Fuel surcharge

Arizona Wildcat

8 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Unless, like us, you have 5 people you are paying for on a 10 day cruise.... $500!

In the late 2000s it varied by line and the lines altered their policies a bit, I believe most capped it off on 7 days and the full rate was only for the first two pax.

There are alternatives to charging fuel surcharges such as price hikes to new bookings.  I'd be very surprised to see them charge for it because they're not yet sailing full and when cruising was "dead in the water" many flocked to land based resorts.

Considering the times we are in, I'd say a surcharge is fine with me.  The only way we're going to get through this war is to cut Russia off completely.  To do that, we need to stop buying Russian oil and start pumping our own again.  Russia's life blood is oil and if no one is buying, Russia is dying.

Things are going to be a bit more expensive and if it means getting rid of that cockroach, I'm all in.   Quit whining about a surcharge and just go have fun.  If you're complaining about a few hundred bucks,

nothing is going to make you happy...even 5, 7, 14, 180 nights at sea.

• Like 2

Because a surcharge at this fragile re-start time would give some pause, I'm thinking they won't do it.

However, they may be a little more aggressive in baking higher fuel costs into the fares I'm seeing for late 23 and 24.

Advisory: My wife has informed me I'm not always right.😉

Edited by jimmieg
Spelling

On 3/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

At what point does Celebrity add a fuel surcharge?  There were a bunch of surcharges in 2008.  The contract gives the right to charge up to $10 per day for new and existing bookings.

Thoughts?

Why stir the pot?

11 minutes ago, Rjbobalou said:

Why stir the pot?

I did not see anything in what Arizona Wildcat wrote as stirring the pot. It was simple question relating to cruising. And a question that I suspect many of the other cruisers (myself being one of them) have wondered as well.

Spoilt

I do remember the fuel surcharges in the late 00s... 

Since we are 5 in two rooms, even if capped at first 2 pax per room, it still can be pricey.  Not sure about the rest of you but while the cost of everything is going up very quickly around me (gas, groceries, etc) my wages are flat, without even a cost of living adjustment in a few years.  Eventually the math starts not working so well.

I would think that RCG probably has a fairly top team (fuel ) in that area of the business, last I saw it fuel was 20% of their costs.  But really, the increased fuel costs are going to be reflected in you total cruise cost, one way or another!