.  Booked hotel night before flights, flight seats, airport parking, dogs in kennels, it is an itinerary we have been wanting to go on, 50th birthday, belated 20th anniversary, daughters 18th and probably one of the last holidays we will go on as a family of four.  PandO have informed us that due to operational changes they cannot now offer us our cabin and have downgraded us!!!.  They have offered to refund the difference and offered additional OBC (still waiting to see what that is) or we can cancel…..  not the best news considering we are only 5 weeks away and really looking forward to going….  We had booked a larger cabin because there are 4 ‘adults’ and the cabin now offered will not work for us..

I know there are bigger things happening in the world but just letting people know this can happen.

We just read this again.

We booked our cruise ages ago when it first became available so we got a really good price. I doubt that a move to a lower grade would now be much of a difference in terms of money.

What was your additional OBC look like if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, Fozzie100 said:

Full refund was offered

That's something I suppose ----- the worst that can happen is that we spend 2 weeks in Wales and we can live with than ! Not sure what the cattery would say ---- we have already cancelled 3 holidays with them and they have been patient to be fair to them

Just wondering - IF we unable to have the cabin we booked and they allocate another cabin that we do not want are we able to ask them for a specific one IF it is available? Or is this just guess work as they have to deal with each case separately? 

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just wondering - IF we unable to have the cabin we booked and they allocate another cabin that we do not want are we able to ask them for a specific one IF it is available? Or is this just guess work as they have to deal with each case separately? 

Yesterday my sister was re-allocated a deck 14 cabin for our May cruise on Iona  in the covid cabin shuffle. She called P&O to ask if a specific cabin was available on deck 10 and it was so she’s taken that one. It’s worth asking 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/8/2022 at 11:30 PM, Pippa04 said:

Exactly. Something as simple as assessing cabin availability once full balances were paid and putting a hold on cabins that may be needed for those who had booked almost 2 years in advance may have alleviated a lot of the problems.  A stressful situation is made far worse by the knowledge that a cabin which would have suited your needs has been sold cheaply to a late booker while you are being fobbed off because everyone is too busy to engage with you.

Little things can make a huge difference.

Any news on your problem Fozzie100? 

hello

I have sent in another complaint as they did not address any of my points in their response apart from   ‘I am terribly sorry to hear of your disappointment with the suite you had booked for your upcoming cruise being changed. Due to our framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests we are currently operating at a reduced guest capacity and we need to take an approved number of cabins out of service. 

From looking at your booking, I can see that we have been able to amend the booking so you now have two cabins booked, one of which is a superior deluxe balcony cabin and the other is an inside cabin. I hope that you have found this resolution to be suitable for your families needs.’

From my last email i pointed out that I was far from happy!!!.  I have one mailed Paul Ludlow again advising that the response I received was far from acceptable….  Awaiting a reply.

Edited by Fozzie100
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fozzie100 said:

hello

I have sent in another complaint as they did not address any of my points in their response apart from   ‘I am terribly sorry to hear of your disappointment with the suite you had booked for your upcoming cruise being changed. Due to our framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests we are currently operating at a reduced guest capacity and we need to take an approved number of cabins out of service. 

From looking at your booking, I can see that we have been able to amend the booking so you now have two cabins booked, one of which is a superior deluxe balcony cabin and the other is an inside cabin. I hope that you have found this resolution to be suitable for your families needs.’

From my last email i pointed out that I was far from happy!!!.  I have one mailed Paul Ludlow again advising that the response I received was far from acceptable….  Awaiting a reply.

I can see how you would be unhappy but you will have two bathrooms and the superior deluxe cabins have a large balcony. It depends if the inside cabin is nearby.